[VIDEO] Garmin 650t Utter Frustration... plz watch.

FireBoxRazor

It may be more useful to just list your settings.

Many if not most settings are per profile. Best thing to do is stick to one profile (geocaching) and then go to SETUP and make the necessary changes.

As the manual is close to useless take a look at the Oregon wiki. Read ALL of it. I'm 99.9% sure the problem is not the GPS :lol:

One of the things to check is if you have "lock on road" set to off otherwise your location will "stick" to a nearby road even if you're not standing there.

I'm not sure if a profile file of a 600 will work on a 650t but if you want I can send you my backup geocaching file to try.

BTW, before making a lot of changes, backup your profiles folder to your computer. That way you can always put things back as they were.

I learned this the hard way as my Oregon crashed a few times messing up the active (GC) profile in the act. I now have a geocaching profile AND a geocaching_BU profile. If one gets corrupted during a crash I can just select the other and I'm up and running again in seconds. Back hope I can the overwrite the corrupt profile file to it"s original settings.

Edited by on4bam

Tried all those. instead of the beautiful route (which is perfect) before you press go... it then creates random spikes where the route does not follow the preview instead we have lots of going back and forth..

setup>routing> is set to hiking.

Why is the preview perfect.. then press go.. a right mess.

Edited by FireBoxRazor

Makes my blood boil.. and leaves me wanting to stomp on it.

Route is all good including all the paths and snikinets, until you press go.. then no matter what setting i use... blood curdling...

what is going on??

The video is like watching a magic trick. I wish I could see what did just then, but in an instant, the rabbit vanished. :laughing:

There seem to be some kind of routable maps installed. The device does not have factory installed routable maps. If these are maps you purchased, the seller may advise. With several overlaid maps with routable trails and roads, it could get crazy. And the trail map itself may have anomalies and not be suitable for "routing". If you have several maps, try selecting only one map at a time (the current trail). If you can set up Garmin Basecamp, you may see what the GPSr sees, and draw your own route to follow.

Stomp the map files if you wish, but the GPSr is doing its best with what you selected.

Edited by kunarion

Tried all those. instead of the beautiful route (which is perfect) before you press go... it then creates random spikes where the route does not follow the preview instead we have lots of going back and forth..

That "going back and forth" does sound like the device is trying to perform intermittent road routing between off-road route points and the nearest roads. Deselecting all maps (perhaps by pulling an SD memory card) may let the device work properly in a direct point-to-point Hike routing mode for reference.

I have seen such routing images posted by users of Garmin Fit files trying to import a non-supported route into Delorme Topo in road routing mode.

Edited by 39_Steps

Hiking or any other activity should NOT be selected. You have a direct route loaded, you must select the Direct profile!

@Susamb-

We perhaps should quit meeting like this every two hours or so. :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that by definition "Hike" mode in this particular Garmin Device only works for Road Routing? Or do some Garmin Devices support a proprietary Trail (not Track or Road) routing mode, as do the Delorme PN-40/60 Devices? In that case, disabling Automatic Route Recalculation may provide a solution.

As usual there's not enough info given by the TS.

Maybe a shortlist of needed info is handy.

1. Did you change settings in the used profile?

2. What profile are you using?

3. What maps do you have installed?

3b. Are/is the(se) map(s) routable?

4. Which map(s) is/are active?

5. What's the setting in setup > Routing > Activity ?

6. What's the setting in setup > Routing > Lock on road ?

Edited by on4bam

I've watched the OP video several times, and I think I'm getting a better idea of at least what the problem is. The OP is not trying to use routable roads. He's trying to follow a Route that was previously set up. It does seem like some settings have been changed from factory settings.

I'll be bowing out of the conversation after this. I need a text conversation all in one place (this Forum). Replying to a Video is for the birds.

At :20, he selected the "Recreational" Profile and got the error that there are no "routable maps". This means street routing is on, but no routable maps are selectable.

At :25 still in Recreational, he selected Routes, Poppington, a previously created Route file. There's a "Route Calculation Error". I can't read the rest of the error message, but it does seem like the custom "Route" is looking for maps that aren't loaded.

At :52, he selects "Classic" Profile, which is trying to do street routing. In this Profile there are street maps loaded (or is that just the Route line?), and there are saved Routes, but he has also swapped to completely different settings from the previous Recreational Profile. There's a big difference between following a custom "Route", and street routing. Again, there are some settings that need to be fixed, if routable street maps were working just fine in the Recreational Profile.

