Getting and loading maps to 64s

Astro_D

Sorry if this has been brought up before ....

I just bought a Garmin 64s. As the unit is, I cannot navigate to caches nor do I have any POIs. My pirated copy of maps from my 60CSx will not work in the 64s. I admit, I am too cheap to pay $80 bucks for city navigator. I keep hearing about OSM. Is this something I can install on my GPS for maps and navigation? I am computer illiterate when it comes to stuff like this. Any walk through and links would be most helpful. I am looking for a map of the US. I have a windows PC and a new 8 gb micro sd card. If I can't get usable maps, I'm thinknig of returning the unit. I really don't want to use two GPS devices - one to navigate, one to find caches. Thank you!!

Ok, went to the link and apparently, I have to do this state by state as the entire US is too big for a file. *sigh*. Anyways, I created a map for my state and got an email with four different links. I tried taking the one link and uploading right to the SD card, but I still don't have maps on my GPSr. What am I missing/doing wrong? I apologize, but I said I was clueless to this. Any additional help is most appreciated. Thanks!

You CAN select the entire USA if you want by manually select the map 'tiles'. It's been some time since I last grabbed mine, but one of those 4 links is to install the files on your PC for then uploading using Garmin's Mapsource or BaseCamp. I selected the East and West halves of the USA and picked the link for the .img files. Each file was about 2 GB and I put them on the 8 GB card. If you choose this way the .img files go in the Garmin folder either on the card or internal memory.

Ok, went to the link and apparently, I have to do this state by state as the entire US is too big for a file. *sigh*. Anyways, I created a map for my state and got an email with four different links. I tried taking the one link and uploading right to the SD card, but I still don't have maps on my GPSr. What am I missing/doing wrong? I apologize, but I said I was clueless to this. Any additional help is most appreciated. Thanks!

I am like you and had nothing but trouble trying to get the whole U.S. on my unit with free maps....big time headache.

I recommend buying the City Nav on the card...at least you can swap it to another unit.