You Can't Do That - Discussion thread.

L0ne.R

I feel some just don't like having violations pointed out and find it easier to insult others rather than allow the discussion to continue unadulterated.

Hmm... amazing there how you can peer into other people's minds and see their motivations.

I fail to see how a preachy, self-righteous thread designed to make forum regulars feel superior to the hoi polloi is a productive discussion, but I guess others don't see it the same way as I do. My practice is to talk to problem hiders privately, and not spend the time preening in public.

My opinion only, of course, but I think my way is more effective.

But I understand that public displays to show others your righteousness (known as "virtue signaling") are a deeply-rooted human behavior, so you guys go on and enjoy yourselves.

I fail to see how a preachy, self-righteous thread designed to make forum regulars feel superior to the hoi polloi is a productive discussion

If you're referring to this thread then you need to look harder.

Done as the OP intended it would be a valuable resource and food, I would say, for a useful knowledgebase article.

Sweeping guideline violations quietly under the carpet wastes a valuable opportunity for education.

I feel some just don't like having violations pointed out and find it easier to insult others rather than allow the discussion to continue unadulterated.

Hmm... amazing there how you can peer into other people's minds and see their motivations.

I fail to see how a preachy, self-righteous thread designed to make forum regulars feel superior to the hoi polloi is a productive discussion, but I guess others don't see it the same way as I do. My practice is to talk to problem hiders privately, and not spend the time preening in public.

But I understand that public displays to show others your righteousness (known as "virtue signaling") are a deeply-rooted human behavior, so you guys go on and enjoy yourselves.

Maybe you remember saying this?

Thanks for finding that... that pretty much sums up what I am saying here.

Thanks for finding that... that pretty much sums up what I am saying here.

So you see, it's not so much mind reading as it is paying attention.

So you see, it's not so much mind reading as it is paying attention.

Ah, I see what you are getting at. You're right. I allowed my own strong feelings against self-righteous preachy threads to get the better of me, and I got insulting.

Fair enough. I apologize.

I still think the thread is counterproductive, but I have made that clear.

I still think the thread is counterproductive...

I hope that's not the case. My goal is that cache hiders will see these examples, understand why they break guidelines, and re-think how they are going to create their cache so it meets guidelines. I also hope that finders who see guideline infractions stop encouraging this behaviour. Damage and defacement seems to be on the rise. It reflects poorly on the game. It reflects poorly on everyone who geocaches.

I still think the thread is counterproductive...

I hope that's not the case. My goal is that cache hiders will see these examples, understand why they break guidelines, and re-think how they are going to create their cache so it meets guidelines. I also hope that finders who see guideline infractions stop encouraging this behaviour. Damage and defacement seems to be on the rise. It reflects poorly on the game. It reflects poorly on everyone who geocaches.

It seems to me that the goal of your thread, and your explanation of its intent are very salient, and very necessary in the current times of "muggles with apps" pouring into the game.

The idea of showing the new players "here's what you CANNOT do according to the guidelines, and here's how you CAN get the same result within the guidelines" is a great teaching tool. I can't imagine why any thinking person doesn't see the value in this.

Perhaps some people feel guilt about not reporting the violations they have encountered or caches they have placed or ..?, and are expressing their remorse in the form of snide commentary toward you and your thread.

I think very few, if any, of your "muggles with apps" are going to find their way to this particular thread. You know, they are just biding their time between angry birds and candy crush...not registering their email, just moving on in a few days to that barcode game...this is not really a place to target that audience.

I think very few, if any, of your "muggles with apps" are going to find their way to this particular thread. You know, they are just biding their time between angry birds and candy crush...not registering their email, just moving on in a few days to that barcode game...this is not really a place to target that audience.

A.) What harm does this thread do if you happen to be right that it misses its target audience?

B.) How would you propose this goal be accomplished?

Edited by knowschad

A.) What harm does this thread do if you happen to be right that it misses its target audience?

B.) How would you propose this goal be accomplished?

A.) None, though why not put it in B (see below)

B.) Getting Started? Where one might go if they are new to GC? Though I doubt all those "wicked intro-app" users will ever spend more than a second in any of these forums (if at all). This might be better suited for the facebook site, though you would need to be a lackey for writing access there.

Why does one need to hide a geocache in order to recognize a guideline violation?

