Paranoid meddling muggles

Sorry, I just need someplace to vent. First, I understand the need for stealth while hunting for caches in urban areas. So let me say, I had not even started actually hunting for the cache yet. I was out running errands. I parked my car at one business and went in to make a purchase. I then brought my purchase back out to the car when I remembered their was a cache hidden somewhere close by. I didn't see the need to drive the car that short distance, and so walked across the street. Before I even took out my GPS device, before I even started "suspiciously poking around", a car pulled up next to me and a man yelled out that he was going to call the police on me because I was acting suspicious by "leaving my car and walking away".

As I said, I hadn't even started hunting for the cache yet, all I had done was walk from the parking lot of one business to the parking lot of another. The guy in the car went on and on about 911 claiming that I looked like a terrorist for leaving my car a few hundred yards away and walking to my next stop on my errands list for the day. I went back to my car and skipped hunting for the cache. The guy followed me the whole way, watching my every move and then sat in his car right behind me while I tried to back out of the parking space. He followed closely as I drove out of the lot and around the corner. I decided I was going to drive straight to the police station myself and report HIM if necessary.

After all, which is more suspicious? A woman running daily errands, or a creepy guy in a car watching her every move?

Sorry, I just need someplace to vent. First, I understand the need for stealth while hunting for caches in urban areas. So let me say, I had not even started actually hunting for the cache yet. I was out running errands. I parked my car at one business and went in to make a purchase. I then brought my purchase back out to the car when I remembered their was a cache hidden somewhere close by. I didn't see the need to drive the car that short distance, and so walked across the street. Before I even took out my GPS device, before I even started "suspiciously poking around", a car pulled up next to me and a man yelled out that he was going to call the police on me because I was acting suspicious by "leaving my car and walking away".

As I said, I hadn't even started hunting for the cache yet, all I had done was walk from the parking lot of one business to the parking lot of another. The guy in the car went on and on about 911 claiming that I looked like a terrorist for leaving my car a few hundred yards away and walking to my next stop on my errands list for the day. I went back to my car and skipped hunting for the cache. The guy followed me the whole way, watching my every move and then sat in his car right behind me while I tried to back out of the parking space. He followed closely as I drove out of the lot and around the corner. I decided I was going to drive straight to the police station myself and report HIM if necessary.

After all, which is more suspicious? A woman running daily errands, or a creepy guy in a car watching her every move?

Honestly, sounds like YOU had good grounds for calling 911 on HIM and ought to have said so. You did nothing wrong...unless, of course, you parked illegally. :anitongue:

You should have called 911 on your way to the Police Station. The guy was clearly acting in a manner that was threatening toward you.

Our car-dominated society is getting weird about pedestrians. My sister was recently yelled at by a guy in his car because she was in his way. She was nearing the other side of the road at an intersection. The guy was turning the corner in front of her as she was crossing at the lights, forcing her to stop. He yelled at her that she should not be in the intersection when the pedestrian light is blinking. Obviously a guy who never gets out of his car to walk, and needs another drivers ed course: "A flashing or steady orange hand means pedestrians must not begin to cross. While crossing, pedestrians have the right-of-way over all vehicles." Sheesh. Your example also goes to show that the walking is considered out-of-place, an irritant and suspicious in today's car-dominated society. He was a jerk, and a trouble maker.

As I said, I hadn't even started hunting for the cache yet, all I had done was walk from the parking lot of one business to the parking lot of another. The guy in the car went on and on about 911 claiming that I looked like a terrorist for leaving my car a few hundred yards away and walking to my next stop on my errands list for the day.
Sounds like someone who has never heard of combining trips when running errands.

I went back to my car and skipped hunting for the cache. The guy followed me the whole way, watching my every move and then sat in his car right behind me while I tried to back out of the parking space. He followed closely as I drove out of the lot and around the corner.
I probably would have found a few more errands to run, before finally heading back to my vehicle. Just because I could.

But I'm a big 6'3" guy, so YMMV.

...a car pulled up next to me and a man yelled out that he was going to call the police on me because I was acting suspicious by "leaving my car and walking away"...

I'm a man, so the risks are different, but I would have offered to call 911 for him.

I know that some are going to be take this the wrong way by some, but I was taught as a small child not to pick on girls. Does that not get taught any more?