At 1:14 he selected "Direct Routing". This is called "Crow-flies" navigation directly to a waypoint. The OP is selecting settings like crazy on-the-fly, and these are saved over the default Profiles, as he selects them. This can change the Profiles to do anything but what they were originally for.

1:24, Hiking Profile, and there's a "Route Calculation Error". What does the rest of the error say? It looks like it says "Maps do not have routable roads". At this point, the Garmin is trying to both route on roads and along a custom "Route", and is not even loading a street map. One of those options need to be de-selected. Maybe? Anyway, the default "Hiking" Profile does not route along roads. Something has changed.

What kind of maps has the OP loaded? If there are no street maps, don't use the Profiles that have settings to route on street maps. Otherwise you get those Map errors.

If the Profiles are all non-Profiley, the OP can call Garmin, and get the default Profiles restored. Then keep them as backups. Start fresh, select "Hiking" (for example), and make some minor adjustments to suit. Use that Profile for the custom Routes.

If you see a lot of splines and lines superimposed on the map, look at Track settings. You can hide the "Track", which draws itself as you walk.

Who created the Route?

Edited by kunarion

While looking at how to make "Routes", I see references to Routes that have segments set to "Driving Mode". Be aware that if you load a Route that requires Driving Mode, you also need the appropriate routable street maps, and have the chosen Profile configured accordingly. I can't tell if it applies in this case, but it's a consideration. It looks so much like this is what the OP's problem is, I just had to mention it. :anicute:

See this: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?76619-Creating-a-Route-from-a-Track&p=267187#post267187

I guess it all depends on how the Route in question was made. If the OP made it himself on the Oregon, perhaps try making it again from scratch.

It may help if the OP could post the files for the "Hiking Profile", and the "Route" in question, so these could be analyzed. And reply whether or not he's installed "routable street maps". But not replying in a video. B)

Edited by kunarion

Right guys. I have wiped the unit completely, back to factory settings all fresh, all new... so...

Which profile should i be using for routes created and downloaded .GPX files.

Under profiles we have :

Recreational

Geochaching

Automotive

classic

There are more but won't be using them such as fitness and motorcycle

The when you guys have told me which one form above.. I will go into setup > Routes and makes sure stick to road is OFF? CORRECT?

Route transitions > auto

Activity > Direct Routing

All good so far?

Satellite system > GPS + GLONASS

WASS/EGNOS > ON

I have uk Maps that came with the unit, the ones that get fuzzy when you zoom in and CachMapUK which is a raster map and worldwide DEM Basemap NR. ALL 3 ARE CURRENTLY ACTIVE.

Setting for map currently are :

ORENTATION : Track up

guidance text = always

Options for route calculation :

Direct routing

automotive driving

pedestrianwalkimg

hiking

mountaneering

tav off road

Which 1 should i choose?

I have uk Maps that came with the unit, the ones that get fuzzy when you zoom in and CachMapUK which is a raster map and worldwide DEM Basemap NR. ALL 3 ARE CURRENTLY ACTIVE.

Well, you don't have routable street maps, so your settings to not route on roads are good. Except Automotive, which you might as well leave as is. If someone hands you an SD card with routable roads, you could use Automotive without changing settings.

If you get it set up real nice in a way that "Routes" work, post a video about how to do that! :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

route transitions rigger options :

auto

manual

distance

Auto.

What happened to the "Hiking" profile? That one uses no street routing by default, and shouldn't require lots of changes to follow a route.

I downloaded the route in your link, and will try to see if there's any funny business in it. If any leg requires street routing, there's your problem.

Then whats the hiking profile for?

Profiles are a great base to start from. As you get used to your unit and get experience geocaching you can tweak the settings to your liking.

The newer Garmins are in fact computers with a lot of features and as you only just started you'll have to go through the learning curve. I have my 600 for just over two years now and every once in a while I still make small adjustments to the settings.

Then whats the hiking profile for? my god Garmin manual is useless.

Right, there isn't a factory default Profile named Hiking. That's a routing option that as mentioned, you don't use if you are traveling direct from point to point. Select Direct Routing (which I guess you are doing now). In a previous thread that I had completely forgotten about :anicute:, Direct Routing fixed the map error. So, here's hoping!

