Found Unlisted Geocache- Can't find Online

Rie29

I was looking for the final of "The Big Bang Theory" and found another geocache before I found the final. This other cache had an official geocache sticker, so I don't think it's from another listing site. The name of the cache is "For The Love of Multi-Caching!" by the user Lukin8R, this was written on the front of the logbook. There were a fair amount of signatures, and the most recent dates were from 2012. I found the users profile, but he has not hidden a cache by this name or in this area. I went on Project GC Map Compare and none of the archived nearby caches seem to be this one. Just confirming- it is impossible to completely delete a cache listing so it doesn't appear on gc.com, right? (unless you are a lackey or staff). Does anyone want to help me do some detective work and see if this is anywhere on the internet? Thanks!

That username has never written up a cache page for a multicache -- published, retracted, never submitted or otherwise.

There are no caches with that name, or anything close to it, within two miles of the puzzle cache you referenced.

So, I struck out, even using reviewer powers. Someone more awesome than I, like palmetto, might have better luck through deeper searching.

May have hidden it under another name, or it's someone else's cache, and he looks after it. (Or not!)

Tried looking at the names of those that have signed, and searching for their Found caches?

IF it's a Multi, it could start -and be listed- 'several' miles away from the final locaton.

Update: The last who people signed the logbook on this unlisted cache (t4e and dfx) found it on April 7th, 2013. Another person in the logs of big bang theory (F33APilot) said they found a letterbox not listed on the site. I don't think this is a letterbox because there was no stamp, or stamp prints in the logbook. Went on t4e's found caches and nothing found on that date seems to match this one. It must be archived because it is not far enough from the final of Big Bang Theory for both to be in publication at the same time. Very confused about this one. :blink:

Edited by Rie29

But there are no archived or unpublished caches, or hidden waypoints associated with archived or unpublished caches, within 528 feet of the final cache location for "Big Bang Theory." In the entire history of Geocaching.com, there's never been a waypoint recorded in the database within 528 feet of Big Bang Theory.

May have hidden it under another name, or it's someone else's cache, and he looks after it. (Or not!)

Tried looking at the names of those that have signed, and searching for their Found caches?

IF it's a Multi, it could start -and be listed- 'several' miles away from the final locaton.

Update: The last who people signed the logbook on this unlisted cache (t4e and dfx) found it on April 7th, 2013. Another person in the logs of big bang theory (F33APilot) said they found a letterbox not listed on the site. I don't think this is a letterbox because there was no stamp, or stamp prints in the logbook. Went on t4e's found caches and nothing found on that date seems to match this one. It must be archived because it is not far enough from the final of Big Bang Theory for both to be in publication at the same time. Very confused about this one. :blink:

I emailed t4e and got this reply:

No idea what cache that is though, we found a few caches not active but neither one of us remembers that particular one.

So, that's a dead-end, I guess.

... This other cache had an official geocache sticker, so I don't think it's from another listing site...

Since it looks like it has a sticker that is associated with this site and not another site, I'm guessing that someone set the container out in anticipation of making the page and so on, but they changed their mind about it after telling a bunch of friends about the unpublished cache (perhaps a GC club); then they never picked up the container. I believe that would "cover all the facts": cache container, sticker, signatures, no listing that even a lackey can find.

That reduces the mysteries only to why they changed their mind, and why they didn't bother with picking up the container. Though the latter may have something to do with the former. Perhaps someone who signed the log before the cache page was constructed made a remark about the container or placement or area or something.

I remember the other caches that day, going by the logs. I DNFd Big Bang theory and can't remember where I found the letterbox. At the time I do think there was a stamp. I don't often look for letterboxes so the do stand out to me.

Sorry I can't solve this for you. Should have asked me years ago closer to the date.

But there are no archived or unpublished caches, or hidden waypoints associated with archived or unpublished caches, within 528 feet of the final cache location for "Big Bang Theory." In the entire history of Geocaching.com, there's never been a waypoint recorded in the database within 528 feet of Big Bang Theory.

Correct me if I am wrong, but multi-caches and mystery caches hidden in the early days of geocaching did not have to have their final waypoints listed. I remember at one point, our reviewer requested people update them on our local forums, but I don't think everyone did this. I still run into situations once in a while where I find an old multi-cache final that is closer to another cache than the 528 foot guideline. Is may be possible it was one of those caches.....

I guess this one will remain a mystery! :huh:

It may have been listed on Garmin's OpenCaching site. :anibad:

No way to tell now that they pulled the plug. :laughing:

That is a possibility! But with the sticker and amount of signatures in the log I'm pretty sure this one was linked to gc.com somehow.

... This other cache had an official geocache sticker, so I don't think it's from another listing site...

Since it looks like it has a sticker that is associated with this site and not another site, I'm guessing that someone set the container out in anticipation of making the page and so on, but they changed their mind about it after telling a bunch of friends about the unpublished cache (perhaps a GC club); then they never picked up the container. I believe that would "cover all the facts": cache container, sticker, signatures, no listing that even a lackey can find.

That reduces the mysteries only to why they changed their mind, and why they didn't bother with picking up the container. Though the latter may have something to do with the former. Perhaps someone who signed the log before the cache page was constructed made a remark about the container or placement or area or something.