Re-read what I wrote, this time for comprehension.

I did not say that someone who has not hidden a cache cannot recognize a guideline violation; rather, I said that someone who has not hidden a cache has, IMO, (and read this part carefully):

no standing to preach to others about how to fix guideline violations.

Once again, you are free to disagree but please do not mischaracterize my statements.

Except that you would have had no idea the cacher in question had no hides unless you stalked his profile trying to dig up dirt in the name of expressing your opinion.

Except that you would have had no idea the cacher in question had no hides unless you stalked his profile trying to dig up dirt in the name of expressing your opinion.

Looking at a profile is hardly "stalking". I even see people with "Provider: Groundspeak" looking at my profile but I wouldn't consider them stalkers.

Looking at a profile is hardly "stalking". I even see people with "Provider: Groundspeak" looking at my profile but I wouldn't consider them stalkers.

How do you find out who's been looking at your profile?

Probably uses a tracking image within the profile HTML. Which is exactly how I busted Chuckeee who was harassing me.

You call looking at somebody's public profile "stalking"? LOL!

Yep. when you dig up someone's profile purely for the act of blasting them about a post, yes, it's stalking in my book. Or at the very least it's bullying. So you can laugh at me all you want. But lord knows none of us are perfect, including you.

Probably uses a tracking image within the profile HTML. Which is exactly how I busted Chuckeee who was harassing me.

Yep. when you dig up someone's profile purely for the act of blasting them about a post, yes, it's stalking in my book. Or at the very least it's bullying. So you can laugh at me all you want. But lord knows none of us are perfect, including you.

Yes - you're right of course - why try to base your posts on publicly available facts when you can go off half-cocked, jump to uninformed conclusions and post a load of ineffectual rubbish about a person and then engage in post ping-pong for a while - everyone loves that :rolleyes:

And drawing a comparison between what people say should happen and what they do themselves or considering the degree to which a person's experience informs their opinions before responding to their posts is bullying? :unsure:

ETA - at what point in history did a simple challenge to a person's views become bullying?

Maybe we could avoid bullying each other by turning to the forum into a place where each of us just states our opinion but discussion of same is forbidden. That would save Groundspeak some disk space in their servers at any rate :ph34r:

Edited by Team Microdot

Nobody is laughing at you or bullying or blasting you or anybody else here in this thread, as I see it.

Nobody is laughing at you or bullying or blasting you or anybody else here in this thread, as I see it.

Uhhhhhhh.... :blink: :blink: I was defending the OP, or whoever the previous post was about.

I don't see any problem with posting and replying to a thread like this. It can, and i'm fairly certain, will help to give some guidance to those who have no idea they are doing some something wrong. Not sure why anyone would be disgruntled because of this thread.

Unfortunately, i agree with you., that the thread won't accomplish all that much. The largest numbers of "you can't do that" people won't ever read it. Very few app users will ever peek in here. But again, it's a good thing, even if one person reads a portion of it and learns from a previously made mistake. ;)

I think quite a few noobs are finding their way to the Getting Started section. Many with only few, or in some cases no finds, are asking questions. They seem to be using the free app, because they are wanting to know if they need a 'proper' GPS device or which is the best device. Many more noobs may be reading and not posting.

I think quite a few noobs are finding their way to the Getting Started section. Many with only few, or in some cases no finds, are asking questions. They seem to be using the free app, because they are wanting to know if they need a 'proper' GPS device or which is the best device. Many more noobs may be reading and not posting.

I just took a look at the Getting Started section. There were a total of two replies posted today. Two other threads were replied to yesterday. Even in the General Discussions area, replies are way down from what they were in years past. There are probably people lurking but i'd say this is a good indication that overall forum use is definitely down.

My goodness, I must say that this thread has taken bickering to a new height,

The cache was placed before many of the guidelines were put in place and thus, grandfathered in place.

There have been changes made over the years to presumably "improve" the site including the present concrete casting around a can or similar item to provide a lasting receptacle for the cache.

That these improvements violate one or more guidelines is up for debate.

This cache is unique in it is the oldest active cache in the US. (Have I got that right?) it is unlikely I will ever visit this one but given the opportunity, I would, because it is unique.

The debate would very quickly become as foggy as this stupid thread has become.