1-Hit Wonders of cache hiders

Skully & Mulder et al.

quote:
Originally posted by Skully & Mulder et al.:

I like BP's idea of a "1-hit wonder" thread so here it is. I'll start with "The Celery Farm" by Grizz1 and "IronRott's Cache" by IronRott.

I must have missed that thread. Can you provide a link?

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

With just 1 hide and 1 find under their belt, Status Crow put together a great geocaching event. 10 Crowbars (little metal coupons with individual serial #s) were hidden through-out NJ. The first person to find each coupon was given coordinates to their very own personalized cache. The cache contained a long sleeve t-Shirt with the cachers name & Geocaching logo (this was before use of the old logo became an issue) The cache also contained a key to be used in the mysterious 3rd phase of the event. Unfortunately due to fried laptop, the 3rd stage was postponed indefinitely. Even without stage 3, I thought this event was very well organized and a lot of fun. Status Crow hasn't been active since the event stopped so we may never know what stage 3 entailed but I still have my key icon_biggrin.gif

Event details & pictures can still be seen at

http://statuscrow.net

quote:
Originally posted by The BeeGees:

With just 1 hide and 1 find under their belt, Status Crow put together a great geocaching event. 10 Crowbars (little metal coupons with individual serial #s) were hidden through-out NJ. The first person to find each coupon was given coordinates to their very own personalized cache. The cache contained a long sleeve t-Shirt with the cachers name & Geocaching logo (this was before use of the old logo became an issue) The cache also contained a key to be used in the mysterious 3rd phase of the event. Unfortunately due to fried laptop, the 3rd stage was postponed indefinitely. Even without stage 3, I thought this event was very well organized and a lot of fun. Status Crow hasn't been active since the event stopped so we may never know what stage 3 entailed but I still have my key icon_biggrin.gif

Event details & pictures can still be seen at

http://statuscrow.net

Holy Geocache Batman!! That sounds really fun!! I wish we more like it!!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

The Depot near Needham MA is just about the coolest cache we found. I don't know if GWHO would allow this as Virtual Find, but it worth the trip. Initially we went hunting this one to find a travel bug, the bug wasn't there but we didn't care. If your travels ever take you to the Boston area, be sure to block of an hour or two to hit this one.

Hidden Valley, by Team Macroscope is another good one especially if you choose to mountain bike in.

As for the Status Crow Hunt, this one was a great adventure. It would be cool to see more events like this. On a similar note, the New Jersey Statewide Cache Hunt was pretty neat too, even though that was a full two day commitment.

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on March 06, 2003 at 04:08 PM.]

Team Excession, Pheligan and Skibum. Placed a few excellent caches, then disappeared...well it was 8 in Skibum's case. BTW, some of their caches are in need of some TLC these days.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

On February 16th, the weekend of the "blizzard," I went out caching in a rural county north of Pittsburgh, just to prove a point, and wound up finding four great caches. As it turns out, each was placed by a different "one hit wonder."

Stone Wall Stash (GCFF) by Mark McConnell (1/1.5) One of the oldest caches in Pennsylvania.

Swamp Thing (GC667E) by H2Oboy (3.5/3.5) A 2-mile trek back and forth across a swamp, with one secret dry route.

Springfield Falls Geocache (GC45A8) by ridgestumbler (2/2.5) Down the trail from a beautiful forest waterfall and natural spring.

Kidd's Treasures (GCFA7) by Nick and Karen (2.5/1.5) Nature trail along a river, beginning at a covered bridge.

So, EVERY cache in Mercer County, PA was placed by a one-time hider.

PS: Fancy links to caches are brought to you by "Watcher" version 1.31.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

One hit wonders. I have found some with high difficulty ratings.

(CoFR) Sticks and Stones by Manimal, Mystique & Monty (2/4). We have taken three routes to this cache. The most popular and the shortest is a 900+ foot ascent on the Appalachian Trail. This is probably the steepest ascent on the AT in Pennsylvania. There is plenty of times you will need your arms to help climb this section of trail.

Pocono Mountain Geocache by TimberlandTimberland (3.5/4). Two routes to this cache. The one we took was coming in about 2.5 miles across swamps from the west. The other is a 1 mile hike from the east, but this one includes a military cable bridge.

Wanikaminplay Mountain Cache by Jethro (2.5/3.5). Located in the Adirondacks. Although the terrain rating may be the lowest, it is definitely the most difficult cache in the group. It shortest way is a six mile (one way) hike on the Northville-Lake Placid Trail. To date we are the only finders of this cache.

"Steeps over Greenbrook" by Team Regal (3.5/4.5). This is considerably easier than three caches listed above. I believe I could write some negative comments on terrain ratings here.

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy With Wife (www):

... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2071 by Timberland (3.5/4). Two routes to this cache. The one we took was coming in about 2.5 miles across swamps from the west. The other is a 1 mile hike from the east, but this one includes a military cable bridge.

I have been wanting to get this one ... Art Vandelay and Gang told me all about it back at the June picnic. I thought I'd get it before the summer ended and now I've got orange decorations all over the house. *sigh* I should retire and have more time to cache!

-- I am looking for cache recommendations for Salem, Mass. Got any?

I gotta give kudos to The Prospector for Over the river and through the woods, literally!. It may be rated a little too easily for terrain at this point. (It's much harder now that 4x4's cannot access it as we used to.)

Also, I must give kudos to it's most recent finder: oshrabe, who chose this mighty challenging cache as his 5th find! He walked across a January river to get there!