Sheesh. Your example also goes to show that the walking is considered out-of-place, an irritant and suspicious in today's car-dominated society. He was a jerk, and a trouble maker.

Exactly. Oddly enough, this morning was one of the few times I actually used the car at all. My hubby and I have only one car between the two of us, and usually he uses it for work. Most times I walk everywhere. And I do occasionally get dirty looks from drivers who have to stop for me when I hit the crosswalk button, but this is the first time I have actually been yelled at, harassed, threatened and accused of terrorism just because I walked somewhere away from the car. The guy kept saying his problem was with the fact that I parked in one lot and walked away from the car to another site. But unless you invent a vehicle that can fold up and fit in a pocket (George Jetson style) people are always going to park and walk away from their cars, right?

I know that some are going to be take this the wrong way by some, but I was taught as a small child not to pick on girls. Does that not get taught any more?

Positive discrimination is also discrimination :lol:

You don't pick on anyone, period.

I would probably just continued to do what I was doing (except go find the cache) just hoping he'd call the cops. Would make it easier to file a complaint for harassment. :ph34r:

I know that some are going to be take this the wrong way by some, but I was taught as a small child not to pick on girls.

But he wasn't picking on anyone. He was expressing a very real -- if entirely insane -- fear that she had planted a car bomb. His male/female reaction was entirely PC: females can do anything males can including commit heinous acts.

Does that not get taught any more?

What's taught these days is that you should consider the possibility of anything you see anyone do at any time on any day being a terrorist threat.

The guy seems to have had a screw loose, and I wouldn't blame anyone for calling 911 to get some protection, but I would have just talked to him to see if I could get him to be reasonable. But that's mainly because I have a very real character flaw in that I'm not afraid of anything, not even lunatics.

Was that ever taught, really? For my entire life it's pretty much been open season on any woman out in public alone. It's rare that a week goes by where I'm not hassled in some way while I'm trying to mind my own business.

Was that ever taught, really? For my entire life it's pretty much been open season on any woman out in public alone. It's rare that a week goes by where I'm not hassled in some way while I'm trying to mind my own business.

Hm, I wonder if it's regional. I can't remember an instance when I've been hassled, although I know it's happened a handful of times. It's very rare.

Exactly. Oddly enough, this morning was one of the few times I actually used the car at all. My hubby and I have only one car between the two of us, and usually he uses it for work. Most times I walk everywhere. And I do occasionally get dirty looks from drivers who have to stop for me when I hit the crosswalk button, but this is the first time I have actually been yelled at, harassed, threatened and accused of terrorism just because I walked somewhere away from the car. The guy kept saying his problem was with the fact that I parked in one lot and walked away from the car to another site. But unless you invent a vehicle that can fold up and fit in a pocket (George Jetson style) people are always going to park and walk away from their cars, right?

Had to look at your profile to infer your location, and was surprised to find that you're close by. I had to admit that I've gotten more suspicious looks and comments from people on 'the Eastside' than other areas. Haven't been accosted about leaving my car, but then I haven't done that much in your area either. Looks/comments have mostly been when stepping even one foot off established trails that are in view of private homes. I've been working on developing my skill of searching for a cache while my head is pointed at an 'off' phone and my hand occasionally swipes the blank screen.

Wow...if the OP's version of the incident is accurate (and I believe it to be), the strange man acted in an entirely inappropriate manner. If the OP felt threatened by his aggressive behavior towards her and had a legitimate concern for her own safety, it is (at lest by New York law) actionable as an assault. I'm a guy and would've told him to shut up, mind his own business and get lost, but hey, that's just me. Also, that's why God gave us a middle finger. :anicute:

FGF

You all are right. I should have called the police right away. I guess at the time I was stunned. It freaked me out that he immediately said he had "watched me walk away from the car" and that he'd followed me not only over to where he yelled at me, but followed me back again when I hurried to my car. I was afraid to slow down and read his license plate then, because I thought he might try something, so once inside the car when I decided to drive straight to the police station and I attempted to read the plate then. Unfortunately, he followed so closely I couldn't see it. He apparently realized I was going to the police station because as we got close he swerved off and went the other way.

For my entire life it's pretty much been open season on any woman out in public alone. It's rare that a week goes by where I'm not hassled in some way while I'm trying to mind my own business.

