official geocaching app on monterra

kplmedic

As an Android developer, that's not totally accurate, Mineral2. NEW apps may not be developed/tested for it, but the apps that were on it won't suddenly disappear. This is the same as on the closed units. Android devs can decide they no longer care about older OSes and new versions just don't show up in Play and aren't sent update notices.

There's some awkwardness about apps that touch other parts of the geocaching ecosystem (notably, Groundspeak API) and there's some potential that if, say, the API changed in an incompatible way that forced the app to update and the app had otherwise raised the floor from ICS, you could be hosed but that, too, is the same as the closed apps. When, for example, Groundspeak introduced Giga events, it's not like my Colorado magically got icons for it.

Microsoft Word 3.0 continues to work on DOS 3.3, I'd assume...it's when you update only half of the OS/App couplings that you get into trouble.

In practice, the changes since 4.0.4 are pretty minimal for a geocaching type app. Jelly Bean's animation framework makes for nice eye candy, but isn't difficult to avoid. Everything else in 4.0 is pretty well fleshed out for this type of app. It's not like, say, Gingerbread where supporting it is actual work.

Supporting Monterra's screen resolution is the real problem for many apps not developed with such a low-res screen in mind. The Android sims make it possible to test layouts on such devices, but there's just an abnormally low number of dots for a "modern" Android device on Monterra.

But the difference between the Monterra and all other GPS is that the Monterra connects to the web and is therefore vulnerable to attacks. It seems like most app and OS updates fix security holes in addition to bugs. Firmware updates on the rest of the Garmin line are mostly just about fixing bugs and occasionally adding functionality.

Can you return it?

It sounds like recent changes to the API - forced by some security issue - make ALL caching apps incompatible with that old Android version. All the API apps, plus the workaround app, as you've noticed. So all you can run is Garmin's built-in stuff, yeck.

Rugged phones with current Android are cheap-cheap on AliExpress and run all manner of caching apps. Better specs than Garmin too.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
3 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

So all you can run is Garmin's built-in stuff, yeck.

Nothing wrong with the Garmin software. I prefer it over any app any time and I use the Monterra on daily basis.

The only app I occasionally use are WhereYouGo for Wherigo caches and GDAK for my GSAK backup databases.

If you still want to use other apps: as long as you don't make any API calls, they still work in offline mode.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, YankeeDude said:

How did you manage to install 4.1x on your Monterra?! ? Do tell. 

It was a different device. Play store let me install the app which is not working. I think it must be version 4.4 at least.

Edited by arisoft