Compass Arrrow?

I have a slightly different issue with my Oregon 650. When I'm driving the arrow generally points towards the Geocache GZ. But when I approach the cache the arrow does not point at the cache but usually away - I have to try various directions until I find a direction where the distance to GZ decreases. The compass profile is set to Geocache. What am I doing wrong?

I have a slightly different issue with my Oregon 650. When I'm driving the arrow generally points towards the Geocache GZ. But when I approach the cache the arrow does not point at the cache but usually away - I have to try various directions until I find a direction where the distance to GZ decreases. The compass profile is set to Geocache. What am I doing wrong?

Just a hunch... but have you loaded a routable map to use while driving? If so, you probably also have it set to lock on road, and even if you don't, the arrow will point to the spot on the road where you are to "turn off" to the cache.

It's a good idea when you get out of the car to switch your routing to "direct," and better yet, switch over to a non-routable map. I do this by setting up two geocaching profiles - one for driving and one for when I'm on foot. I've set up a shortcut button on the driving profile to switch to the non-driving profile so I can easily accomplish this when I park the car.

Just a hunch... but have you loaded a routable map to use while driving? If so, you probably also have it set to lock on road, and even if you don't, the arrow will point to the spot on the road where you are to "turn off" to the cache.

It's a good idea when you get out of the car to switch your routing to "direct," and better yet, switch over to a non-routable map. I do this by setting up two geocaching profiles - one for driving and one for when I'm on foot. I've set up a shortcut button on the driving profile to switch to the non-driving profile so I can easily accomplish this when I park the car.

. map. I do this by setting up two geocaching profiles - one for driving and one for when I'm on foot. I've set up a shortcut button on the driving profile to switch to the non-driving profile so I can easily accomplish this when I park the car.

Thanks! that's exactly what was happening. I had no idea that the arrow would point to the road turnoff. Your shortcut idea sounds great. I'll have to see how to do it.

1. create a new profile. (optional, but recommended) - personally, I started with the automotive profile and cloned it, then changed some settings to suit my geocaching while driving needs.

2. While in this new profile, go to Setup > system > configure keys. you can choose a function (single tap, double tap, long press) for either the power key or the user key.

3. From here, I can't remember the exact sequence, but you can have it select a specific profile - for example, geocaching. Select a profile where routing is set to direct and/or the displayed maps are not routable. You could set the key to just change routing to direct, but you'll either need another key function to return it to driving or manually do it each time, which gets annoying real fast. Yes, you'll have to change your profile back to your driving while geocaching profile, but I like to keep a link to the change profile page on my home screen. - which is another option if you don't feel like fiddling with the user keys.

@AZJohn

Fair guess, assuming your original post is indicating that you haven't yet gotten out of the car when your readings are looking odd, and you're set up to the defaults where motion kicks in GPS 'direction' and that drops out when you quit moving...

When you are in motion (something on the order of 3mph or greater), the device is using your trajectory based upon your change in location as determined by the GPS.

When you stop, that feature obviously can't work, and the magnetic compass is kicking in. A magnetic compass inside a vehicle has to be calibrated for use inside the vehicle (try it with any ordinary magnetic compass and you'll see how true this is). Just too much steel.

So until you get out of the car, don't be surprised if when stationary, you get whacked readings. It's normal.