How do I turn off the New Message Center?

Lt.Ranger.Bob

Since the new Message Center has gone on-line I am getting messages all the time for hints on how to find caches, this did not happen as much when they had to send an email. Maybe they are standing at the cache and cannot find it and think I will drop everything and tell them the location of the cache before they leave ground zero by sending me a message. In addition it seems like a lot of people think this is a social media system like facebook and everyone should take part. I for one am not big on social media and want to turn this feature off. Is it possible to turn off the Message Center and if not can this feature be added for at least Premium Members?

Since the new Message Center has gone on-line I am getting messages all the time for hints on how to find caches, this did not happen as much when they had to send an email. Maybe they are standing at the cache and cannot find it and think I will drop everything and tell them the location of the cache before they leave ground zero by sending me a message. In addition it seems like a lot of people think this is a social media system like facebook and everyone should take part. I for one am not big on social media and want to turn this feature off. Is it possible to turn off the Message Center and if not can this feature be added for at least Premium Members?

+1

Unfortunately it's not an option to simply "turn off" the message center. Many cachers wish there was, but there is not. Also, although I don't have the links at my disposal right now, there's multiple other threads on this topic if you use the search function.

Thank you for the reply. This is something that Groundspeak needs to address because it is a invasion of my privacy and don't want it. I know I can turn the email notification off but that is not the point I don't want to receive the message in the first place. I know it can be done because it is turned off for the Reviewers.

As it can't be switched off, the next best thing is to ignore it. It's just an icon in the top bar of the website and notifications CAN be switched off. Don't look at the little envelope with shiny yellow number on top... problem solved.

I know it can be done because it is turned off for the Reviewers.

No Message link appears on reviewer profiles. you can use some html to obfuscate that link on your player profile - it won't matter

The Message link DOES appear on reviewer owned cache pages, and messages are sent by that link. I expect the bulk of messaging, especially the in the field hint requests that bother you, come via that link, not by viewing your profile.

Like you, I receive in both my player and reviewer account messages that assume I'm active on the other end, responding instantly. Mostly I ignore, some i respond to.

No, it's not an invasion of privacy, any more than junk mail in your mailbox or spam in your email inbox is an invasion of privacy.

"Invasion of privacy" assumes the person at the other end is finding out something private about you. By sending a note via the Message Center, they're not finding out anything; they're sending a message into space, hoping for a response.

If you don't respond, they don't know anything about you except that you don't respond to messages. :ph34r:

Signed,

TriciaG the Pedant. :laughing:

The few latest times I've received a message on that mc thing, I looked up their profile and responded by email.

If they ever look at mine (maybe wondering what gives), they'll see "we only use email" on the page.

The phone-a-friend thing around here is now texts for its instant messaging.

Odd that that message center thing doesn't work that way too.

It didn't come up on the only method they now use to communicate.

Maybe it's smartphone only.

They were home before they saw the mc thing I placed (one of only a few I've ever done).

They're actually a bit upset that they have to call me on the phone.

- I often have to remind them they're using a phone...

Edited by cerberus1

The few latest times I've received a message on that mc thing, I looked up their profile and responded by email.

If they ever look at mine (maybe wondering what gives), they'll see "we only use email" on the page.

The phone-a-friend thing around here is now texts for its instant messaging.

Odd that that message center thing doesn't work that way too.

It didn't come up on the only method they now use to communicate.

Maybe it's smartphone only.

They were home before they saw the mc thing I placed (one of only a few I've ever done).

They're actually a bit upset that they have to call me on the phone.

- I often have to remind them they're using a phone...

HUH?

People are actually upset that they have to "Call" you for a hint? :blink:

REALLY???

If I ever got that, see if they even get a hint! :lol:

Entitled or what?

Ok but with email I can filter out spam but with the message center I can not. I am forced to see I have messages every time I log on to GC.com.

You aren't forced to check the Message Center when you log on. I notice one message that had been waiting for over two weeks before I read it. I had the notifications turned off from the Message Center, so I didn't know they had sent me the message. It was from a cacher who had logged a cache of mine, they were giving me a bit more detail of the cache situation.

Ok but with email I can filter out spam but with the message center I can not. I am forced to see I have messages every time I log on to GC.com.

You aren't forced to check the Message Center when you log on. I notice one message that had been waiting for over two weeks before I read it. I had the notifications turned off from the Message Center, so I didn't know they had sent me the message. It was from a cacher who had logged a cache of mine, they were giving me a bit more detail of the cache situation.

I said see it not check it.

You're getting your knickers in a rather big knot over a little yellow dot in the top right hand corner of the screen then. Relax a little, you might actually enjoy life.

You're getting your knickers in a rather big knot over a little yellow dot in the top right hand corner of the screen then. Relax a little, you might actually enjoy life.

It is not a little yellow dot, it is a number. Why is it wrong for me to say I don't like something and want to turn it off? I asked a very simple question, and all everyone wants to do is jump on me because I don't like the feature. Why is it wrong to want to turn this off? I don't care if others want to use it, I just want to turn it off for myself.

Because Groundspeak have decided that the message centre is going to be the backbone of the communications system for users of their services.

It is a system that will allow all users to contact all users, doesn't matter if they are using an app that doesn't require email validation or if they signed up with a throwaway account. They can still be reached.

Groundspeak lackeys have said that they will not be including any system to "turn it off" so that's that. If you don't wish to use it then learn to ignore the number in the top right hand corner of the screen.

It is not a little yellow dot, it is a number. Why is it wrong for me to say I don't like something and want to turn it off? I asked a very simple question, and all everyone wants to do is jump on me because I don't like the feature. Why is it wrong to want to turn this off? I don't care if others want to use it, I just want to turn it off for myself.

I don't like it either and I wish there was an opt out feature. You are free to say the same. However, that request had been made in many places in the forums NUMEROUS times with the same response. It ain't gonna happen. They came up with this communication method. Then they implemented it and then patted themselves on the back when a flawed survey (my opinion) said everybody loves it. The majority of comments here in the forums are negative, but forum comments are given little or no weight. Again, I agree with you but you are spinning your wheels because it is a fait accompli. But ifyou want to spin your wheels you should feel free to do so without being berated by others.

It's just a matter of taming your curiosity. The light is lit - so what? Ignore it. I log in to email more times a day than I log into this site. Let's say i'm sending a quick email and have no time to read emails. Yet the number of unread emails stares me in the face. It's *my decision* what I do next. The same applies to the message center.

Problem solved. :)

GS won't let you shut off the light because they want you involved with their product 24/7/365 - just as any organization or business does.