Garmin eTrex 20x

tony_friday_20

Picked up a garmin etrex 20x today. Wondering what settings i should adjust to optimize this device for geocaching. any advise from current or previous users of this device is appreciated.

On your main menu click 'Setup' then click 'System' then click 'GPS'. You then select (toggle) and click 'GPS + GLONASS'. When done click the back button (top RHS) to take you back to main screen.

This will ensure that you receive all available sattelites for most accurate positioning.

Go again to Setup, then scroll down to and select units where you can select imperial or metric measurments etc.

Also from Setup scroll down to 'Position Format'click then select 'hddd.mm.mmm' This sets your coordinates format to that used for geocaching.

Also in Setup you can scroll down to 'Routing' to set your preferences.

Forgot to mention. In Setup select 'System' and scroll to 'Battery Type' and set that for the type of batteries you are using.

That's pretty much it. Other stuff you can play with and set for personal preference.

Something to keep in mind: With respect to being plugged into a computer, your GPSr (r = receiver) has two personalities, only one of which is active at a given time.

Setup --> System --> USB Mode --> Mass Storage

Interacts with your computer just as if the GPSr was just another removable drive; which is important if you want to use something to transfer data (including maps) to your device, such as Send to GPS, BaseCamp, Map Install, and a bunch of other programs. But in this mode your computer cannot ask your GPSr for your current location coordinates.

Setup --> System --> USB Mode --> Garmin

It sounds funny telling your Garmin to behave like a Garmin; but in this mode your computer can ask your GPSr for your location, which is useful for programs like Nroute, DeLorme Street Atlas, and so on. These programs can track your location by asking your GPSr for your current coordinates over the USB cable. However, in this mode your GPSr will not look like a removable drive, and you cannot ship data or maps back and forth between it and the computer.

You pick one of those modes depending on why you are connecting the GPSr to your computer. For me I have it in Mass Storage mode 99.99% of the time. I have only used it in Garmin mode with DeLorme Street Atlas running on my PC just a couple of times. (And actually it wasn't even my 20, it was my old eTrex Legend with the silly serial cable that I did that with!)

Picked up a garmin etrex 20x today. Wondering what settings i should adjust to optimize this device for geocaching. any advise from current or previous users of this device is appreciated.

On your main menu click 'Setup' then click 'System' then click 'GPS'. You then select (toggle) and click 'GPS + GLONASS'. When done click the back button (top RHS) to take you back to main screen.

This will ensure that you receive all available sattelites for most accurate positioning.

Go again to Setup, then scroll down to and select units where you can select imperial or metric measurments etc.

Also from Setup scroll down to 'Position Format'click then select 'hddd.mm.mmm' This sets your coordinates format to that used for geocaching.

Forgot to mention. In Setup select 'System' and scroll to 'Battery Type' and set that for the type of batteries you are using.

That's pretty much it. Other stuff you can play with and set for personal preference.

Thanks for the info. Got my device ready to go. Gonna take my wife on her first geocache tomorrow for our 3 year anniversary. this one should be good too. from what I hear its set up like a scavenger hunt.

Thanks for the info. Got my device ready to go. Gonna take my wife on her first geocache tomorrow for our 3 year anniversary. this one should be good too. from what I hear its set up like a scavenger hunt.

Er, um, you have downloaded caches to your etrex?