I have kept this thought in the back of my mind as well, and often wished I had somebody else to go not only geocaching, but kayaking, hiking, or bicycling with. My husband works so much that he is rarely available. It's been suggested that I try to meet other geocachers at events; but so far all the events have been at times or places I can't attend. I think I'm too shy and afraid to host an event of my own for the same reasons - a woman, by herself inviting strangers to an event and posting it publicly online? I don't think I want to do that.

...a car pulled up next to me and a man yelled out that he was going to call the police on me because I was acting suspicious by "leaving my car and walking away"...

I'm a man, so the risks are different, but I would have offered to call 911 for him.

I was in a similar situation once and that is exactly what I did.

I was looking for a cache and some random lady pulled up and said she was calling the cops because I had no business being there near her neighborhood. For the record, I was at a dead-end road at least 3/4 mile from ANY neighborhood with little to no traffic anywhere near and pretty well concealed by a stand of trees along the road. I could not even fathom how she saw me in the first place. So I told her that's fine. I'd wait. I sat in my car while she sat in hers eating her quintuple cheeseburger and drinking her giga-gulp, yelling at me while she ate. I finally had enough and I called 911 and asked when the officer would be arriving. They said no one had called. So I reported this lady was harassing me on a public right-of-way and they said they were sending a cop right over. I told the lady I was tired of waiting and so I called 911 for her. She left immediately. I called 911 back, cancelled the call, and then went and found the cache.

For my entire life it's pretty much been open season on any woman out in public alone. It's rare that a week goes by where I'm not hassled in some way while I'm trying to mind my own business.

I have kept this thought in the back of my mind as well, and often wished I had somebody else to go not only geocaching, but kayaking, hiking, or bicycling with. My husband works so much that he is rarely available. It's been suggested that I try to meet other geocachers at events; but so far all the events have been at times or places I can't attend. I think I'm too shy and afraid to host an event of my own for the same reasons - a woman, by herself inviting strangers to an event and posting it publicly online? I don't think I want to do that.

When I was younger, my ardent self-sufficiency was enough to get me through most of the time, but now that I am married I must admit that being out doing things is generally much easier when my husband is with me. Nobody ever yells at me to smile or creepily follows me when I'm with a man.

I think you should continue to watch for an event that you can make it to. You'll find that most geocachers are friendly and you'll find others looking for caching partners. Once you know a couple of people, maybe you can host an event together.

Lessee... Two examples. Tall gringo and short hispanic, of older age.

Looking for a multi. Frist stage on a park bench, Found that, and on to a mystery cache hidden in the swamp. Wrong side of the brook. Oh, well. Came out of the swamp to find two police officers waiting for us. We had been reported to the police for doing something suspicious. By an elderly lady who broke park regulations by going off into the woods with a child who was not her daughter. Park regulations only apply to some. Not tall gringos and short hispanics. The police checked us out and let us go.

Looking for a benchmark on a semi-rural road. Lady came a few hundred feet down the road, and asked what we were doing. We told her we were looking for the benchmark. She showed us where it was, and said she had put a rock over it to protect it from the snowplows. Hey! We found it!

So, not just females who run into these problems.

Wow, the OP does sound very nerve-wracking! I think I would have been in shock too...but personally I likely would have made a beeline for the nearest open business and immediately tell THEM I was feeling threatened and ask them to have a phone ready if he followed me....not sure I would have even felt safe enough to cross back to my car...(but then you could only have gone into a business IF there were any businesses near/on the way to the cache you could duck into).

...if I was of stronger personality maybe yelling something about the benefits of exercise and walking would cross my mind. It's really sad that people are so sedentary they think walking across the street is suspicious. O_o

I was looking for a cache and some random lady pulled up and said she was calling the cops because I had no business being there near her neighborhood. For the record, I was at a dead-end road at least 3/4 mile from ANY neighborhood with little to no traffic anywhere near and pretty well concealed by a stand of trees along the road. I could not even fathom how she saw me in the first place. So I told her that's fine. I'd wait. I sat in my car while she sat in hers eating her quintuple cheeseburger and drinking her giga-gulp, yelling at me while she ate. I finally had enough and I called 911 and asked when the officer would be arriving. They said no one had called. So I reported this lady was harassing me on a public right-of-way and they said they were sending a cop right over. I told the lady I was tired of waiting and so I called 911 for her. She left immediately. I called 911 back, cancelled the call, and then went and found the cache.

Nicely done.