Each Profile is a collection of all the custom settings. Change profiles, and all the settings change with them. Pretty cool, since one click can swap to a whole new setup, including menu icons and all. You can change any Profile to do anything, even Direct routing if you like (but don't tell anybody I said that B)). And you can rename them, duplicate them, refine in many ways. I have two Geocaching Profiles, one for driving, one for walking, with icons and settings just so, for each. I should make a video! :laughing:

Remember that if you change a setting, it's saved immediately in the currently selected Profile. So if you use the Profile called Direct for your routes, be careful to make selections that don't mess it up (once you get it set as you like). And you can copy Garmin files to a computer, to have a backup.

Edited by kunarion

There is a profile called hiking.

Cool. I was so sure I had a "Hiking" Profile on my 650T, I asked about it by name. I'm starting to wonder if I deleted it (or renamed it).

Anyway, to be sure we're on the same page, in the Oregon's menu, tap "Profile Change", then tap "Hiking". Now you're in the Hiking Profile, which should now be a clean, factory version. All the default Hiking Profile settings are OK for your Route, except one:

Tap Setup, then Routing, then select Direct Routing. While on that screen, be sure Lock On Road is "Off".

The Hiking Profile has other tools in view for hikers, probably some other settings that could be adjusted. But the main one is that Routing setting. I think that should do the trick, and that it will point to the next waypoint on your route until you arrive at that one, and then it points to the next.

Another way to select Direct Routing is this:

Tap "Where To?", then

Tap "Change Route Activity", then

Tap "Direct Routing".

I don't think that's different from the Setup selection, but there you go, just in case you need it.

If this works, always select the Hiking Profile, before starting your route. There are even more cool things you can do at that point, but I'll let you get this issue fixed first.

Be warned, I was specifically told stop talking about the Hiking Profile, because it's not "helpful". :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

I'm surprised your Oregon doesn't have a Direct Profile.

Look at the settings in the geocaching profile. If I remember correctly it defaults to direct routing.

My 600 had these profiles out of the box:

Geocaching

Automotive

Recreational

Marine

Fitness

Classic

Motorcycle

I created a GC-backup profile to cover my a** in case of a crash in the field that corrupts the active profile.

Good plan, I do the same :)

On top of that I also have a backup of my profiles on an USB drive with me that can be plugged in to my tablet. That way I can even connect the GPS to the tablet and restore in the field too.

Looking at your list it's different to the profiles I had 'out the box' on my two GPS. Wonder if the 'Classic' has replaced the 'Direct' profile?

Maybe. Anyway, I never considered a profile anything more than a base to start from when personalizing my GPS. Since I followed the evolution in GPSes since 1999 (GPS12XL - Colorado - Oregon) I mostly know what I'm doing when changing settings and that may not be the case when you're new to geocaching and outdoor GPSes and jump in with a unit that has 100's of things you can change.

@kunarion

My apologies, and for sure you're correct if the 650 doesn't have a Direct profile you will need to create one (or modify an existing one)so that routing can be set to Direct or whatever other term (off road?) the Oregon 650 uses if you use 'point to point' routes as I do almost 100% of the time, and which the OP has loaded from the site he quoted.

Apology accepted. No problem! :P

I was similarly confused in a very similar thread a little while ago. I think some Garmin Oregon's arrive with Profiles installed that others don't. UK GPSrs come with different maps than US ones, for sure.

Edited by kunarion

I loaded the OP's GPX route "to Pockington" into my GPSr (Garmin Oregon 650T), removed all my routable maps, and opened it in the current Recreational Profile, which has "Direct Routing" already set. Yet the first error, even before opening the Route was this:

"This route does not match the available maps! It will not follow the roads preciscely. Do you want to recalculate the route?"

I tapped "No", the error went away, and now no profile nor setting causes the error. I'm on my way to Pockington! Yay!!! Oh, wait. I'm in Atlanta.

So I can't thoroughly test it, but here's a plan of action. Load a Route, and if it says "Recalculate?", select "No". Because you do not want it to "recalculate and follow the roads precisely", you want to walk the route as posted on that site. There are a lot of straight lines point-to-point, but that's what Direct Routing will do.

