Archived glass container

Gill & Tony

I'm very close to a cache which was recently archived. The glass container is jammed under a rock, several "finds" were logged by people who sighted the container and an NA was logged followed by the reviewer disabling and then archiving the cache. There are two trackables logged as being in the cache.

I'm here for 24 hours. Assuming that I deem it safe to do so, should I smash the container, remove broken glass, retrieve the log and trackables? Or should I simply leave it?

Assuming smash it is the verdict,should I claim a find by signing the log or just write a note explaining what I have done?

Advice please,

Tony

I'm very close to a cache which was recently archived. The glass container is jammed under a rock, several "finds" were logged by people who sighted the container and an NA was logged followed by the reviewer disabling and then archiving the cache. There are two trackables logged as being in the cache.

I'm here for 24 hours. Assuming that I deem it safe to do so, should I smash the container, remove broken glass, retrieve the log and trackables? Or should I simply leave it?

Assuming smash it is the verdict,should I claim a find by signing the log or just write a note explaining what I have done?

Advice please,

Tony

As it was archived by a reviewer it would seem that the CO has no interest in it therefore it is now geotrash. Retrieve it whichever way possible and if you have to break it, so be it. Clear up and mess, send the TBs on their way and log the find.

If the CO is absentee, the archived cache should be removed by any responsible cacher. You are going to get a whole bunch of differing opinions.... I personally would do as you suggest (especially if there were innocent trackables trapped), after trying to lever the cache out/rock up.

or - what colleda said above..... :)

Edited by lee737

Why does it have to be smashed? Remove it from the location and recycle it properly?

Jammed under a rock so solidly that at least 10 finders failed to remove it.

Good I am, Superman I am not

So, irretrievably jammed...must have missed that in the original post :anibad:

I assume that the hider has no plans to remove the container? If not, remove in any way possible?

I've had a good look at it now and it won't be removed by any equipment brought by a normal tourist to a resort island.

It is a small glass container which looks as if it was placed at arms length on a lower rock and the higher rock sat well clear of it. At some point the upper rock must have shifted and is now pressing hard on the top of the container. The best way to retrieve it would be to have a hardwood wedge driven between the rocks. Simply smashing the container would cause the upper rock to move more (I suspect).

So, I'm going to leave it well alone.

Thanks for the advice, though. As some have suggested, I did think smashing and removing would be the best option but it is always good to get other opinions.

Cheers

Tony

I've had a good look at it now and it won't be removed by any equipment brought by a normal tourist to a resort island.

It is a small glass container which looks as if it was placed at arms length on a lower rock and the higher rock sat well clear of it. At some point the upper rock must have shifted and is now pressing hard on the top of the container. The best way to retrieve it would be to have a hardwood wedge driven between the rocks. Simply smashing the container would cause the upper rock to move more (I suspect).

Thanks for the advice, though. As some have suggested, I did think smashing and removing would be the best option but it is always good to get other opinions.

Cheers

Tony

So, it is a vacation cache as well?

Curious why you didn't smash it and free the TBs (if they're really in there) after all? Just because the upper rock might have shifted more? If it is that unstable, I doubt that a glass jar would hold up under the weight.

Cheers

Tony

Curious why you didn't smash it and free the TBs (if they're really in there) after all? Just because the upper rock might have shifted more? If it is that unstable, I doubt that a glass jar would hold up under the weight.

It is at arms length under the upper boulder. I would need a long metal spike and hammer to break it.

There is an active catcher on the island and I plan to contact them once I'm home. I believe the CO was an employee here.

Tony

Cheers

Tony

It is at arms length under the upper boulder. I would need a long metal spike and hammer to break it.

There is an active catcher on the island and I plan to contact them once I'm home. I believe the CO was an employee here.

Tony

I see. You were afraid of having to maybe chew your arm off. I get it. :P