Name and shame?

LunnLooking

I'd be curious about how many of those "took it to" folks, especially the ones kidnapping trackables for months/years on end, actually still have them in their possession anymore.

- Not a well-planned idea on making trackables move easier, really.

The thought of someone lugging a bag fulla stuffed toys and things, merrily visiting with their captured trackables new-found friends on their journeys seems almost comical to me.

Edited for spllelliing

Edited by cerberus1

What are the thoughts on naming and shaming a cacher who is refusing to drop a tb?

I've mailed 3 times to drop in the next appropriate cache but has not answered and continues to dip.

Do I name and shame or just wait for the waste of space drop it

On your TB page, have you clearly specified your expectation that the TB is to be moved and placed into another cache, not to be kept nor carried around?

If not, shame on you. :anibad:

I wouldn't mind at all if some of the dips included what is the goal (to be photographed at waterfalls) but this unnamed permanently depriving me of my property <insulting language removed by moderator> has dipped at waterfalls and not bothered taking a pic.

If I was a less than honest person I probably would have visited his own cache and gone dipping with it.

Edited by Eartha
foul language
What does it say about theft?

Doubt that Groundspeak wants to get into the trackable recovery business.

One of the issues with trackables today is they turn up missing. A lot.

A simple search here (or google it) would show that. Caveat emptor.

There's plenty of answers on missing in the help center, but I never found anything dealing with theft (kinda like closing your eyes, cupping your hand to ears, yelling, "blah, blah, blah...").

- But it's kinda common sense too, that if you release something somewhere, and it's no longer under your control, it may turn up missing.

I wouldn't mind at all if some of the dips included what is the goal (to be photographed at waterfalls)

Yes! If the Taker is allegedly doing you a favor by making "Visits", he's overlooked the part about "doing you a favor" :rolleyes:. People who carry TBs endlessly are not at all doing one a favor. Yet robotic Visits are a cherished tradition, especially here in the Forums. This is one of the Topics where sensibility is allowed to be drowned out by the mob. Look at thread after thread full of posts about how "it proves the TB is alive and well", although there's no such proof without... you know... any proof. B)

The Groundspeak info, and even info imprinted on Trackables, says "This travels cache-to-cache". Except that it also says "Do Not Keep Me", it doesn't clarify that "cache-to-cache" does not mean Keep Me. That's why you must at least try to clear up the misconception, by typing something on the TB page.

One thing you can do (I don't highly recommend this, but hey, you can do it) is to mark it Missing. If the guy actually has it in his possession, he can log it again. If he lost it a long time ago, the logs should cease.

You will find threads around here that if you say anything, the Taker will "trash it". This should be instructive. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

One thing you can do is to mark it Missing. If the guy actually has it in his possession, he can log it again. If he lost it a long time ago, the logs should cease.

Why do you assume you can't log a lost TB. Ever since I keep a "MyTrackables" database in GSAK (December 5th 2008) I have trackingnumbers of TBs logged. Of 1000 logged trackables I have 932 where I still have the codes.

One thing you can do is to mark it Missing. If the guy actually has it in his possession, he can log it again. If he lost it a long time ago, the logs should cease.

Why do you assume you can't log a lost TB. Ever since I keep a "MyTrackables" database in GSAK (December 5th 2008) I have trackingnumbers of TBs logged. Of 1000 logged trackables I have 932 where I still have the codes.

At least he has to go Grab it. Maybe that will turn on a leetle light bulb. "Huh, the owner is trying to say something, I wonder what it could be..."

If the TB is lost, what's the value of forevermore logging the "Visits"? From now on, at least we've made one breakthrough: Nobody can say "he's doing me a favor", ever again, in these threads about robot Visits. Because it's patently false. Yet the taker with only the tracking code still could post photos of waterfalls (albeit with the TB oddly never in the frame :anicute:).

If he just clicks "log all" on a Found Log, or has "log all" set in some rogue App, not the tag nor its code, marking it Missing could work. I don't recommend this, but it's a plan. Some Takers are stark raving mad, just waiting to get a rise out of a TO, but that's not really a Geocaching thing. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

What are the thoughts on naming and shaming a cacher who is refusing to drop a tb?

I've mailed 3 times to drop in the next appropriate cache but has not answered and continues to dip.

Do I name and shame or just wait for the waste of space drop it

On your TB page, have you clearly specified your expectation that the TB is to be moved and placed into another cache, not to be kept nor carried around?

And you think that would help???? Not hardly.

And you think that would help???? Not hardly.

"Name and Shame" certainly won't help.

