SouthCentral PA: event cache June 1 '02

MissJenn

This should be a blast! We hope to place several one-day event caches with unique themes AND "Quality" trade items. Now's the time to come on out for some good, clean fun and meet fellow cachers. How about it? Where are my caching-compatriots from MD, NJ, NY, DE, VA, WVA & DC??? Let's get together.

quote:
Originally posted by CCCooperAgency:

We hope to place several one-day event caches with unique themes

I like themes. icon_cool.gif Let us know - if you can - what the themes are ahead of time, so we can bring appropriate items for trading....

Also:

Did y'all notice? We have people coming from as far away as VA! And even a New Zealander (by way of DC)!

quote:
Originally posted by CCCooperAgency:

We hope to place several one-day event caches with unique themes

I like themes. icon_cool.gif Let us know - if you can - what the themes are ahead of time, so we can bring appropriate items for trading....

Also:

Did y'all notice? We have people coming from as far away as VA! And even a New Zealander (by way of DC)!

And i think I just might have another 3 people comming along also!!! yipee!

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

http://users.beanstalk.net/jsk/geocaching.htm.

icon_cool.gif We could have almost 100 people coming to this thing! Cool!

Now we need people to think about what they might be bringing. Things we could use are listed on the web page above.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 09, 2002 at 07:04 PM.]

And i think I just might have another 3 people comming along also!!! yipee!

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

http://users.beanstalk.net/jsk/geocaching.htm.

icon_cool.gif We could have almost 100 people coming to this thing! Cool!

Now we need people to think about what they might be bringing. Things we could use are listed on the web page above.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 09, 2002 at 07:04 PM.]

Greetings Folks!

Due to several "what if" questions regarding the weather and the large number of people attending the picnic - we will probably be moving the location to somewhere with a pavilion.

This is also due to the fact that Uncle Sam has called me to duty 31May02 in support of the 2500 Pennsylvania troops headed to Bosnia. I will not have a raindate if it pours Saturday and would probably have to delay this until Autumn. Loads of people have altered all sorts of plans to make it on June 1st.

This will allow us to have a roof over the rain-haters, the food spread and the prizes.

Exact info should be posted soon. Sorry for any confusion.

Sincerely,

PULASKI

GREETINGS!

We need someone to bring a digital camera with BETTER THAN AVERAGE RESOLUTION.

Something along the lines of a pro model.

We need high-quality, high-res images for the webpage and to send to GARMIN and MAGELLIN/THALES ( at their request for donating apparel ).

If you have something like this please reply here.

Thanks,

PULASKI

quote:
Originally posted by PeterNCrystal:

... or even if we go on yahoo and make up our own chatroom... it's really easy to do... Just a thought!

Hiya.

Good idea, PeterNCrystal, but ...I just wanted to stay within the geocaching Forums - just to keep it contained a little bit, ya know? icon_smile.gif Not everyone is as "webified" as others, so I hoped to lessen confusion.

I hope that's OK?

We'll save the rapid chatter for the actual picnic date! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by PeterNCrystal:

... or even if we go on yahoo and make up our own chatroom... it's really easy to do... Just a thought!

Hiya.

Good idea, PeterNCrystal, but ...I just wanted to stay within the geocaching Forums - just to keep it contained a little bit, ya know? icon_smile.gif Not everyone is as "webified" as others, so I hoped to lessen confusion.

I hope that's OK?

We'll save the rapid chatter for the actual picnic date! icon_biggrin.gif

Greetings All!

We have secured what is quite possibly the last pavilion available for Saturday June 1st! Thanks to LES (PATLES) for being at the park office when it opened today.

The picnic will be held at Pavilion#33 at Buchmiller Park ( just south of Lancaster ).

Les reports "It is a really nice spot, neatly landscaped, well shaded, with electricity, running water, 18 large picnic tables, 3 small (16") grills and one large (36") covered grill onsite, and just a couple hundred feet from the Conestoga River and a hiking trail along an abandoned rail line. Within walking distance are: rest rooms, playground, tennis courts, ball field, and a Disc Golf Course, whatever that is"

In the ADC LANCASTER CO Mapbook it is: MAP40 F 9-10

More info will be put out later today.

