FTF Prizes?

I have heard that some people will put money or gift cards in their caches before placing them as a prize for the first person to find the cache. Is that a common thing that is done, and is it necessary? I placed my first one the other day and it has been published and found by a small amount of people. I have never been the first to find a cache and I feel bad because I wasn't aware that people place small prizes in them.

I have heard that some people will put money or gift cards in their caches before placing them as a prize for the first person to find the cache. Is that a common thing that is done, and is it necessary? I placed my first one the other day and it has been published and found by a small amount of people. I have never been the first to find a cache and I feel bad because I wasn't aware that people place small prizes in them.

I would not describe it as common, and in no shape or form is it necessary or required.

Don't feel bad. Thanks for sharing the location with a cache. That's gift enough in my mind.

Here's a link to the inexpensive "prize" I place in my caches, in one of the many threads here on the subject of "FTF Prize". And that post mentions what I did when I overlooked including the "prize".

But as mentioned, it of course is not at all necessary.

Edited by kunarion

The only time I ever put a "prize" for the FTF in a new cache was when I won a pre-stocked cache container at a Meet and Greet event raffle. It had some kind of FTF coin inside. Other than that, I just put swag and/or trackables that need to be moved along. Not really "prizes".

The favorite prize I ever got on an FTF was cash. $10...not bad. Completely unnecessary, of course...but I wasn't about to complain.