Track-able/coin mileage

Ballynoes

I have noticed a lot of trackables and coins just seam to visit lots and lots of caches without stopping. It appears that owners are just taking them on a caching journey and logging them as "visited" just to get the mileage up.

I appreciate that these things can go astray, and people might not want to spend good money on a trackable or coin for it to go missing.

But what's the point of just taking them with you just so you can log an event, or am I missing something.

Just a thought.

I have one Geocoin. I only "visit" it to caches. I use it to keep track of which caches Hubby and I have found together vs. those that I found alone.

Other TBs that have been released into the wild - some cachers keep them for a while and visit them to a bunch of caches. I myself wouldn't want that many visit logs on my TBs - I'd prefer one or maybe two a day at most, and for them to drop it in a cache fairly quickly. Other TB owners like to see visits over having the TB sit in a cache for months. *shrug*

As to 'visits' ... some cachers take other owner's trackables (that they have found and retrieved) with them and visit all the caches they find. Probably wouldn't make much sense if it was through a 1,000 cache power trail, but each stop does add the miles traveled.

As an owner of a vehicle mounted TB, I have it 'visit' every cache I go to including the hides I own (250 of them) when I go there. Why? It is actually keeping track of the miles on the vehicle solely contributed through geocaching. It is fun to see just how many miles of our total miles on the car are used for geocaching pursuits. .... just a 'fun' thing and an easy way to keep track. My geo-partner has a walking stick with a trackable medallion that she visits every cache with and her mileage is different than my total since she does not travel with me to all caches and not too often on cache maintenance runs.

An advantage for visiting trackables ... when a trackable is 'visiting' regularly, at least you know it is still 'alive' and traveling. If a cacher picks it up and never logs 'visits', an owner begins to wonder ... 'where is it?' Sure, 400 visits a day is rather pointless on a power trail, but even that mileage adds up. A trackable owner never sees the 'visit' logs, only the notes, drops and retrieves until they go to the trackable's page.

Thanks for the replies, I am thinking about getting a track-able or two and was wondering about the logic behind this.

Thanks Again

Trackables can be great fun, but also can be frustrating. GeoCOINS seem to go missing more than any other trackable.

If you want to know more about the logic of travel bugs and travel tags, there is a separate group for these. >> TB's

Sometimes the info there can be more helpful since this section deals exclusively with geoCOINS (per the Forum rules).