Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
thesmurfinator

HUGE 300km hike(186miles) with over 1000 caches?

Just trying to find out if there is any interest in this. The route is in Spain and travels over the Sierra Nevada mountain range. It would probably need to be set up for Oct/Nov next year 2016 due to weather conditions. Would anyone be interested in doing it? Maybe sponsored for a charity?

here is some info on the route: http://casa-rural-el-paraje.blogspot.com.es/2010/04/sulayr-gr240-introduction-and-links.html

You may get more interest in the forums for Spain.

An international forum is good for discussing gear and such, but maybe not too many participating. :)

That looks amazing! Do you have a better idea of a time frame for the trip? I would be interested, but it will heavily depend on the time investment, since for some reason my employer would like me to actually work for a paycheck. =)

I'd say it would take two weeks of laid-back hiking to accomplish this.

When I was placing my 69km (43 mile) multi, I averaged around 20km (12 miles) a day as I was hiking in and out each day, it was the height of summer, and I kept getting to the trailhead around noon and hiking until early evening. The hardest terrain was constant hills that at most were 45m (150 feet) in total elevation delta. So if I was backpacking it, I'd probably be hiking from 8AM - 7PM, supposing the sun were to set at 8:30PM. That gives me eleven hours. Doing geocaching, say close to the minimum distance between caches, would chew up two hours as I doubt the caches are going to be right next to the trail or fairly obvious. We're now at nine hours of distance hiking. Factor in lunch, a few breaks to catch your breath, stops for pictures, and you're down to seven and a half useful hours of hiking, less if you want to launder your clothes at some point. Let's round it back up to eight useful hours. In my example, I'd say that would mean I'd be able to do 27km (16,7 miles) in a day. (This still seems a bit high for mountain hiking as I don't like doing distances like that on the Appalachian Trail as a good percentage of the distance you walk is in changing altitude, not latitude or longitude.) Doing the math, that's a little over eleven days. Factor in some low distance days and margin for estimation error due to altitude differences between my estimate and the actual place and you're looking at two weeks, perhaps more. Personally, I'd want to take my time doing something like this, but there's no way work will let me off for this long. That's one major reason why I haven't gone over to Europe; I'd want to stay longer.

Personally, I'd want to take my time doing something like this, but there's no way work will let me off for this long. That's one major reason why I haven't gone over to Europe; I'd want to stay longer.

Haha, ditto. There are so many things I'd love to do and experience over there, including a trail such as this... but it's not just a vacation trip, it's a extended excursion. But it looks great! If I lived there'd I think it would certainly be doable in segments.

:blink: that's a lot of Battery life to carry around, maybe invest in rechargeable with a solar charger.

That looks like a lot fun, good luck & please do a follow up of how the trip went as in Pos & Cons.