Block a member from sending messages

gemker

I have an ex who will simply not leave me alone. He has sent text messages, emails, whats app messages, facebook messages despite my repeatedly asking to be left alone. I have blocked him from all forms of communication but hes now messaging on here and i cant seem to block it. is there a way? its ridiculous and im actually thinking of giving up geocaching and deleting the app from my phone because of this problem. Obviously im loath to do this as i actually enjoy geocaching, so if anyone could advice me how to block him, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Call up one of your ex's messages in the message center. Mouseover the username at the top of the screen, and a red circle pops up. Mouseover that and a box pops up that says "Block User." Click the red circle and you're done. Note: these instructions are for the website; I do not think you can do this in the App.

Also, if the messages you're receiving are in violation of the Terms of Use (threats, profanity, etc.), you can write to Geocaching HQ through the Help Center for assistance.

• Helpful 2

Is there a new method to block a user from sending messages?  I see the previous answer is from 2015.  I just tried the instructions, but when I mouse over the user's name, nothing happens.  I suspect it's because the site has been updated since then.  Is there a new procedure for blocking?  Thanks.

UPDATE:  Never mind--I found it.  In the left hand column of the user list, there is a circle with three dots in it.  If you left-click on it, it will allow you to block the user.

Edited by Spacemann Spiff
  • Helpful 1

Further Update:  Well, even though I followed the procedure (yesterday) to block someone, today I have a round yellow circle on the envelope icon, indicating I have a new message.  But when I go to my Message Center, there is no new message there (on my laptop).  Deciding to see what it looked like on my phone (Android), it also shows the yellow circle ("new message").  It also shows a preview of the message received today, and it's from the person I blocked.  Why is it showing me a preview of a message today if I blocked this user yesterday???  If I touch on the preview, it brings up the message thread, but only shows the conversation PRIOR to my blocking them.  The message shown in the preview is not visible.

Additionally, although the yellow circle goes away (temporarily) after I exit out, a few minutes later the yellow circle reappears, indicating a new message.  But it's just the same message that was already there (which I can't see, other than in the preview, since I blocked the user).  So how do I get rid of this?  So am I going to have the yellow "new message" circle permanently displaying on my profile since I can't view the actual message after blocking the user?  This seems like only "half-blocking."  And in the process I went through yesterday, it said the only way to unblock someone would be to send them a message.  But I don't want to send them a message.  So how can I clear the new-message indicator without unblocking the user???