GPS/battery/charger issue with Oregon 450

terratin

Did anyone ever experience something similar? Either my Oregon 450, or the Eneloops, or the loader are broken. I recharge the batteries, the charger stops blinking, indicating both batteries are fully charged. Then I put them into the storage box and into my gps when the previous ones are empty. Only: the GPS indicates the fresh ones are either half empty or empty already. :( This has happened a few times already during this vacation, but not always. I don't have the usual charger with me but a cheaper one. Maybe that is the problem, though Mr. terratin doesn't seem to have the same problems with his Garmin Etrex 30.

So I just exchanged the batteries: Oregon almost empty for Etrex full according to their displays. Oregon now displays that the battery is 3/4 full, Etrex displays 3/4 full as well. I know that the Oregon needs more energy. Any ideas?

While there may be problems withe the batteries and/or charger, have you checked the settings in your GPS for battery type?

If you're using a different charger, is it a type that can charge the batteries you're using?

Need to check again as I haven't looked at that for ages. When I bought this gps I immediately set it to the right type for eneloops, switched off everything I don't need, powersaving on. Ok, just checked: it's set to Rechargeable NiMH. That's the correct type, isn't it?

The original Sanyo branded Eneloop chargers of the 2007 era, as well as the current Panasonic branded chargers of the 2014 era, both cut off charging at a sustained 1.49 volts according to my $7.00 voltmeter. I have discarded a few of my original Eneloops over the years due to leaving them on the patio in the rain, etc. The remaining ones seem to continue plugging along in charging rotation with the newer ones. If you can find a bundled 4x1.5v charger with AA and AAA Panasonic Eneloops, it may be of a design which charges each cell individually, as did the original Sanyo chargers. Individual cell charging is helpful in spotting bad cells.

Note: Although the charger cuts off at 1.49v or so, the Eneloop NiMH cells will drop to a voltage around 1.37v max after a day or so, and then maintain 1.25-1.20 v in light duty use until nearly run down. GPS device "meters" may take this NiMH voltage curve characteristic into consideration when showing percentages of charge.

Edited by 39_Steps

I would definitely suspect the charger and not the batteries. I don't think they are getting a valid full charge.

I have a total of 20 Eneloops purchased back when Sanyo Eneloop brand was new (several years ago). Mine have always been charged with a Maha 9000 charger and are still going strong. Those 20 are used to power 4 GPSs, 1 scanner, 2 handheld Ham radios and a camera.

Several years ago (at least 7) I bought a LaCrosse charger and began using Eneloops in all our electonic devices; 2 gps, tv remotes, flashlights etc. Every couple of years I "refresh" the batteries as the charger has that function and the Eneloops perform like new batteries. BTW the "refresh" charge usually takes a couple of days as the charger performs multiple discharge/charge cycles.

Yes it is, I'd suspect the charger? Alternative is your eneloops have reached the end of their useful life.

If the eneloops have reached the end of life, wouldn't they still show 100% initially, but have a shorter life? I'm not sure--I use those, but all have charged to 100% over the past few years, but I do notice that some don't last as long.

Edited by GrateBear

Yes it is, I'd suspect the charger? Alternative is your eneloops have reached the end of their useful life.

If the eneloops have reached the end of life, wouldn't they still show 100% initially, but have a shorter life? I'm not sure--I use those, but all have charged to 100% over the past few years, but I do notice that some don't last as long.

Using a smart charger like those from Maha or LaCrosse, they also show mah capacity after they are charged. And you can spot those that are getting to end of life that way. For example, charging 2000 mah batteries and if any of them show only 1700 after charging, it's time to think about replacing.

I've found most of my caches (thousands) with two pairs of Energizers that took forever to die. The smart charger (Maha C-9000) would top them up to the usual voltage (~1.45V), but over time their ultimate capacity would diminish. No problem, I didn't mind using cells rated for 2000 that now only managed 1600 or so. That's still a day or two of caching in the battery-efficient older Garmins.

What finally killed them was internal resistance (impedance) being too high. The charger tests for that when you first insert a cell (you might notice a temporarily high voltage on the display while it does that), it'll say "HIGH" and refuse to go any further. Sometimes a refresh cycle would fix this, sometimes it wouldn't. And in the latter case, I knew it was FINALLY time to toss the tired old cell.

(Now I cache with a Li-Ion battery that charges wirelessly when I set my phone down on the charging puck; much more convenient.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido