Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
JanekGeo

Why

Wondering the same thing. New to geocaching are there a lot of hams here?

73 KJ4YZK

Wondering the same thing. New to geocaching are there a lot of hams here?

73 KJ4YZK

Don't think so B)

We have 5 gc'ers in our local club.

There used to be quite a few HAM operators that were geocaching. Before affordable satellite communications were available, FMRS/GMRS and Shortwave were the way to keep in touch on the trails.

I can report that there are several active in the East Kootenay part of British Columbia.

Not that many ever talk to one another directly, but we do use it as a means of contact out there in the void where cell phones don't work well.

I believe it has been said before on here that the reason for the forum was that Hams were early adopters of GPS technology and were glad to have something else to do with them... Many of us were in SAR groups to boot and comm needs there were also tied in to GPS tech. Anyway, the forum came to be and survives... since it does not take up that much space and serves mostly to let people know who the others are... I can also state with fair assurance, that I see lots of people occasionally let slip that they are hams (or have been) in the course of reading the forums, while not having 'registered' into our base thread... which reminds me, I once years back attempted to count the number of discrete callsigns in there... probably a slightly bigger task than 7 years ago. Problem was to extract the text... then mine it... never did get a handle on that part.

Regardless, it is here and serves that function of recognition. Most of us are more interested in Geocaching than talking. Most of the threads here seem to have died to to the lack of interest by the OPs. FWIW.

Edit: For JanekGeo, If you look at the lower part of the Ham Radio page... 'Click here to show filter options' and open up the filter to SHOW ALL threads, you will get a better look at what has been on here.. quite a few threads, some which discuss your question.

Doug 7rxc (VE7RXC)

Edited by 7rxc

Yes D-Star is possible but i only have FM

And i don't plan to be QRV on D-Start (maybe C4FM)

DO3OA

Edited by JanekGeo

Anyone know how to set up an Echolink node or whatever to create a Ham Geocaching talk group?