Sincerely,PULASKI

all this is from Les (of username: PatLes)

quote:

Established (easy) cache about a mile away (starts at a scenic Lancaster county covered bridge): 

Lancaster County Kid's Cache

Caches a few miles away (to do before arriving or after leaving the picnic):

Scout house cache

Captain Morgan's Treasure

(Many others within 10-15 miles, of course.)

Also, there is an NGS benchmark within 500' of the pavilion (allegedly, although I couldn't find it). Go to: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_radius.prl

and enter the pavilion coordinates (N400053   W0761813), set search radius to 1.0 miles, and get the info. (Use your compass!)

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 15, 2002 at 08:04 PM.]

MissJenn

Since we will all have a chance to meet face to face it would be great to have folks bring with them all there favorite equipment for finding a cache. At some point if there is sufficient participation we could do a kind of "show and tell" for equipment. Like if any one uses external antenna or DGPS etc. Also great to tell about you’re best techniques for finding the cache in that final circle of estimated error. ie compase search pattern etc.

The Pirate [:D] and The Pirate Wench [icon_wink.gif]

MissJenn

Since we will all have a chance to meet face to face it would be great to have folks bring with them all there favorite equipment for finding a cache. At some point if there is sufficient participation we could do a kind of "show and tell" for equipment. Like if any one uses external antenna or DGPS etc. Also great to tell about you’re best techniques for finding the cache in that final circle of estimated error. ie compase search pattern etc.

The Pirate [:D] and The Pirate Wench [;)]

GREETINGS!

First, if you havent been contacted about NAME BADGES - please email Greg at gnbrotz@innernet.net and let him know your TEAM NAME ( if you have one ), TRAIL NAME ( if you use a name different than your given name ) and your REAL NAME ( first name or first and last - your choice ).

He is making a standardized name badge for people. He will have blanks to fill in at the picnic but this way most people will have a pre-printed model in a standard format.

I like the PIRATES' idea of bringing gear. Maybe we can all learn something new! There should be enough room to have table just to display gear. I KNOW that someone will be a GPS Superstar and have a very expensive GPS that will make the rest of us cry!

A friend of mine has a vehicle mounted GPS and screen and the icon is a miniature version of his truck!! Thats high speed!

Sincerely,

PULASKI icon_smile.gif

GREETINGS!

First, if you havent been contacted about NAME BADGES - please email Greg at gnbrotz@innernet.net and let him know your TEAM NAME ( if you have one ), TRAIL NAME ( if you use a name different than your given name ) and your REAL NAME ( first name or first and last - your choice ).

He is making a standardized name badge for people. He will have blanks to fill in at the picnic but this way most people will have a pre-printed model in a standard format.

I like the PIRATES' idea of bringing gear. Maybe we can all learn something new! There should be enough room to have table just to display gear. I KNOW that someone will be a GPS Superstar and have a very expensive GPS that will make the rest of us cry!

A friend of mine has a vehicle mounted GPS and screen and the icon is a miniature version of his truck!! Thats high speed!

Sincerely,

PULASKI icon_smile.gif

Pulaski,

The Pirates will bring theirSony Mavica it will do 1216 X 912 and records on Floppy so you can take it with you right on the spot. Also converts on the fly to 640 X 480 for down load areas that restrict the bytes size of the jpeg files. Even if you find something higher we will have it there for recording other candid and cache photo's.

The Pirate

quote:
Originally posted by The Pirate and Pirate Wench:

Since we will all have a chance to meet face to face it would be great to have folks bring with them all there favorite equipment for finding a cache. At some point if there is sufficient participation we could do a kind of "show and tell" for equipment.

Okay, cachers: you heard the Pirate and his wench.

COME PREPPED FOR SHOW AND TELL icon_cool.gif

This will surely be an informal thing, so please, no powerpoint presentations or anything. icon_wink.gif

Let's tentatively schedule this in for, oh I dunno what time ... check the picnic website for the latest. icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 17, 2002 at 07:26 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The Pirate and Pirate Wench:

Since we will all have a chance to meet face to face it would be great to have folks bring with them all there favorite equipment for finding a cache. At some point if there is sufficient participation we could do a kind of "show and tell" for equipment.

Okay, cachers: you heard the Pirate and his wench.