I also loaded it into Basecamp, and there's no street map, and no error. I see that Basecamp defaults to the "Driving Activity Profile, Faster Time" when creating a new Route, but evidently this may be over-ridden in the GPSr settings. That's kind of what we hope to do in this thread: Tell the GPSr to NOT try to follow roads/trails, just go Direct with no errors.

Here's some info what causes the error (emphasis mine):

"Perhaps caused by using a combination of two versions of [you area's] maps. The roads on each map will not be identical due to alignment etc hence the GPS cannot follow a precise route constructed from more than a single map. Your best bet is to re-plan the route using only one map. Also, when using the GPS, pays to turn off the same country's map so that only one is showing at any one time to avoid searching issues.

You get that message if your route goes outside the maps you selected even a tiny bit. Now, how does that happen you say? Well, when you're building your route in Mapsource, be sure you have the City Select map set selected.

It's possible to route in another map set such as Metroguide or City Navigator which have slight variations in map data. If you do this, you might seem to have a complete route and appropriate map set on the PC but when you load them to the GPS, it has to re-route to match map set installed and can't."

Edited by kunarion

Here's my thought: In Basecamp, you can assign a routing method when you build a route. Maybe basecamp now writes that routing preference with the route into the gpx file and the Oregon 650 can read it and try to route with that preference over the current profile's default preference.

Thus a route created in Basecamp with Hiking selected as the routing option will try to route along roads and trails in the GPS regardless of whether the profile's default routing is set to direct.

Here's my thought: In Basecamp, you can assign a routing method when you build a route. Maybe basecamp now writes that routing preference with the route into the gpx file and the Oregon 650 can read it and try to route with that preference over the current profile's default preference.

Thus a route created in Basecamp with Hiking selected as the routing option will try to route along roads and trails in the GPS regardless of whether the profile's default routing is set to direct.

I've read that the "routing activity" may be embedded in the Route file, even into individual legs of the Route. That would be a useful feature, except in the OP's case.

Here's the route. It follows paths and roads very well, so I'd expect not a lot of confusion, even without street routing. You walk along roads, then to paths, then back to roads. It's similar to a plan I have for a nearby town, for a Geocaching Route which could otherwise be tricky if it relied only on street routing.

de7893f7-0033-446e-8f4b-35f72330f55a.jpg

You start at Pockington, walk 4 miles to Millington, hit the pub, walk 4 miles back to Pockington, and hit the pub. That seems like a great walk to me! :P

Edited by kunarion

The downloadable gpx file turns out to be a simple 26 point route with waypoints numbered sequentially. If moved 100 degrees to the west in Canada, this route can be made to open properly in Delorme Topo9 as a direct point to point route in sparsely populated areas. Even so, I needed to use Draw features to create a new nearby connecting road to the closest available Canadian vectored road in order to make Direct routing work.

Note: Delorme Topo North America is deliberately designed to only route within 62 miles (100 km) of Canada, USA, and Mexico roads in standard default mode. Worldwide mapping is available for extra cost download.

Then I tried my only available Garmin device, a Nuvi 56 with only US/Canadian CN maps of England. Nuvi Off-Road routing would not work on the OP's Pocklington original direct 26 point gpx file somewhere north of London and East of York. Wonky attempted basemap road routing results, which may be what the OP is seeing on the Garmin 650 originated from London, even when the map location was moved and set at, or east of, York.

The Nuvi has now been spinning its wheels for over 20 minutes trying to load my modified (shifted 100 degrees gpx file for use in Canada. No go, so I will export a Canadian gpx Direct 26 point file from Delorme Topo 9 to see if that works in the Nuvi.

I did not try Garmin Base Camp, as in some instances it cannot count past 9 (of 15 or 26)when attempting to manipulate and reorder route points. Good luck to the OP, who may need to find some experienced user with the same exact model device and same exact maps to figure out his issues.

This all would seem to be way off topic for single point gpx routing, which is quite a bit simpler. Note: This is where some moderator would typically jump in on the BaseCamp forum to point out that it is a device, not a computer app problem and close the thread.

So the device recalculates moving forward and does not show passed points, points which are hopefully in a straight line for simplicity. My mileage may vary with loop routes on any device, depending on available options, including being able to disable automatic recalculation on some devices. Nuvi has no way to disable recalculation or to independently route multiple stops off road.