But let's get the word out that "TB's Travel From Cache-To-Cache" is not a statement that each cacher is to keep and carry a mass of TBs around. Start with your TB page. Yes, I think that will help, as I've explained already. It might not help in cases where Takers demand to do as they wish with other's property. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Wait, from the TB page: "(Photocopy used as my 3yr old doesn't want to lose the original)"

Sounds to me like it's only a photocopy proxy of your geocoin. :unsure:

Very likely the holder has lost the photocopy proxy and it still shows up in their inventory. I would just use the grab option or mark it as missing and release another proxy.

Just me, but I never release the real geocoin either. I have about 15 of the real ones missing and have released proxies of their tracking numbers.

Geocoins are for collecting and sharing for others to discover, not to toss in a geocache to dissappear.

As for the name and shame, better not do that or you will get in trouble. B)

Wait, from the TB page: "(Photocopy used as my 3yr old doesn't want to lose the original)"

Very likely the holder has lost the photocopy proxy and it still shows up in their inventory. I would just use the grab option or mark it as missing and release another proxy.

Just me, but I never release the real geocoin either. I have about 15 of the real ones missing and have released proxies of their tracking numbers.

Geocoins are for collecting and sharing for others to discover, not to toss in a geocache to dissappear.

Good hit, MPH. Sorry, I shoulda checked.

- And I agree, a photocopy of a coin may have been misplaced long ago.

We find them once in a while on the bottom of containers, among the business cards and other paper carp.

Theft of a piece of paper...

Good hit, MPH. Sorry, I shoulda checked.

- And I agree, a photocopy of a coin may have been misplaced long ago.

We find them once in a while on the bottom of containers, among the business cards and other paper carp.

Theft of a piece of paper...

Unbelievable isn't it? :blink: I would be ashamed. :anicute:

It's the little toy it's attached to that I'm concerned about. :(

I'll just wait and see what happens after I grab it.

Thanks all.

I think it's quite common for those laminated photocopy proxies to end up in the trash. I remember how dissappointed I was when I found my first one. I though it was awful. I guess that is the reasoning behind why I but replacement proxies to release in place of my geocoins. Some of the better trackable coins that I collect come with a AL proxie for releasing. It's just a thought, so you may want to check into them. I think they help and still add the thrill of finding a "real" trackable and not just a photocopy. :)

I wouldn't mind at all if some of the dips included what is the goal (to be photographed at waterfalls)

Yes! If the Taker is allegedly doing you a favor by making "Visits", he's overlooked the part about "doing you a favor" :rolleyes:. People who carry TBs endlessly are not at all doing one a favor. Yet robotic Visits are a cherished tradition, especially here in the Forums. This is one of the Topics where sensibility is allowed to be drowned out by the mob. Look at thread after thread full of posts about how "it proves the TB is alive and well", although there's no such proof without... you know... any proof. B)

The Groundspeak info, and even info imprinted on Trackables, says "This travels cache-to-cache". Except that it also says "Do Not Keep Me", it doesn't clarify that "cache-to-cache" does not mean Keep Me. That's why you must at least try to clear up the misconception, by typing something on the TB page.

One thing you can do (I don't highly recommend this, but hey, you can do it) is to mark it Missing. If the guy actually has it in his possession, he can log it again. If he lost it a long time ago, the logs should cease.

You will find threads around here that if you say anything, the Taker will "trash it". This should be instructive. :ph34r:

Conversely, There's no proof that a cacher actually drops a travel bug in a cache either. I do agree that 20 or 30 "visit" logs can become annoying but 6 or 7 doesn't bother me at all. Good point about making the TB missing. Not going to bother re-logging it if they don't have it.

Hi LL ...

I've just started releasing some new TB's I bought and I have quite a few more on order. So far I have only put 2 out there, both originals, but its scarey to see this sort of thing happening so much. Strangely, the very first TB I got (TP3 coin) from your cache has kinda gone the same way as your's ... Much two way dialog seemed to work, but never did the coffee meets come to fruition ... in the end I gave up trying to get it moving by feigning lack of interest and magically it was on it's way ... only getting dipped here and there, but at least it's clocking up some mileage. I'm about to release a proxy for a TB that has been missing for 4 years and the previous owner had lost interest in it, I hope it fares a little better. I hope you manage to locate your missing TB's, but you can always take comfort in knowing that you can re-release a proxy if need be.

Take care.

Ron.

Having read this topic, I'm off to edit my TB's pages to make it clear I want them moving from cache to cahe and not being endlessly dipped by one cacher.

