garmin communicator plug-in

eky1

Use Firefox instead.

Hans

Not supported there now either.

PLEASE stop posting wrong statements again and again. That's pretty boaring.

Just downloaded a cache with the plug-in:

a49b66a680b526fd4b7e8d5fc4109fcd.png

Hans

Maybe try helping out, I just tried and got the message that Firefox is no longer supported after being made aware in another thread here.

Win 10; Firefox 41.0.1; Garmin Communicator Plug-In 4.2.0.0 BETA

Looks like you have one more version to go.. GC plugin will break with FF42 (in December) :D

Personally I'm using a GSAK export in 99.9 % of all exports. I'm also fine with savings Gpx files directly to the unit, if necessary.

Hans

Personally I'm using a GSAK export in 99.9 % of all exports. I'm also fine with savings Gpx files directly to the unit, if necessary.

Same here, haven't used this plugin for ages.

It just seems some people are lost without the plugin :blink:

I'm sure GSAK is great, but I would like to think that I am getting something extra for my Premium Membership and not have to rely on a third party site to send a listing to my GPS unit. Waymarkers have always wanted the same option, and I got used to that site never improving. :(

Wonder what the deal is with Chrome. They do not support my school's lecture platform, they do not support Geocaching's plugin, Chrome used to be the best.

I get around the Geocaching thing by using GSAK but occasionally I liked the ability to just quickly download one cache into my Garmin but now I can't. Just silly I cannot.

Edited by lamoracke

I get around the Geocaching thing by using GSAK but occasionally I liked the ability to just quickly download one cache into my Garmin but now I can't. Just silly I cannot.

Of course hou can. Click on GPX file and save it to the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPS.

You're assuming everyone has a Garmin GPS that allows one to copy a GPX file directly to the file system on the GPS.

Of course hou can. Click on GPX file and save it to the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPS.

You're assuming everyone has a Garmin GPS that allows one to copy a GPX file directly to the file system on the GPS.

When asking about the "Garmin communicator plugin" it's safe to assume the TS has a Garmin. If we're not to assume it can be directly written to, it's up to the TS to provide enough information. Calling roadside assistance with "my car won't start" will not get you the right answer from the first time.

If you're talking about older Garmins: download the GPX, open with MapSource/BaseCamp, repeat this if you want more than one cache and send it/them to your GPSR.

If you're talking about older Garmins: download the GPX, open with MapSource/BaseCamp, repeat this if you want more than one cache and send it/them to your GPSR.

Yep. Models like the 60Csx or 76C series. If one doesn't have a premium membership, the same basic operation (d/l the GPX to a waypoint manager, then send to the GPSr) process is the same whether one is using MapSource, Basecamp, EasyGPS, or GSAK. You still need to d/l each GPX one by one but you can send them in bulk to a GPSr. The ability to access the GPS as a drive (x:/Garmin/...) was not available to older Garmin devices.

The simplicity of seeing a cache on a map, connecting my GPSr and clicking send to GPS is what I'll miss. I know there are other methods, but nothing as quick and easy as this was. :sad:

I'm missing it already, it was a handy feature. I installed the EasyGPS program to take it's place

I got used to a functional site and became dependant on it. :anibad:

If one doesn't have a premium membership, the same basic operation (d/l the GPX to a waypoint manager, then send to the GPSr) process is the same.

I believe non-premium members can only download LOC files. For the rest it's the same.

This also applies for newer Garmin models, since they don't recognize LOC files. The waypoint manager converts the LOC files to GPX when sending it to the GPSR.

If one doesn't have a premium membership, the same basic operation (d/l the GPX to a waypoint manager, then send to the GPSr) process is the same.

I believe non-premium members can only download LOC files. For the rest it's the same.

This also applies for newer Garmin models, since they don't recognize LOC files. The waypoint manager converts the LOC files to GPX when sending it to the GPSR.

The difference in the process for basic vs. premium members I was eluding to was that premium members can download waypoints, in bulk, using a pocket query. Once one or more waypoints are in a waypoint manager the process for sending to a GPS is the same.

Awhile back I proposed that GS should deprecate the use of the LOC format and use GPX format for basic members but without the Groundspeak extensions.