Nuvi56 Trip Planner will correctly display route points, and number them in correct order in route directions (in GB or NA). Unfortunately it does not seem to present the desired direct routing display of multiple points for hiking. Off-road routing is just that, back and forth lines to hiking points perpendicular from 'nearby' roads to waypoint flags. This is with a gpx file export of route points from either the original gpx download or from a Delorme Topo9 export. Usable in an emergency, if you are a golfer who can hike - not drive - from flag to flag.

I did try again with the Delorme products. Both the Delorme Topo9 Windows(10) computer app and the PN-60 handheld gps device can create and display a point to point direct route at high resolution, as desired, but without bundled detailed road or topo maps of GB landscape for reference. Only North America maps were bundled with the PN-60 kit. I did note that the Delorme data also contained a 1300 mile trail (not track) route of the USA Continental Divide trail that I had created southward from the Canadian border, just for desktop experience. I am not going anywhere like that.

Well, I can confirm that this is not likely the problem. You can specify a routing activity for a route (or even by segment) in Basecamp, but on the GPS (Oregon 600), the routing activity selected in the active profile takes precedence.

I think the most likely problem occurring for the original poster has been stated by Kunarion - that his profiles are using a routing activity other than Direct, and his maps don't support routing, therefore the error message appears that the GPS can't route properly.

Well, I can confirm that this is not likely the problem. You can specify a routing activity for a route (or even by segment) in Basecamp, but on the GPS (Oregon 600), the routing activity selected in the active profile takes precedence.

I think the most likely problem occurring for the original poster has been stated by Kunarion - that his profiles are using a routing activity other than Direct, and his maps don't support routing, therefore the error message appears that the GPS can't route properly.

The test I performed surprised me. I removed the SD Card (Garmin City Navigator for North America), loaded the Pockington Route, and got what I think is the same error the OP got -- in the Recreational Profile which has Direct Routing. I'm guessing that the answer to the error is crucial. "No", do not allow it to "recalculate", which is bound to wreak havoc.

But the fact that the error "This route does not match the available maps" showed up at all, is strange. I'm using the Direct routing activity, and there are no maps to recalculate on, so why it asked, I can't figure that out. Yeah, something is rotten in Pockington. :anicute:

Don't believe it's a bad file as it worked fine in my Etrex 20, maybe a bug in the Oregon series? Either way provided Direct activity is selected and, as Kunarion states, you say No to any offer to recalculate it appears to work.

I only got the error once, and it's fine now. So, yes, it's maybe just a bug, some kind of Garmin weirdness. If it pops up again, I'll tell it to "recalculate" on the non-existent maps, and watch it flip out! :anicute:

If the OP can't resolve his issue, and if this is the same error message he's getting, at least I may be able to duplicate it on my GPSr. But I'm crossing my fingers and clicking my ruby slippers together believing it will work now ;) . Maybe with just rare a popup error, but we know how to deal with it.

879f7194-db01-4777-9eeb-a40a1a0b8a5f.jpg

Edited by kunarion

This thread on the Garmin Oregon 650T was intriguing to me because it drew so many speculative responses from those of us who do not even have access to the 650T hardware. This morning I again searched the latest available Garmin 6xx series manuals in pdf format word for word and, again, found no definitive answer to the original issue. IIRC the original post was about creating a simple direct, 26 coordinate pair, point to point route.

- As others have pointed out, the simple downloadable Pocklington hiking route in gpx file format works fine in Direct mode in some other apps and devices.

- As I learned, the late model Nuvi 56 with Trip Planner I have will route Direct to the first point in a route only. Then it switches back to perpendicular "off road" navigation for the remaining 25 or so points. The worldwide base map included in my US/Canada detail mapped Nuvi was sufficient to display this behavior on base maps of England, once I figured it out. The first point of direct multi-point route navigation may be a continent or island away and cross oceans, but the road (off road)routing will pick up properly on the second route point. This design is obviously purposeful, as the text (and text to speech audio?) Directions wording is slightly different when "off-road" is selected.

- My 5 year old, barely used, Nuvi 255w, however, turns out to be capable of creating a multi-point direct point to point route, even if it may not be capable of easily saving that route when powered off.

- As would my Delorme PN-40 and PN-60 gps devices, but with total points trimmed to 25 maximum, if recalculated on the device.

-Wikipedia disabled certain FREE user maintained Oregon gps forum URLs, effective a year and three days ago.

- :rolleyes: