Need advice on Gps connection and downloading cache onto the unit

clinton.james

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'm new to all this so stay with me.

Here is a quick rundown of how I got to my problem.

Bought a Magellan 310 explorist.

Made a profile on Geocaching.

Updated all software.

Downloaded and installed Megellan Communicator.

Now the problem is when I click on the Send to GPS button, a little window opens and tells me Magellan Communicator Found.

I click the download button to send it to the GPS but it instantly tells me Download has failed!

I have tried different cables, browsers. I have searched far and wide for 6 hours trying to solve this. I cant seem to find any information about this problem only info I can find is about the communicator not recognising the Gps which isn't the problem I'm having.

Alas after 40 odd years on this earth I've bit the bullet and posted my first topic ever. I don't know the etiquette for forums so forgive me if I haven't done this the right way.

Cheerio

Clint

Welcome. You're doing fine.

Try Magellan support. I am not trying to put you off. You don't mention which operating system you have, but you've already updated firmware and tried different browsers (and cables). You've done just about everything recommended. You could still try a different USB port, but that's a long shot.

Earlier threads:

2. Try a different browser
  3. Update firmware

There have been many posts about the communicator program not working. Suggestions are to try a different browser. This works for some people but not others. If you get the communicator to work you will find you can only transfer the basic cache information - the name, GC number and coordinates. The eXplorist 310 is fully paperless which means you can load all the cache info (GC number, coordinates, description, hints, logs etc) onto it. You do need to be a Premium Member to do this. The PM feature you need is called Pocket Queries. You can create upto 10 PQ's a day each of them for 1000 caches with all the details. Then you simply copy the files from the PQ to the 310. I've written an easy to read guide explaining how you do this. All you need is your PC/Mac, the 310 and a USB cable. Note, if you want to use the Magellan Vantage Point software I describe in the guide it does only work on Windows, not Mac.

This is the page on my resource site about Paperless Geocaching. The document you need is at the bottom of the page. It's an Adobe PDF which will open with Windows/Mac.