I found this info on Firefox today and now the Garmin Communicator is working again just fine. You only need to tweak one line in the Firefox config. Here is the post and link to follow.

From Firefox:

"Override add-on signing (advanced users): You can override this setting by changing the xpinstall.signatures.required preference to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). Support is not available for any changes made with the Configuration Editor so please do this at your own risk."

I found this info on Firefox today and now the Garmin Communicator is working again just fine. You only need to tweak one line in the Firefox config. Here is the post and link to follow.

From Firefox:

"Override add-on signing (advanced users): You can override this setting by changing the xpinstall.signatures.required preference to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). Support is not available for any changes made with the Configuration Editor so please do this at your own risk."

Keep in mind that this is temporary. Next version will not allow you to change that setting anymore. Instead of jumping through hoops to keep the plugin working it's time to adjust your workflow.

From Firefox:

Keep in mind that this is temporary. Next version will not allow you to change that setting anymore. Instead of jumping through hoops to keep the plugin working it's time to adjust your workflow.

Please explain "it's time to adjust your workflow".

Yesterday, for the first time, Firefox refused to allow the plug-in to work. It was working fine just last Friday.

Another solution to the problem is to forget about using Firefox and use IE instead.

Edited by winer0545

From Firefox:

Yesterday, for the first time, Firefox refused to allow the plug-in to work. It was working fine just last Friday.

Another solution to the problem is to forget about using Firefox and use IE instead.

Eventually all modern browsers will stop supporting NPAPI plugins and Groundspeak will remove support for the Communicator plugin all together.

Take a look at the statement on Garmin's website here and have a look at the Microsoft article they link to:

http://www.garmindeveloper.com/web-device/garmin-communicator-plugin/

The solution is not changing browsers, they will all stop allowing the plugin soon.

The solution is not changing browsers, they will all stop allowing the plugin soon.

And the useless send to GPS feature will still be there forever...

Same here, haven't used this plugin for ages.

It just seems some people are lost without the plugin :blink:

Yes... I heard complains as well. I use GSAK 100% of the time. I do worry that if I use someone else computer, I will have a little trouble. :blink:

I'm sure most people will be able to download the GPX file and save it to the right directory on their GPS. That's all the plugin does.

I'm sure you are right, I'm just saying that the useless feature will still be there.

I am old and change is hard, but I'm willing "change my workflow" if someone can show me the way. Downloading the GPX file from the cache page and moving it into my Garmin directory works, but requires me to open each cache page first. What I prefer to do is look at a map view, right-click on a cache and "send to GPS" ... but obviously this will no longer work in the future. How do I preview each cache and download the GPX file without having to launch each cache page? I do have GSAK, but haven't used it much. Can I use GSAK to preview caches and download their GPX file? Is there a walk-through somewhere to help me with this? There are so many "download to GPS" buttons throughout Geocaching.com that are no longer relevant. I hope they are developing something better.

I am old and change is hard, but I'm willing "change my workflow" if someone can show me the way. Downloading the GPX file from the cache page and moving it into my Garmin directory works, but requires me to open each cache page first. What I prefer to do is look at a map view, right-click on a cache and "send to GPS" ... but obviously this will no longer work in the future. How do I preview each cache and download the GPX file without having to launch each cache page? I do have GSAK, but haven't used it much. Can I use GSAK to preview caches and download their GPX file? Is there a walk-through somewhere to help me with this? There are so many "download to GPS" buttons throughout Geocaching.com that are no longer relevant. I hope they are developing something better.

Seems you're all set.

Create PQs for the area(s) you normally cache and use them to keep your database up-to-date in GSAK. You can also select an area + options and let GSAK import caches for you.

You can set a userflag for caches you want to do and when hitting F8 GSAK will only show you the caches with that userflag set. Next thing to do is export to GPS (from GSAK or with a macro to give you even more flexibility).

I hardly use the GC website as GSAK does a better job for just about anything.

I'm sure most people will be able to download the GPX file and save it to the right directory on their GPS. That's all the plugin does.

The plugin is not useless at all. First older Garmin units do work in a different manner. Second, the loc files do not contain the waypoints, what is sent via send-to-gps does contain them.

From Firefox:

Instead you just could have downloaded a signed version of Garmin communicator (which is available). That's the safer fix at the moment.

