Submit cache preview map error

Matthisco

Hello,

I can't preview my location on the map here, https://www.geocaching.com/hide/typelocation.aspx when submitting my coordinates.

I've entered my numbers as it recommends in the help, N 39 03.857 W 145 12.263, but no map appears on the page and no error validation in the browser saying my values are incorrect.

I do get a console log though:

Uncaught Error: Invalid LatLng object: (NaN, NaN)

Using Chrome version 46.0.2490.71 m

Any ideas?

Thanks

When i use N 52 27 53.92 W 2 01 49.77 (degrees, minutes, seconds) in the Hide a Cache form, it automatically converts to N 52° 27.899 W 002° 01.830

(degrees minutes, decimal minutes) and the map displays fine. Somewhere in Halesowen, West Midlands, United Kingdom

Of course, the coords are on someone's roof, near the back of their yard, off Greenhill Rd. So they're probably not right for your cache.

But the map does work.

When i use N 52 27 53.92 W 2 01 49.77 (degrees, minutes, seconds) in the Hide a Cache form, it automatically converts to N 52° 27.899 W 002° 01.830

(degrees minutes, decimal minutes) and the map displays fine. Somewhere in Halesowen, West Midlands, United Kingdom

Of course, the coords are on someone's roof, near the back of their yard, off Greenhill Rd. So they're probably not right for your cache.

But the map does work.

Thanks for the reply.

I cant see that map I just get a blank space, attached

Capture.PNG

Edited by Matthisco

If the map isn't showing up at all, there's some kind of configuration problem on your end. The map should be showing even before you enter anything in the coordinate field (centered on your home coordinates), so it has nothing to do with your coordinate format.

Can you try it with a different browser and see if that works? Maybe you have a Chrome add-on that's interfering and causing the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Tried Chrome, Firefox and IE now, still no map. Also, disabled antivirus.

It's definately a bug, I get a javascript error: Invalid LatLng object: (NaN, NaN) with the leaflet.js plugin which generates the map for mobile.

Is there another way I can preview my chords? I'm waiting to place a cache.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply.

Tried Chrome, Firefox and IE now, still no map. Also, disabled antivirus.

It's definately a bug, I get a javascript error: Invalid LatLng object: (NaN, NaN) with the leaflet.js plugin which generates the map for mobile.

Is there another way I can preview my chords? I'm waiting to place a cache.

Thanks again.

This is NOT a bug. The map is working fine (Firefox). A bug is a problem for all, or at least many. A problem that ONLY you are experiencing is frustrating, but you are going to have to find your own solution. What device are you using to mark your cache hide? I have complete confidence in my GPS unit, and my ability to operate it properly. Lack of a map preview would not be an issue for me. Did you look at the list of valid coordinate format entries on that page? Do all of them make sense to you? Try using some of these coordinate examples. And also try using your own numbers in place of the example numbers.

Coordinate Formats

Coordinates can be entered in any of the formats below (degree, minute and second symbols are optional):

N 39 03.857 W 145 12.263

N 26 42.773 E 174 32.406

N 39° 03' 51.420" W 145° 12' 15.780"

39.064280, -145.204380

S 48.8690° E 003.8225°

which generates the map for mobile

I take it you're trying to do this from a phone? that may be the issue.

>>> Try it from a PC, if you haven't already.

You should see a map that's centered roughly around your home coords even before you enter coords into the box. Not a blank page, no map.

>>> Another thought is that you're somehow going forward with this without having home coords set? or with some weird home coords set?

You're stopped if you try to start a cache page without having home coords in the system, and sent to the page to set home location - https://www.geocaching.com/account/settings/homelocation

But if you managed to get that far without having any home coords set, or with some incoherent coords set, that might prevent the map from loading, having no reference point to start.

Try going to the homelocation page and get those coords right, if they aren't already

Good luck!

which generates the map for mobile

I take it you're trying to do this from a phone? that may be the issue.

>>> Try it from a PC, if you haven't already.

You should see a map that's centered roughly around your home coords even before you enter coords into the box. Not a blank page, no map.

>>> Another thought is that you're somehow going forward with this without having home coords set? or with some weird home coords set?

You're stopped if you try to start a cache page without having home coords in the system, and sent to the page to set home location - https://www.geocaching.com/account/settings/homelocation

But if you managed to get that far without having any home coords set, or with some incoherent coords set, that might prevent the map from loading, having no reference point to start.

Try going to the homelocation page and get those coords right, if they aren't already

Good luck!

THankyou Isonzo!!!!

Set my home location and it works like a dream!!! Thankyou so much

This remains a bug, just in case anyone is monitoring this forum :) Googling "Submit a geocache" takes you directly to this form, and users do not have a home location set by default.

And tsk tsk to the guy above immediately arguing it's not a but just because it works for him...

18 hours ago, mewgoo said:

This remains a bug

It's not a bug that the system requires you to set a home location before you hide a cache.  It's a feature.  Or, at least, a requirement.

Go set your home location, and the error message should go away.  If it doesn't, NOW you've got a bug to report.

Edited by hzoi

I agree with mewgoo, there's still a bug.

It didn't take much for me to get into the Hide a Cache form, logged out, so an unknown, no home coords entity, and just role along, until  I received this useless error message:

Oops! There was an error loading potential geocache locations. Please try again later.

The form should require login and home coords, and the messaging should direct a user correctly.