Coordinates?How to

Citylist

Geesh, I have spent about 10 different days, about 5 hours each day trying to find out how to find a coordinate. Im not stupid, I just dont know the terminology and cannot figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Here are the coordinates....I think thats what these are.

8159.62 Feet N 40°00'0"E and 1183.60 feet N 50°00'00" W

How would I enter these in a map to find out where it is? Or what are these numbers?

That looks like it could be a bearing and distance call from a property description, or something like that. Or it could be something like a distance/bearing instruction set, where beginning at a starting point you would travel a certain distance at a certain bearing to a new point, then travel the next distance at the next bearing to a final point.

I'm just guessing here. We really need more information to help you with this question.

Geesh, I have spent about 10 different days, about 5 hours each day trying to find out how to find a coordinate. Im not stupid, I just dont know the terminology and cannot figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Here are the coordinates....I think thats what these are.

8159.62 Feet N 40°00'0"E and 1183.60 feet N 50°00'00" W

How would I enter these in a map to find out where it is? Or what are these numbers?

It is quite possible you are looking at a boundary line description, and trying to figure out where some corner markers are. I have seen many examples where someone has a GPS and a fundamental understanding of coordinates, and are convinced these are a type of coordinate they do not understand. These ARE NOT COORDINATES ! ! ! They are direction and magnitude data. You have to know the existing location of at least one corner marker (preferably two), and the remainder can be determined reasonably well with complete and accurate data. You want some terminology to help you research and understand the data - here is one.

Quadrant bearing:

In this method the compass dial is divided into four quadrants, namely NE, SE, SW, and NW. North and south are at 0 degrees, and depending on the quadrant, angles (up to 90 degrees) are measured away from north or south (whichever is nearer) towards East and West directions. For example since Northeast (NE) is 45 degrees towards east of North, using quadrant notation it would be N45°E (read North-45 degrees-East). Similarly NNW is equal to N22.5°W. ESE is S67.5°E.

Edited by Cardinal Red