Not a GS problem. It is with Windoze, or the Windoze based versions of the browsers).

I have an iMac with 10.10,5 (Yosemite) and use the late=st version of Safari. The Garmin Communicator works flawlessly every tine. That or stop being a cheapskate and pony up the $30 for a premium membership and use PQs. It is well worth it.

From Firefox:

Except that anything after IE11 won't be compatible..

From Firefox:

Instead you just could have downloaded a signed version of Garmin communicator (which is available). That's the safer fix at the moment.

I do not believe a signed version is any longer available. If you know where I can find one, please share the link!

The plugin is not useless at all. First older Garmin units do work in a different manner. Second, the loc files do not contain the waypoints, what is sent via send-to-gps does contain them.

Why will the "send to GPS" button not be useless if it requires Garmin Communicator to work? Not trying to be difficult ... I'm just trying to learn.

Seems you're all set.

Create PQs for the area(s) you normally cache and use them to keep your database up-to-date in GSAK. You can also select an area + options and let GSAK import caches for you.

You can set a userflag for caches you want to do and when hitting F8 GSAK will only show you the caches with that userflag set. Next thing to do is export to GPS (from GSAK or with a macro to give you even more flexibility).

I hardly use the GC website as GSAK does a better job for just about anything.

I guess I need a more basic walk-through. I still don't get how I can scroll over the map, preview caches and download GPX files that I want. I am familiar with PQ's and use them from time to time, but I'm not clear on how they stay current. Are you suggesting that I run a PQ and download it into GSAK every time I want to go caching? If so, I gotta say that Garmin Communicator was a whole lot more user friendly and efficient. I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just trying to learn a new way of accomplishing what I used to do.

Why will the "send to GPS" button not be useless if it requires Garmin Communicator to work? Not trying to be difficult ... I'm just trying to learn.

It still works right now. Those who claim that the button is useless argue however along a different line anyhow, but ignore the fact that their suggested approach does not work for those who are not PMs. It does not help to have a method to send GPS-files to one's GPS-device if one has no access to the gpx files.

Like I just said, the Garmin communicator works fine on a Mac. The problem is on the Windows side. Groundspeak does not have to do anything

At the moment it works well with Firefox under Windows, too, but that will not continue forever as Garmin announced that they stop to support the Communicator due to changes in the browsers. So there definitely is something Groundspeak should do at the latest when the support for the communicator stops, namely making the data available that are not available via send to gps.

The feature no longer works to send information to my GPS. The feature is useless.

I am familiar with PQ's and use them from time to time, but I'm not clear on how they stay current. Are you suggesting that I run a PQ and download it into GSAK every time I want to go caching? If so, I gotta say that Garmin Communicator was a whole lot more user friendly and efficient. I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just trying to learn a new way of accomplishing what I used to do.

It's far easier now to keep your pocket query data up-to-date in GSAK, ever since the Geocaching.com API became available. GSAK is a trusted API partner and you can access the API features from the "Geocaching.com Access" menu in GSAK. You'll need to authenticate your account and then GSAK can communicate directly with the Geocaching.com database for many things, like uploading logs.

But for PQ management, the key tools are downloading and refreshing. First, you have the ability to download your PQ results quickly and efficiently into the appropriate GSAK database via the API, instead of laboriously downloading them one at a time. Run your favorite queries daily, weekly or on demand - it's up to you. If your data for the city 50 miles away is a bit stale, and you're heading out the door to go caching there, the other key tool is refreshing your database. You can either quickly update the status of selected caches to weed out any that have been disabled or archived recently, or you can do a "refresh" which downloads up to thirty recent logs for each cache. You can run "full" refreshes (limited to 6000 caches per day) or "lite" refreshes (up to 10,000 caches per day).

Properly managed, a large GSAK database can be maintained with only a few new pocket queries running to obtain newly published caches.

Edited by Keystone

I do not believe a signed version is any longer available. If you know where I can find one, please share the link!

I know for sure that there is one (the signed version is new) as I downloaded it and it works fine (with the newest version of Firefox)

I found it here

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/

by searching for Garmin communicator

This is weird. I just now downloaded the version I found as per your suggestion, and it did NOT work. Same error message. I have Firefox 43.0.1 and a Garmin Oregon 450.