COME PREPPED FOR SHOW AND TELL icon_cool.gif

This will surely be an informal thing, so please, no powerpoint presentations or anything. icon_wink.gif

Let's tentatively schedule this in for, oh I dunno what time ... check the picnic website for the latest. icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 17, 2002 at 07:26 AM.]

'the park is known for its open lawn area and arboretum-type plantings'

Sorry folks - looks like we will NOT be able to do any geocaching at this location based on park's self-description. Too bad, we had 6 caches already to go in at Middle Creek with really nice themes & quality trade items. TheREALBug also indicates that she will NOT be placing her 2 at this location either.

I thought geocaching was part of the deal?!? Looks like there won't be any

Oh well,guess we'll have to wait until 6/29 for the MD event to geocache/meet.

I can bring a digital camera with 2048x1536 resolution for photos if thats high-enough res? I can also speak in a funny accent that will be guaranteed to get a few laughs icon_wink.gif I'm looking forward to this picnic, sounds like its going to be a great success rain or shine!

Cheers Gav aka rediguana aka thekiwi icon_smile.gif

I can bring a digital camera with 2048x1536 resolution for photos if thats high-enough res? I can also speak in a funny accent that will be guaranteed to get a few laughs icon_wink.gif I'm looking forward to this picnic, sounds like its going to be a great success rain or shine!

Cheers Gav aka rediguana aka thekiwi icon_smile.gif

Greetings!

Thanks for the offer of your camera RedIguana. I think resolution in the four digit range should be great. Can you tell Im no digital imagery master?? :-)

Also, will you say "throw another shrimp on the barbie" for us? I know thats Australian but you are the closest thing we will have to an Aussie at the picnic!

How do you folks get those neat signature photo/images for the forum? I want one!

Thanks,

PULASKI

quote:
Originally posted by Pulaski:How do you folks get those neat signature photo/images for the forum?

It is called your avatar and you access that feature by going to My Cache > "Change your account information".

EDIT: Nice mug, Pulaski! icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 19, 2002 at 03:01 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Pulaski:How do you folks get those neat signature photo/images for the forum?

It is called your avatar and you access that feature by going to My Cache > "Change your account information".

EDIT: Nice mug, Pulaski! icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 19, 2002 at 03:01 PM.]

Little diff location but we are still planing on going. I will also bring my 2mp digicam. I also bought a cool thing for the cache if one is still going to be done.

It the Jungle Mission Pez Dispensers.

http://www.spectrumnet.com/pez/store3.html

There are some nice fishing spots neer by. Also not to far away (30 minutes) is muddy run park that has a cache or two.

(EDIT)I could also bring my digital camcorder to get some video and try to make some movies for the net(EDIT)

geocaching.gif

Joshua M. Curtis

http://www.curtisonline.net/

Greetings!

Summary of caches for picnic day:

1. Lancaster Co Kids Cache nearby

2. Picnic cache will be open - feel free to donate whatever item you wish to get this one started. A volunteer(s) is needed to stash this after the picnic.

3. Several one day caches will be hidden. More info on this soon.

4. Their are several locationless cache possibilities nearby: disk golf cache, covered bridge cache, USGS marker cache,etc. These locations may or may not already be scored. Check out www.brillig.com/geocaching/ if you havent seen Ed Hall's master list of odd caches!

Thanks.

Sincerely,

PULASKI

I hope that I am doing this correctly. I have never been in a forum/chat type room and I don't quite know what all the symbols at the top and bottom stand for.

Anyway, Miss Jenn asked me to get into the picnic forum page to repeat what I wrote on the picnic page. I am on the Fire/Rescue Squad where I live in Bucks County and I will be bringing my first aid equipment with me to the picnic and will be offering my abilities and experience when called upon. Ask and I will respond.

Sickticket

Greetings!

CCCooper & Crew, after much hard work in prepping 8 caches for the picnic, has decided that it is in the best political interest of all geocachers to use the one day approval for June 1st 2002 ( the date of the picnic which is now being held in Lancaster )

Lynn will be stashing caches at the Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area on 6/1/02. The best zipcode to use for a search is 17039. There is plenty of time in the morning for people to hit Middle Creek and then travel to Lancaster or to spend the whole day at either location.

Lynn also brought up the important issue of access for a variety of activities on public lands. This is a critical action for the future of any sport that uses these lands.

