Visiting caches before the first drop?

digimuzik

Asked this in the pinned topic, but no responses, so thought I'd try in the full forum.

I'm ready to start caching and transporting in earnest with a family adventure planned around the state. We're prepping a bunch of TB's to drop off in various locations. Here's a new question (I've been scouring the forums and haven't come across anything like this):

If one of my shiny newly activated TB's has a goal like "visit every state park in the state", can I have it "visit" several caches before dropping it off at its first home? Or does a TB not become loggable until dropped once?

Somewhat related, if I'm going on a cross-country trip, is it kosher to stop by a new cache on the way out, but make the first drop at my destination? I'd like my bug's initial location to be near my home, but I don't want to be seen as artificially inflating its mileage. FWIW, I'm also planning on stopping by a TB Hotel near the airport to pick up a few other bugs and give them a several-hundred-mile boost!

It is your TB so you can do with it as you see fit. You can visit as many caches as you wish before dropping them off. Nothing wrong with picking up TB or GC's in a Hotel to add miles but you should make sure you take a look at the mission before removing them to make you are doing what is desired. I have seen so many trackables that this is not done on and end up on the other side of the world from the place than the owner had wanted.

PLEASE, always check the goal of a bug BEFORE you boost its miles. It may need to go across town, not across the state.

I have a bug on a race from Texas to North Carolina....it has been thrpugh the upperMidWest, an island in the Caribbean, and Canada. All of these placea are not the goal of the bug.

Yes, I would start with a local cache, that way it starts counting its mileage from there.

Yes, pick up those bugs and move them along! They want to move, not languish in a cache forever.

Just be sure to drop them in another cache soon so someone else also gets a chance to move them along ...

and be sure to log their travels (especially the pickup and drops) on the site so they show their movement.

PLEASE, always check the goal of a bug BEFORE you boost its miles. It may need to go across town, not across the state.

I have a bug on a race from Texas to North Carolina....it has been thrpugh the upperMidWest, an island in the Caribbean, and Canada. All of these placea are not the goal of the bug.

But how exciting to watch your bug travel and see where it goes next!

The routes are not always direct, but the journey may be interesting, and sometimes for a cache traveler going out of the way manages to actually help it get there faster. At least it is moving along and not lost.