Earthcache communication problem

Chocolate Lundi

Hi everyone. Opinions please...

Yesterday, like a lot of other geocachers, we went to complete an Earthcache in order for us to obtain the souvenir for International Earthcache Day 2015. We visited GC22EH7 and found out the answers to the questions posed by the CO. So far so good. When we got home I emailed the CO our answers and respectfully awaited confirmation that our answers are correct and that we can indeed log it as found. We are still waiting for confirmation. The CO has visited geocaching.com today (since we sent our correspondence), so they would have seen our answers, surely. I have also emailed the same message to their personal email link from the site but have had no reply there either. Other geocachers have had permission and have logged it already. So the CO is still active.

I would like to log it as a find but after reading down the previous logs, the CO has deleted some previous logs because the "finders" haven't complied with the rules set (logging it as found without permission). So I respect this and I am waiting patiently for an answer either "yes log it as found" or "no, you got something wrong there".

So, my question to everyone is this: do we get our souvenir if we log an Earthcache retrospectively? And am I doing the right thing if I resend messages? I don't want to seem impatient but I don't want it to be forgotten about either. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chocolate Lundi.

Hi everyone. Opinions please...

Yesterday, like a lot of other geocachers, we went to complete an Earthcache in order for us to obtain the souvenir for International Earthcache Day 2015. We visited GC22EH7 and found out the answers to the questions posed by the CO. So far so good. When we got home I emailed the CO our answers and respectfully awaited confirmation that our answers are correct and that we can indeed log it as found. We are still waiting for confirmation. The CO has visited geocaching.com today (since we sent our correspondence), so they would have seen our answers, surely. I have also emailed the same message to their personal email link from the site but have had no reply there either. Other geocachers have had permission and have logged it already. So the CO is still active.

I would like to log it as a find but after reading down the previous logs, the CO has deleted some previous logs because the "finders" haven't complied with the rules set (logging it as found without permission). So I respect this and I am waiting patiently for an answer either "yes log it as found" or "no, you got something wrong there".

So, my question to everyone is this: do we get our souvenir if we log an Earthcache retrospectively? And am I doing the right thing if I resend messages? I don't want to seem impatient but I don't want it to be forgotten about either. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chocolate Lundi.

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Logging a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=688

4.9. Logging an EarthCache or Virtual Cache

EarthCaches and Virtual Caches have additional logging requirements beyond visiting the location of the geocache and logging a "find". In many cases the geocacher is required to answer questions written by the cache owner regarding the cache location. In order to claim a find on the geocache, the seeker must send their answers to the questions, to the cache owner, either by email or Message Center.

For EarthCaches and Virtual Caches, you may also log your find on-line without waiting for an answer from the cache owner.

Here are the steps for contacting a geocache owner:

On the geocache page under the geocache title, you will see "a cache by (username)". Click on the username. You will be lead to the profile page for the user.

From the cache owner's profile page, you can choose either:

"Send Message" - uses the online Message Center

"Send Email"- uses email

Contact through the geocaching Message Center and through email sent via Geocaching.com are both legitimate ways for geocache finders to send required answers to a geocache owner. A cache owner cannot require that this information be sent through one particular tool.

Be sure to backdate your "found it" log to October 11.

B.

You don't need confirmation from the CO. Just log it.

The owner will e-mail you if something is wrong with your answers.

I was one of those geocachers. I sent my e-mail yesterday, today I got an e-mail from the CO thanking me for the visit to the EC and hoping that he helped me understanding a little more of the geology involved.

It's likely that the CO received many messages for Earth cache day, so maybe it's just taking a bit of extra time for them to get to yours. The cache listing says to wait for confirmation, but if you've already sent the answers then I would go ahead and log the cache as found. If there is a problem and the CO deletes your log, then you'll still be able to log it as 'found' later when whatever problems are resolved.

Note that, for this Earch cache and all other caches you log, you'll want to make sure the log date matches the date that you actually visited the cache. For example, if you find a cache on a Saturday but you don't log it until Monday, then you should adjust the date of your log to the Saturday date. This helps ensure you get credit for souvenirs that require logging on a specific date.

Correct dating of logs can also help other cachers and CO's. Sometimes people log a cache weeks after visiting a cache, but they use the logged date (ie, they log the cache in June) instead of using the found date (ie, they found the cache in May). If the cache had several DNF's after they found the cache in May, but then their 'found it' log shows up with a June date, then the CO and other cachers might think that the cache is really there and findable. It's not a huge issue, but it's nice to have accurate dating.

I never wait to log any cache. I log them "on the fly" in my GPS and they are imported in GSAK in the order we found them. Answers are send at the time of publishing the logs to GC. I've never had a log deleted to do so even if the CO puts a "no logging before answers are verified" in his listing.