Looking for a multi. Frist stage on a park bench, Found that, and on to a mystery cache hidden in the swamp. Wrong side of the brook. Oh, well. Came out of the swamp to find two police officers waiting for us. We had been reported to the police for doing something suspicious. By an elderly lady who broke park regulations by going off into the woods with a child who was not her daughter. Park regulations only apply to some. Not tall gringos and short hispanics. The police checked us out and let us go.

Looking for a benchmark on a semi-rural road. Lady came a few hundred feet down the road, and asked what we were doing. We told her we were looking for the benchmark. She showed us where it was, and said she had put a rock over it to protect it from the snowplows. Hey! We found it!

Did the "female" who reported you to the police creepily stalk you for several minutes before calling the cops? Being hassled by cops is a bit different than being threatened by a civilian.

I have been harassed more on the London underground than when I've been geocaching.

Yeah, I have had far more problems just being out in public or on public transit than I have ever had while geocaching. I think with geocaching, men are more likely to encounter law enforcement or threats of law enforcement. But women get hassled by randoms, everywhere, all the time. It's just the baseline state of existence as a woman.

On more than one occasion I've come out of a wooded area after finding a cache to find people nearby and some of them giving me odd looks. I must say it probably looks odd when an adult male exits a wooded area dressed in slacks and a dress shirt...and I can only imagine what they think I might have been doing. Given the number of stories I hear about guys "hooking up" in parks and such, I don't think it's unreasonable for folks to be suspicious. I've never been confronted, though...and I'd be more than happy to explain myself if asked.

I have had a couple of interactions with suspicious muggles who were not happy about my activities, but none have ever threatened to phone the police. I think a lot of people just can't wait to be the next "Internet hero" and get on social media to brag about how they stopped some sort of terrorist plot.

I encountered a "crazy" person while caching who was very upset that I stopped on a gravel road in a rural area. I talked to him for quite some time, he just got more irritated as I explained what I was doing. I loaned him my pen so he could record my my license plate number to report me to the police. I was never contacted by the police. I think they were already well acquainted with the guy.

Did the "female" who reported you to the police creepily stalk you for several minutes before calling the cops? Being hassled by cops is a bit different than being threatened by a civilian.

Ah. But the title of the thread is "Paranoid meddling muggles", not "stalkers". Though the OP is more concerned with "stalkers". And this female was obviously a 'paranoid meddling muggle'. She observed us manhandling a park bench, whilst she was violating park rules by leading a young child into the woods. So, yes. She definitely qualified as a 'paranoid meddling muggle'. I did consider reporting her to the police for violating park rules. I hope the young girl (probably her grand daughter) survived her trip into the forbidden zone. So, yes. She did stalk us. But obviously, park rules do not apply to people who choose to ignore them. But 'paranoid meddling muggles' is the title of this thread. And she was certainly one.

I've never been hassled by paranoid meddling muggles, I've been asked questions, which I have answered. Either to other geo cacher's realising what I am doing and saying G'day or other people thinking I'm finding something like mushrooms or bird watching. I did get busted by a landowner who had a cache on his property that he had found and researched what it was all about. He took great delight in creeping up on cacher's and at the critical time asking "Did you find what you were looking for?" Obviously he would lay in wait! He did not mind that no permission was asked, he just took great delight in scaring the pants off somebody.

I did attract some attention from a guy with his children in a park in Melbourne doing a Multi Cache. I was writing down things and counting things and I realised he was following me. I stopped at the next step and waited, having solved the step, hoping he and his kids would pass. They didn't , so I went on to the next step. At this point he asked me if I was geo caching and how could he get involved with his kids. The guy was a "Big Unit" and I was really worried about him following me so you could imagine my relief! I showed him the print out of the multi and told him as much as I could about things and he shook my hand and said thanks and went on his way. The night before, apparently a Current Affair TV show had a segment about Geo Caching on and he picked up on what I was doing and wanted to know more. I am glad that he asked and that as a "Big Unit" he turned out to be friendly.

I have been harassed more on the London underground than when I've been geocaching.

Yeah, I have had far more problems just being out in public or on public transit than I have ever had while geocaching. I think with geocaching, men are more likely to encounter law enforcement or threats of law enforcement. But women get hassled by randoms, everywhere, all the time. It's just the baseline state of existence as a woman.

