Garmin eTrex Legend vs Garmin eTrex Venture

My family and I are about a month in to Geocaching. So far we've just been using Google Earth and good notes to find caches. However this makes it hard to find any that are under tree cover as the Google Earth image just shows the top of the forest canopy - not that useful from ground level when looking. So I was looking into getting a cheap older unit. Someone on Craigslist is offering both a Venture and a Legend Garmin eTrex units for $30 each. Looking at reviews they both seem like decent units and the price seems fair, but most reviews are left by fishermen and hunters. I was wondering if the Caching community might have any insights before I invest in one or the other. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance :) .

I went to garmin.com and compared the specs on the two. It seems the Legend has the edge. It has 8mb of storage versus 1mb of storage for the venture. This is important when you are loading lots of geocaches at once. Also, the Legend has a basemap that you can also add to. The Venture has no map at all. Just remember, these units are 2 or 3 generations old. They'll work just fine for your purposes, though. You'll need to manually enter coordinates and you won't have hints and descriptions on the GPS like on newer models. If you increase your budget to $50-$60, you might be able to find a used Etrex 10 on Ebay or Craigslist. The Etrex 10 is a great starter GPS, and it uses a standard USB cord to connect to your computer to automatically download geocache coordinates, hints, descriptions, and logs. Another alternative is the Magellan GC, which has good maps already loaded. Welcome to the club!

Edited by cliptwings

My family and I are about a month in to Geocaching. So far we've just been using Google Earth and good notes to find caches. However this makes it hard to find any that are under tree cover as the Google Earth image just shows the top of the forest canopy - not that useful from ground level when looking. So I was looking into getting a cheap older unit. Someone on Craigslist is offering both a Venture and a Legend Garmin eTrex units for $30 each. Looking at reviews they both seem like decent units and the price seems fair, but most reviews are left by fishermen and hunters. I was wondering if the Caching community might have any insights before I invest in one or the other. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance :) .

Is there any letters after the name? Over the years they were upgraded with better receiver (H), color screen ©, USB port (I don't remember when this was added but I think it might have been with the x), memory expansion microSD card (x) etc. The top of the line will have HCx after the name. If they both have the same litters I would go with the Legend if not I would go with the one that had the better set of letters.

Is there any letters after the name? Over the years they were upgraded with better receiver (H), color screen ©, USB port (I don't remember when this was added but I think it might have been with the x), memory expansion microSD card (x) etc. The top of the line will have HCx after the name. If they both have the same litters I would go with the Legend if not I would go with the one that had the better set of letters.

Nope, just the first models with no letters following.