That may actually be the case, but I would need to go back and investigate the log further to see if that is the case (a GC Club would sign all on the same date, or on very close dates, not over a few years). I agree that the owner likely changed their mind on this cache, but I don't think it had anything to do with the container/location, since it was a regular tupperware in a stump, not much to to comment on. They probably just lost interest.

I remember the other caches that day, going by the logs. I DNFd Big Bang theory and can't remember where I found the letterbox. At the time I do think there was a stamp. I don't often look for letterboxes so the do stand out to me.

Sorry I can't solve this for you. Should have asked me years ago closer to the date.

There was definitely no stamp in the cache I found, so now there are possibly 2 unlisted caches/letterboxes near The Big Bang Theory! Very odd.

Is my name in the log somewhere? If yes and you let me know what date I signed the log, I can look it up. At one point I had all of the caches in Oakville found.

You signed the log of The Big Bang Theory on 10/26/12, but I didn't look close enough at the log of the unlisted to remember specific names or dates (except t4e and dfx). I want to go back and investigate this cache further, and I'll take pictures of the logbook, so when I go back I will let you know. However if a lackey can't find this cache online I don't know who can!

Edited by Rie29

Correct me if I am wrong, but multi-caches and mystery caches hidden in the early days of geocaching did not have to have their final waypoints listed. I remember at one point, our reviewer requested people update them on our local forums, but I don't think everyone did this. I still run into situations once in a while where I find an old multi-cache final that is closer to another cache than the 528 foot guideline. Is may be possible it was one of those caches.....

Hmmm, that is another possible scenario. The only flaw I see in that is that the owner Lukin8R joined gc.com in 2008, and I think the 528 foot guideline was in place by then.

That is a possibility! But with the sticker and amount of signatures in the log I'm pretty sure this one was linked to gc.com somehow.

I believe that t4e and dfx were both members there on OX in 2010 if I recall correctly. :unsure:

Edit to add: Most listings there on OX were cross-listed from GC, so likely it was connected here. :anibad:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I believe that t4e and dfx were both members there on OX in 2010 if I recall correctly. :unsure:

Edit to add: Most listings there on OX were cross-listed from GC, so likely it was connected here. :anibad:

Do you know when this site closed? I could compare that with dates in the logbook.

Do you know when this site closed? I could compare that with dates in the logbook.

It disappeared without a trace on Friday August 14th and Garmin did tweet about it on the 12th.

Hmmm, that is another possible scenario. The only flaw I see in that is that the owner Lukin8R joined gc.com in 2008, and I think the 528 foot guideline was in place by then.

While it is true that the 528 foot guideline was in place long before 2008, I'm pretty sure that the requirement to enter the final waypoint coordinates for a multicache did not occur until later. The posted coordinates for the cache in question could actually be miles from the final stage.

You might want to try contacting other signers of the logbook. I see that both t4e and dfx have a very high number of finds. I find that cachers with fewer finds are much more likely to remember details of a specific hide when I contact them with questions. They're more interested in the caching experience, rather than just racking up smiley numbers.

Edited by medoug

While it is true that the 528 foot guideline was in place long before 2008, I'm pretty sure that the requirement to enter the final waypoint coordinates for a multicache did not occur until later. The posted coordinates for the cache in question could actually be miles from the final stage.

The 528 foot guideline was in place, but would not matter in the case of an old multi, because a newer cache could get published closer than 528 feet to the cache. The reviewer would not know where the final stage was located, so has no reason not to publish the new cache. I found one a couple weeks ago that was like that. That being said, probably the best way to figure it out is to go back and take pics of the log book pages so you can see what caches different cachers who signed it have in common on the dates they signed it.

Just to add more intrigue, it looks like Lukin8R changed their username at some point - according to a changed log on one of their archived caches, at least until August 2009 they were caching as lukester11123. So if the log has Lukin8R on it, it was probably from after the username was changed, so after August 2009.

Also, from another log, this CO mentions that they do not live in Canada any more - a log from 2013, if that helps. (Although from finds, it looks like they might be back in Canada more recently, but not in Ontario necessarily, and not caching very much)

I was going to say this cache could also be from a multi or puzzle where the final coords listed on the site are not actually the same as the real final - although Lukin8R has only 3 trads listed and no multis or puzzles.

Could someone else have gone by the name Lukin8R prior to this cacher? Unlikely but possible - I know cachers who have changed their usernames more than once... including one who wanted to change back to a previous incarnation only to find someone else now has it.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

When I was an FBI agent we used our secret techniques to solve mysteries like this: we ask the person who actually knows the answer. It doesn't look like anyone has contacted Lukin8r. He hasn't been active since 2008, but his profile is there, so if he still has that same email he should get a message delivered to his inbox. (I say he because from the photos in the gallery, Lukin8r seems to be male). He might reply.

When I was an FBI agent we used our secret techniques to solve mysteries like this: we ask the person who actually knows the answer. It doesn't look like anyone has contacted Lukin8r. He hasn't been active since 2008, but his profile is there, so if he still has that same email he should get a message delivered to his inbox. (I say he because from the photos in the gallery, Lukin8r seems to be male). He might reply.

Like this?

I emailed Lukin8R, see what he says.

Like this?

:laughing:

Like this?

That's the FBI for ya! :lol: