Nonactive Geocoin

Scruffy Nerf Herder

That's amazing that you've been caching for 10 days and found a unactivated geocoin. Congratulations, these things are extremely rare... a bit like finding a $20 bill at a bus stop.

But you're right about needing an activation code. I'm surprised the owner didn't include it if it was intended as a gift 'coz it can be a chore to track it down.

If you could post a photo (cover the tracking number though) maybe someone can recognize it and know where to go to get the activation code.

When I entered the code the coin name (printed on the coin) came up, so I know I have the right code. The coin was part of the 10/10/10 event, this one is called "Celebrating Wetlands." I found it in GC16AVM, "Chicago Parks - River."

As requested, here is a picture of the coin with the code blocked out:

2015-10-03%2009.42.42B_zpscgayxu5k.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-03%20at%209.57.24%20AM_zpsltzfh82o.png

I'm guessing this means it's been circulating for the last five years without ever being activated! I'd like to be able to start tracking this little guy if I can figure a workaround to the activation code problem. I'll go back today and check if there was a code in the cache where I found it, but seeing as it appears to have been been around for a while I find that unlikely...

Edited by ShortBusJedi

Did anyone mention placing a Geocoin? I'm guessing the item was recently placed, never activated. Or it's been in a quiet cache for a while. It's hard to believe it has traveled like that without an issue nor any logs, but if it has, that's good to know.

You may be able to retrieve the activation code here:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=158

If not, maybe Groundspeak can help:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

I wonder if there's a misread digit as Isonzo Karst mentioned. If the coin starts with "WL" or some series code, there are only 4 digits to work with. If there's an "O" in place of an "o" (also a teeny "G" can look like "C"), you may hit the code of another WL coin.

[EDIT]: Here's another possibility. It might have been placed by the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge. 185 dragonfly coins were owned by them. I emailed that account.

Some of these coins were at an event in Illinois, 5 years ago. Sure, maybe it never got activated. You might ask them about it, since they should know the activation code. Dragonfly coins were activated and circulating at this event (based on Trackable logs), but I don't see any logged into the Event.

Edited by kunarion

I found out where this Geocoin came from, so that's part of the mystery cleared up. The cacher "anna quixotic" was given the coin unactivated, and placed it in that cache for a finder, the same day you found it: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=594fd958-bb85-4097-b226-48415389fa53#

"Left a few trinkets including a trackable my nephew gifted me. Needs to be registered."

So, go up a couple of posts here, and get that activation code, and activate it. You don't even have to activate it, but if you intend to place it into a cache and watch it go, it's a good idea to activate it first. If it were me, I'd ask if "anna quixotic" wishes to have help activating it (nevermind if you don't want to ask, I know almost nocacher like me :ph34r:). Evidently, activation will be a challenge unless the "Lost Activation Code" page works for you.

OK, yeah, I'm assuming the unactivated gift coin and the one you found are the same. But I'd almost bet on it. :anicute:

Anyway, now there's evidence that it has not been quietly traveling cache-to-cache with no mention (which would have been just plain weird). And that the tracking number is in fact correct, and unactivated.

And if someone is ever considering gifting a Geocoin, give it in its unopened package. B)

Edited by kunarion

And if someone is ever considering gifting a Geocoin, give it in its unopened package. B)

And maybe leave a note with it, saying it's a gift! :)

I've now learned that the dragonflies were all handed out activated, except that this one apparently was not, by mistake. So that would explain why there was no packaging and no note. It wasn't meant to be a gift.