In Pennsylvania - GAME LANDS are purchased with the revenue generated from hunters and hunting licenses. There is no mandate or even right to access these lands by non-hunters. On the other hand, PA GAME & FOREST lands are taxpayer purchased.

I HIGHLY recommend that you write letters supporting ongoing land access to public property by varied groups such as geocachers, horseback riders, etc. Because taxpayers have a right to access GAME & FOREST lands it may be most beneficial to focus your lobbying on these areas first. Either way, it NEVER hurts to make elected and appointed officials aware of what is important to you.

PA Game Commissioners:

http://www.pfsc.org/PGCCommish.htm

PA Bureau of Forestry

James Grace

PO Box 8552

Harrisburg, PA 17105-8552

Phone: (717) 787-2703

Fax: (717) 783-5109

E-Mail: grace.james@al.pader.gov

PA State Parks

PO Box 8767

Harrisburg PA 17105

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/

Find your Pennsylvania Representative/Senator:

http://www2.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/findyourlegislator/find.cfm

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

PULASKI

quote:
Originally posted by Pulaski:

CCCooper & Crew, after much hard work in prepping 8 caches for the picnic, has decided that it is in the best political interest of all geocachers to use the one day approval for June 1st 2002 ( the date of the picnic which is now being held in Lancaster )

I been away for three days and been trying to catch up on what has been happening with the picnic. I'm a little confused. Will the picnic be held in the original location or just the caches be held there?

GeoScouter

There IS a lot going on! icon_wink.gif It's hard to keep track.

My latest intel is this: The picnic (aka event cache) will be held south of Lancaster City, in Buchmiller Park. The coords on the page are accurate. The word on the street is that other caches will be placed in the area JUST for that day.

There will also be caches put out at MiddleCreek by CCCooperAgency, just for June 1.

(May 20 - EDIT: This will not be happening.)

Thanks, Team Grayrun, for the link about this: new regulations governing the use of PA State Game Lands

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 20, 2002 at 05:13 AM.]

There IS a lot going on! icon_wink.gif It's hard to keep track.

My latest intel is this: The picnic (aka event cache) will be held south of Lancaster City, in Buchmiller Park. The coords on the page are accurate. The word on the street is that other caches will be placed in the area JUST for that day.

There will also be caches put out at MiddleCreek by CCCooperAgency, just for June 1.

(May 20 - EDIT: This will not be happening.)

Thanks, Team Grayrun, for the link about this: new regulations governing the use of PA State Game Lands

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 20, 2002 at 05:13 AM.]

quote:

You are welcome to visit both locations in one day!

If the caches are being put out for 1 day at MiddleCreek why isn't the picnic there? I thought

the picnic was going to be at MiddleCreek. Seems to make sense if we are there for the caches to stay there for the picnic.

GeoScouter

Greetings!

Lynn, the world's most prolific geocacher, has informed me that she has decided NOT to overextend people on June 1st and will not be putting out the caches at Middle Creek.

There WILL be temporary caches in/around Buchmiller Park on the day of the picnic.

Everything else remains the same.

Sincerely,

PULASKI icon_eek.gif

Greetings!

Lynn, the world's most prolific geocacher, has informed me that she has decided NOT to overextend people on June 1st and will not be putting out the caches at Middle Creek.

There WILL be temporary caches in/around Buchmiller Park on the day of the picnic.

Everything else remains the same.

Sincerely,

PULASKI icon_eek.gif

No matter how hard I try to make it work...I just can't attend. I really wanted to press CCCooper on how they do it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am leaving on June 3rd for two weeks in the Boundary Waters (N. Minnesota) and I just got committed to do a program for work on June 1st. That kinda sealed it.

I hope there is something else soon. Maybe a bit more Northward? icon_wink.gif We are a growing bunch up here!

Have fun everyone!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

No matter how hard I try to make it work...I just can't attend. I really wanted to press CCCooper on how they do it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am leaving on June 3rd for two weeks in the Boundary Waters (N. Minnesota) and I just got committed to do a program for work on June 1st. That kinda sealed it.

I hope there is something else soon. Maybe a bit more Northward? icon_wink.gif We are a growing bunch up here!

Have fun everyone!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

quote:
Originally posted by smoochnme:

I have a feeling that there will be talk that day of trying to keep events like this going, so we'll keep you posted.

Sorry that you can't make it. icon_frown.gif