So, you didn't respond to my last comment where I said that this doesn't happen to me. I don't mean to be pushy, but your comments are kinda making me wonder. Am I in an alternative universe than you? It has not been my experience that "women get hassled by randoms, everywhere, all the time. It's just the baseline state of existence as a woman." Everywhere, all the time? That's a lot. I do not get hassled. Why am I so different than other women? :unsure::blink:

So, you didn't respond to my last comment where I said that this doesn't happen to me. I don't mean to be pushy, but your comments are kinda making me wonder. Am I in an alternative universe than you? It has not been my experience that "women get hassled by randoms, everywhere, all the time. It's just the baseline state of existence as a woman." Everywhere, all the time? That's a lot. I do not get hassled. Why am I so different than other women? :unsure::blink:

It probably depends where you live. I don't get hassled either, but I live out in the country.

It probably depends where you live. I don't get hassled either, but I live out in the country.

From what i've seen and been told, it's not as extreme for many, and it varies not only from area to area, but also from location to location in a city. For example, in my own city, 9:00 AM in the business district is likely to have a lower hassle factor than 2:00 AM in the party district.

2:00 AM in New Orleans? Have 2 or 3 cans of pepper spray handy!

And i'll leave it to women to advise on how to reduce the harassment.

I wouldn't have told her that I had called the cops; I would have rather let her be surprised. Ups the "entertainment factor", LOL! It would have been a lot of fun watching her try to explain herself to the law.

This thread brings up a point that's relevant to me personally. I tend to stay away from caches that are placed in high traffic areas. I've been approached many times by every day muggles as well as police officers asking me what I was up to. After a brief explanation we all move on with our lives. The fact that I've been approached many times tells me that I'm not the most stealthy person on the planet. I guess I simply don't like the fact that something I'm doing is causing someone else worry, justified or not. Many times I've wanted to yell out "I'm just looking for a geocache here. Nothing to worry about!"

What amazes me is how many police officers have no idea what geocaching is. I don't blame any officer for stopping and questioning anyone who is acting suspicious. I personally don't have any caches in a high traffic public area but if I did I would make sure to let the local police know what it was and where it was hidden.

As far as this particular situation is concerned you did the right thing. This guy was obviously being obnoxious. Why would he have even spoken to you if he really thought you were up to no good. Wouldn't you quietly call the police in hopes of catching the perpetrator red handed? By walking away you defused the situation and saved the police from responding to a frivolous call.

Most people are amazed when you explain to them what your doing. Once they know what geocaching is the suspicious activity becomes quite comical to watch.

It looks like this thread shows how much trust people have in their fellow humans. The only thing we have ever experienced is people asking if we "lost something" or were "looking for something". Depending on the situation we tell them about geocaching or we just say we're "solving questions along a route" or "photo search". Up until now the muggle(s) just say "oh, OK" or "good luck then". I think instances where police are called are extremely rare around here (it does happen) as most Belgians don't put their noses in other people's stuff and don't think the worst when they see (alleged) "suspicious" behavior.

It looks like this thread shows how much trust people have in their fellow humans. The only thing we have ever experienced is people asking if we "lost something" or were "looking for something". Depending on the situation we tell them about geocaching or we just say we're "solving questions along a route" or "photo search". Up until now the muggle(s) just say "oh, OK" or "good luck then". I think instances where police are called are extremely rare around here (it does happen) as most Belgians don't put their noses in other people's stuff and don't think the worst when they see (alleged) "suspicious" behavior.

I think it's human nature to think the worst when we see something that doesn't look right. The way the world is today it's not surprising. The few times I've been approached by a police officer had nothing to do with them receiving a call. They just happened to be driving buy and noticed me franticly searching around. Lets face it. Searching for a geocache in a public place looks suspicious no matter how stealthy you think your being. If we simply look at it from the other persons perspective it's easy to understand where the concern is coming from.

Aside from the occasional odd looks from people at a distance, that's pretty much been my experience as well.

I did have one encounter with a security patrol ask me what I was up to...but apparently the lot adjacent to where I was searching had seen a number of car break-ins, so anyone milling about the lot was bound to look suspicious. I was wearing a button up collared shirt and dress slacks, though...so I was surprised I got even that bit of attention.

i personally would've taken picture of his license plate and called the police myself and waited for them to arrive to explain the situation

if im out in public where im legally allowed to be im not going to waste my time to explain myself to anyone, if im threatened ill call 911, if its the police thats questioning me ill answer as much as im comfortable answering, like what im doing, (it doesnt bother me that they need to make sure im not a threat, but that can usually be answered in the first minute of the encounter) if they ask for any personal information like name, address, etc then i would explain im not comfortably answering those questions considering im not committing a crime or being detained and would ask to please be on my way

i personally would've taken picture of his license plate and called the police myself and waited for them to arrive to explain the situation

if im out in public where im legally allowed to be im not going to waste my time to explain myself to anyone, if im threatened ill call 911, if its the police thats questioning me ill answer as much as im comfortable answering, like what im doing, (it doesnt bother me that they need to make sure im not a threat, but that can usually be answered in the first minute of the encounter) if they ask for any personal information like name, address, etc then i would explain im not comfortably answering those questions considering im not committing a crime or being detained and would ask to please be on my way

Police: "Excuse me sir but may I ask what your doing here?"

Cacher: "Geocaching, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't bother me any more"

You can take that tact with the police but don't be surprised at what comes next.

You can take that tact with the police but don't be surprised at what comes next.

i would be more than happy to explain what geocaching is and i have to a LEO once before already and he said "not a problem" and moved on, like i said LEO are trained to know a threat and can usually sense it in less than a minute of an encounter, the second i opened my mouth and explained what i was doing he knew right away i was a threat to no one, that is no problem to me but if he crosses that line of a mere encounter to probing someone for information when that person wasn't even committing a crime and he knows it then it becomes abuse

you may believe differently and thats your right, im just explaining what i believe and what i believe is in no way opposite of the law, i follow the law the best i can everyday, aside from maybe going 5-10 over :P other than that im not a person who is up to no good, so i just wouldnt enjoy being hassled for not breaking the law especially after explaining what im doing, this has never happened to me before just saying what i believe

also its quite surprising you assume ill be as rude as possible given you don't even know me, go back and you'll see that i would explain i wasn't comfortable answering personal questions which i don't believe is rude and that i would ask to "please be on my way", i would not disrespect an officer, and being uncomfortable about answering personal questions when i crime isn't being committed and explained what im doing doesn't seem rude to me

also its quite surprising you assume ill be as rude as possible given you don't even know me, go back and you'll see that i would explain i wasn't comfortable answering personal questions which i don't believe is rude and that i would ask to "please be on my way", i would not disrespect an officer, and being uncomfortable about answering personal questions when i crime isn't being committed and explained what im doing doesn't seem rude to me

How dose the police officer know weather or not your committing a crime? Because you told him you weren't. You could be a wanted fugitive for all he/she knows. The only way they can determine that is with personal information. The only reason I'd refuse to give them my name and address is if I had something to hide.

How dose the police officer know weather or not your committing a crime? Because you told him you weren't. You could be a wanted fugitive for all he/she knows. The only way they can determine that is with personal information. The only reason I'd refuse to give them my name and address is if I had something to hide.

if you believe that then there is nothing i can say that will explain it any better, you believe what you believe and im not going to get into an argument over it on a forum, that will benefit neither of us so happy caching my geocaching friend :)

if you believe that then there is nothing i can say that will explain it any better, you believe what you believe and im not going to get into an argument over it on a forum, that will benefit neither of us so happy caching my geocaching friend :)

I guess we did get off topic. Was never my intention to get into an argument about how to handle the police while geocaching. I guess the line between argument and debate can get pretty thin sometimes. Be well.

also just want to be clear that im not saying im going to be rude to anyone that kindly asks what im doing, ive explained geocaching to many muggles before who were interested in what i was doing, im speaking about this specific situation, that if someone started yelling at me and accusing me of this and that, well i wont give them the time of the day, but if someone is curious and asks me what im doing while showing respect, well then i will be just as respectful and introduce them to the wonderful world of geocaching

Exactly.

The fatbastard who harassed the OP was totally out of line. As a woman, often caching solo, I know he wouldn't have done the same to a man who simply walked across the street. I might've just stopped and sat down on a curb when he started yelling, so the chase is over and he starts thinking about the TV show he is missing back at his trailer. Instead of being "in flight", stop and calm yourself. Then you have the presence of mind to decide if you need to call 911.

Women are just more approachable. At events I've witnessed curious muggles quietly watching, but not approaching cachers until a female enters the scene. Then I'm happy to explain geocaching.