5 Ml conical vials.

Painnsufferin

In my town, there is very little creativity in caches

The "creative" vial caches do get hidden, but are soon archived. Vials are designed to be opened/closed a couple of times and then discarded. The lid is the first thing to go, and now the cache log is shoved into the open tube. If you diligently maintain such a temporary container, replacing it on a schedule, it could work. I've never seen that happen.

I placed some similar tubes with screw-on lids & tiny O-rings, and then replaced them all with match tubes. Those threaded cap centrifuge tubes weren't bad, but I couldn't stand making people dig a teeny log sheet out (in tatters) and try to sign it.

Edited by kunarion

There are some black 2ml tubes of some sort that have screw on caps with decent (read, they hold up!) o-rings that we find out here frequently. They seem to survive use and elements lot better over time than the little 'flip cap' centrifuge tubes. Like, this, but black, though not sure there's any significant difference >> http://www.amazon.com/Heathrow-HS10060-Screw-Tubes-Ring/dp/B00TPT9MA6