No log in on a Mac with Safari

DnRseekers

I cant get to the log on page with my mac and safari. No way no how. Tried every back door I could think of and the browser reports cant open page, cant open a secure connection to the server. Im so frustrated. Waymarking is getting to be a PIA

BTW, tried isup.me and it reports it is them NOT me.

Also I can log on using a PC and it works fine. GRRRRRRRR.......

I haven't been able to login to Waymarking from Internet Explorer from my Windows XP notebook for several weeks now. It's not that it reports that the browser is too old (lots of things tell me that), it just always returns a server error.

Looks like the server is checking for only certain browsers or something and just denies your existence if it doesn't like what it sees.

Still not working as of 10/16/2015. Safari on Diane's iPhone 5 works fine on the same network but no luck with her Mac still.

And maybe I should start a new thread but for a week now I have not been able to log on using my android 4.1.2 for a week now using any of the browsers I have on it. All say the web page is not available when I click to log in,

Well Im at my witts end. Ive googled the problem and although Waymarking specifically is not mentioned there are people who have very similar problems with some sites and the security certificates. Waymarking uses thwate Primary Root CA - G2 for their security certificate. Here is what apple says to the error message I get from Waymarking on safari when trying to log on...

"If Safari says it can‘t establish a secure connection, or the website is using weak encryption

To protect your security and privacy, websites must use strong encryption to provide a secure web connection.

Security enhancements in OS X Yosemite v10.10.4 and iOS 8.4 help protect against important security vulnerabilities. If a webpage is on a server that doesn't meet secure cryptographic standards:

Safari will say that it will not open the website because it's using weak encryption.

Or Safari will say that it can't open the page because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server.

To resolve the issue, the website administrator should configure their server to be secure."

So where is a mac user to go from here? Just not log on and give up Waymarking? Between being the ugly step sister of geocaching and apple's attitude that they know whats best for me there seems to be no way to resolve this. HELP!

I always use my mac with safari to surf the internet, including to use Waymarking. It's been working fine since the site was fixed a few months ago. Issues with safari could be caused by internet speed, internet connection, modem, how busy the server is, how many devises are connected to the modem, time of day, and speed of your computer. I use a macbook 2009 version and it's fast. You might want to trouble shoot these or contact your internet provided. Both of which I have done in the past and usually get the problem fixed. I hope this helps.

You fail to mention what version of Mac OS X and Safari you are running.

Today’s Safari 9 has no problems and the mobile version of Safai on your wife’s iPhone is a modern Safari version.

If this problem is happening to you on a recent version of OS X, 10.10 or 10.11, the problem is going to be more mysterious.

I have this problem with only one of many Macs I use at my house. It is running OS X 10.7.5 with Safari 6.1.6. On this MacBook Air, both Firefox 42.0 and Chrome 47.0 can login to Waymarking.com, just fine. I’ve even created a brand new clean user account on this machine and Safari cannot login to Waymarking on that account. I’ve read many postings, like you, trying to solve this problem, regarding expired certiificates, tweaking MTU settings and other low-level stuff.

The one thing I see in Firefox, hovering over the globe in front of the Waymarking URL, on this problem machine, is a tool tip saying that "this machine does not supply identity information". This could be implicating the Groundspeak servers as being substandard in today’s secure Internet. That would be why some secure servers (https) work on your problme machine, but not other. When I’m at geocaching using FireFox on this machine, the same tool tip says “Verified by GeoTrust inc.” While at the Forums login page, the tool tip is the same as the waymrking tip, but the login forums does complete successfully.

I just discovered that I have the same problem on a PowerPC Mac Mini running OS X 10.5.8 with Safari 5.0.6.

At some not too long ago time in the past, I was able to login to Waymarking.com on this MacBook Air, so something has changed over time.

My first guess was that’s its related to security protocols of older Safari versions and possibly expired certificates.

It could also be the Waymarking web server changes. Interestingly, I have no problem connecting to geocaching.com on either the 10.5.x or 10.7.x.

To me this says that Groundspeak servers (Waymarking.com, geocaching.com and forums.Groundspeak.com) are set up differently with regards to their login security.

Perhaps someone at Groundspeak could check into this, given the above information.

Try creating a brand new clean user account, on the problem machine and try logging into Waymarking.com from Safari on that account. Also try logging in to geocaching.com and the forums site to see if they succeed. Success for geocaching and forums sites, but still failure for Waymarking, starts to implicate the Groundspeak servers.

In the meantime, the alternative I’m using is to set FireFox or Chrome as my default browser, to work around the seeming Safari problem.