NY/NJ Backpacking

briansnat

I've noticed a few newer Geocachers, such as Hartclimbs and Mr Magoo are backpackers. I already know that the Artful Dodger and several other area geocachers also enjoy the sport.

How 'bouts we get a trip together? If everyone has the proper equipment, we can go this winter; otherwise we can wait until spring. I think it would be a blast. Perhaps I will do an event cache tied in with a backpacking trip. If we go to Harriman, we can probably tie it in with geocaching.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

I hiked the AT through Harrimon last year. Some decent hills to climb through there. I havent done the Long Path though and that cross right through there. I'm actually scheduled to do some Mass. AT hiking sometime this spring. If everyone can nail down a date Ill see if I can mae it. After little league starts its tuff though as I coach 2 teams (have 3 sons). A good idea, lets see if it can happen.

I wanna go too!

Unfortunately, I don't have any backpacking gear. Well, I could probably use my tent and a few other things. But I don't have a backpack or sleeping bag that would work. What's the outlay for the bare minimum I would need?

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

Waterboy has done some challenging backpacking-caching combos. I went winter backpacking in Harriman when I first started back in the 70s. The good thing is that all the lean-tos have inside fireplaces. Bring a small bag of charcoal to get the fire going and dry out the frozen wood. It can be pretty cozy if you tie a tarp over the front of the lean-to. Try using two sleeping pads instead of one, you lose the most heat through the ground. I don't have any caches left to find in Harriman, so it wouldn't be much use to me. Next month I'm doing a four day to the Sewards in the ADK High Peaks, I don't think they have any caches in there, it's an eight mile trek in just to get to the base of the mountains. I would go for something more exotic, hopefully some where I haven't been before. For me, that means at least a four hour drive. Pennsylvania is one nearby state I haven't explored, all I've done there is the AT. Maybe Waterboy can make a suggestion. The Black Forest Trail comes to mind, but I don't know about the caches out there.

I'd be very interested. Just need a little lead time to ensure all the kiddie-commitments are covered. Winter or Spring (even Summer or Fall for that matter) is fine by me and I'd love an excuse to unpack some of this gear that's been parked in the basement for too long!

- Hart

[This message was edited by HartClimbs on January 22, 2003 at 06:50 PM.]

We gave ourselves new overnight backpacks for Christmas, and we are anxious to get out and use them. Jonboy, thank you for the write up, but I only did one backpack geocaching trip. It was our first backpack in about eight years, and a wonderful experience.

For overnighters in Pennsylvania there are many trails. You may want to start looking at Keystone Trail Association website. A couple of our comments on the trails closers to NY/NJ.

- Thunder Swamp - Closest to your area, we hiked here only once and were not very impressed.

- Pinchot Trail - Nice area but not at all rugged. Good for new backpackers. I believe there are caches in the area.

- Loyalsock - Great area and trail. There are at least two caches, both placed by Team JackQuest in the area. (We only found one of the two.)

- Old Logger - Great area, but unfortunately the state forest service has asked that the caches be removed.

- Golden Eagle - A little short for a backpack, but a very pretty trail.

- West Ridge Trail - I never did this one, but the wife did before we met. Everything I heard about it is good. Have not checked for geocaches along this trail.

- Black Forest - Jonboy, I would like to tell you more, but unfortunately know very little about this one.

I would gladdy write more but would like to ask some questions.

- Are we talking about a one nighter or longer?

- How long a hike (in miles) are we talking about?

I would expect the trip to be a leisurely, weekend overnighter. A lot of us work during the week.

I have an extra backpack or two for someone who may need to borrow one.

I'm most familiar with the Catskills and Harriman, as I've been backpacking both areas for 20 some years. Harriman may be a better choice for a winter trip for a number of reasons, but I much prefer the Catskills.

If we do get a group together for this trip, I can provide any novices with a list of essentials to bring.

I might be interested but not in the winter. Only if the temps are above freezing. And only if it is leisurely, I will catch up to you eventually.

Of course I've only gone backpacking for 1 night in my entire life but I do have a pack, stove and tent. Might be able to convince jungle green; she has a pack too.

P.S. off topic: Wow, Brian you have 1500 posts!

Hmmm, last time this came up, I had plenty of money, and no free time. Now I got plenty of free time, but no $$ to buy that stuff. dadgum!

Ya know, its funny, but I seem to be regressing with age.

I used to own boats. Was working my way up bigger ewach time. Now I have one of those jetskis that those dadgum kids annoyed me with so much on my boat, and a canoe.

I used to camp almost every weekend, but I didn't rough it! Cabin tent, 3 burner stove, heater, the works. Now I've been wanting to go backpacking for the last few years.

So is this what a mid-life crisis looks like?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Maybe we can shoot for March. Once soccer season starts in April, my weekends are shot. March will still be cold, but compared to what we're dealing with now it's way better.

Catskills are likely to still be snowbound then, so maybe a nice overniter in Harrmian may be the way to go. I'll see if I can come up with a interesting route that may have some caches to find along the way. 7 Hills Trail is a favorite of mine and I'd like to include that, or maybe a visit to Claudius Smith's Den (cool place).

Brian, like you we love that Seven Hill Trail. That area south of Pine Meadow Lake is great, as long as we stay away from the electrical power substation. I would like to throw out some questions for thought.

1. Many parks that have lean-tos do not permit overnight camping except at or near these shelters. Does Harriman have any such rules? If these rules do exist we have seen may who disobey it.

2. Also some places have limits or require registrations for groups over a certain size. Would this apply?

3. Are we looking for a short hike to attract beginners? If yes should the distance be planned as four to five miles a day. We will be interested in the overnighter short or long.

Like Brian, we have some extra equipment that other cachers could borrow.

quote:
1. Many parks that have lean-tos do not permit overnight camping except at or near these shelters. Does Harriman have any such rules? If these rules do exist we have seen may who disobey it.

Yes, Harriman is one of these. I had backpacked there for many years without using a lean-to and found out that this was a rule just a few years ago. Luckily, we were never caught, but that's probably because we'd go out of our way to find a remote spot (well as remote as one can find in Harriman). Since I've become aware of the rule, we've still camped away from the shelters (Yes, I'm a lawbreaker). We've still haven't had a problem, but we've learned to tell any ranger we encounter that we're going to the Dutch Doctor Shelter (though one was a bit skeptical because it was 7 in the evening and the shelter was 10 miles away). Anyway, the rangers aren't likely to be looking for illegal campers in March, but if people are uncomfortable with this, we can make sure we camp legally.

quote:
2. Also some places have limits or require registrations for groups over a certain size. Would this apply?

The limit is 10 in the Catskills. Probably similar in Harriman. I can check.

quote:
3. Are we looking for a short hike to attract beginners? If yes should the distance be planned as four to five miles a day. We will be interested in the overnighter short or long.

I'd say yes, a short hike. Perhaps 4-5 miles.

That way we can take our time, enjoy the sights and maybe find a cache or two.

I would love to do a backpacking trip. Count me in if the weekend is right. I am busy with my son through wrestling season (beginning of March). I do most of my trips in PA. Gifford Pinchot and Thunderswamp are the nearest. Pinchot has two caches along it trail. Never tried Harriman or the Catskills.

Let me know.

GeoGuru