Compatibility with windows 10

Can you further explain the problem?

Is it that the plugin isn't working (browser problem, not your OS)... the communicator plugins are no longer supported, so stop using the "Send to GPS" feature.

Or do your GPS devices not mount as mass storage drives at all? In which case you probably need drivers because for some reason that is how Windows works.

There are many threads relating to problems using the communcator with windows 10. You can look at those, but you should be able to copy gpx files straight to your device. I believe that the explorists have a geocaches folder. Use the gpx button to save individual files or load pocket queries to that folder. As long as your computer recognizes the gpsr as a device, you should be good to go,

I also have Windows 10. Cannot communicate with Magellan GC. Used Chrome but got a not compatible message. Tried Explorer but it just keeps looking around. Reset both the computer and the GC. Nope.

Computer recognized the GC and connects but I cannot send the Geocahces to it.

Any ideas?

Bob

Saving individual cache gpx files to my computer and then copying them into the geocache folder on my GPSr (Explorist 310) works OK, but it is slower and more cumbersome than using the plugin. Is Magellan not planning to update the communicator plugin at all? If not, why not?

Save each cache in a bookmark, and you can run a Pocket Query of that bookmark, to copy just one file containing all the caches. If you can live without picking & choosing each cache, you can run PQs of select areas on a schedule, and save a lot of work.

Loading only the caches you currently wish to hunt has its charms. Don't change your practice (say, to loading several 1000 cache PQs) without considering the pros and cons. But if you're using the Comunicator to send caches one at a time, then deleting them one at a time using the file manager, copying the files manually without using "Send To GPS" really is not all that much much work. Plus it's quite a bit more of a hassle if you're also working to keep the Communicator functional. It's quite technical, and took research, to get it working in Win 10 on IE11, and I keep reading that it's a security risk to do so.

There are some GPSrs that require a utility to upload the cache files. If or when the Communicator ceases to work in current web browsers, people will either have to use an older PC that still works (which I do for the Palm PDA and other old unsupported hardware and software), or they will have to find utilities that allow uploading the files. For an Explorist 310, the Communicator is not needed.

Is Magellan great about maintaining support for old products? Garmin is not, almost 100% of all companies also are not. Wild guess, there will be no updates to the Communicator.

Edited by kunarion

I also have Windows 10. Cannot communicate with Magellan GC. Used Chrome but got a not compatible message. Tried Explorer but it just keeps looking around. Reset both the computer and the GC. Nope.

Computer recognized the GC and connects but I cannot send the Geocahces to it.

Any ideas?

Bob

I had the same problem when I upgraded and bought a new laptop. My Explorist would not communicate with Windows10. I tried several apps and downloads for my laptop with no avail. However, I did finally find a great fix. At the time, My Explorist GC was running V1.7. After I upgraded the Explorist GC software to V2.5 things started working again and Windows10 recognized and was able to communicate with the Explorist GC. Follow the directions during the install. It took mine about 30 minutes to upgrade. Here is the link.

http://support.magel...=24&nav=0,18,24

eXplorist GC - Software Version 2.15 - PC

I'm having trouble with my Explorist 110, just bought today.

I'm running Windows 10, and the Communicator plug-in doesn't even support the 110.

Additionally, Windows Explorer doesn't register that I've plugged in the 110 to the PC, so I can't add caches to it manually.

Any thoughts, or am I completely screwed?