Edited by Auld Pharrrt

I wish there was an option that visiting could be turned off.

Visiting has it's merits. I use it on my own TBs (car and backpack)tracking my cache to cache progress. If I have TBs that want to travel locally (or within Europe) and I can't drop them before going on holiday I will let them visit one or more selected caches until we get back so the owner knows they are still traveling and adding some extra distance to their profile.

I agree that visiting all caches is bad practice but if used wisely it can be a good thing to do. As always, moderation is key.

I kinda disagree ... I usually take all TB's with me where-ever I go and I dip them into all the caches I visit, but I don't keep people's treasured possessions for more than a few days if possible, though real life does sometimes prevent me from dropping into a new cache for the next person to find.

When I first joined the game as a newbie, I had a road trip planned with my daughter from our home in Perthshire to John O'Groats and back via the west coast of Scotland. I deliberately went out looking for TB's to take with us and as a result I held onto a few for anything up to three or four weeks, but every time I logged one as found, I mentioned that I was deliberately collecting as many as I could to take with me ... one owner even messaged me and asked me to pick his up to take with me, which I did, (it had only travelled 7 miles since release, by the time I dropped it, it had clocked up an extra 650 miles) and I finally dropped it in a cache called the road to Applecross.

One of the geocoins I found was owned by an elderly person (it was an anniversary or birthday coin) who had released it over 5 years ago but wanted it to travel back to Cornwall ... When I read it's webpage, I sent the owner a message asking if he wanted me to post it by snail mail to his home. He was extremely grateful as both he and his partner had physical problems and could no longer go caching, therefore if it got to Cornwall, they wouldn't be able to go fetch it anyway.

There's good and bad to every walk of life ... I try to be one of the goodies and will help anyone in anyway I can, within reason. I don't mind if my TB's get dipped in and out of a few caches by the finder, but I do object a bit when (as is the case at the moment) one cacher (non-premium) has my coin and has now had it for just over 6 weeks (at time of writing.) I've tried offering to meet her for a coffee several times and she agrees, but when it gets to the arranging time and place, she doesn't respond. She offered to pop it in the snail mail and I sent her an address but it never appeared. She even came caching within 1 mile of my home and claimed she drove down my street, but still I can't get the coin out of her hands, last time I mentioned that it wasn't clocking up any mileage and feigned a loss of interest in it by asking her to drop just it anywhere she wanted, which she agreed to, then suddenly it started going visiting lots of caches.

I've given up contacting her in the hope that she gets fed up taunting me and drops it somewhere. Though I have noticed that she has held onto a few other people's TB's for a long time then suddenly posts a log saying she dropped in this or that cache several weeks ago ... I suspect owners have moaned at her and she claims do have done so ... Never thought to see if the tb moved on from where she said she dropped it, until now.

My personal theory is that when she finds a TB she keeps it, maybe hoping that if the TBO has lost interest or forgotten about it then ... well I'm not one to make unproven accusations, but a lot of people do like to collect TB's, especially Geocoins.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

Edited by Auld Pharrrt

My gripe is my very first TB. Dropped in one of my first hides by myself, naturally. The comment by the person who picked it up was "I do not do much travelling, but I will pick it up any way." The main object of the TB was to travel as far as it could! The TB has been in that persons possession since, not visited or travelled any where. Why take it?

So the question is, do I give that person a nudge or mark the TB as missing and permit the person to keep it?

I had put a lot of thought into the TB's name and mission and am somewhat annoyed that my first TB is probably entertaining somebodies offspring.

The cost of business (playing the trackable game) is that at least some of your trackables are probably going to disappear. My first one did (noted by a cacher and later confirmed by cache owner) but it reappeared several months later in the same cache. Later it disappeared the day before I went to pick it up from it's location to try and take it somewhere to move where I wanted it to move to. Seems the rest area did maintenance on the trees and that was the end of it. My second one hasn't shown up since being picked up by the second person to retrieve it. After 5 months I messaged him and there has been no response. In a while I will mark that one missing as well. That's a 100% failure rate but others have had much better luck.

What I am doing is looking for something I can use as a substitute and will reuse the numbers and re-release them. Saves the expense of buying more. These were about $8 with shipping IIRC.

What I am not doing is obsessing over having a couple of trinkets with little value disappear. It's a minor annoyance at best. A serious problem was the idiot who decided to cover up his theft of my son's TV by burning the house down. Keep things in perspective.

Visiting has it's merits. I use it on my own TBs (car and backpack)tracking my cache to cache progress. If I have TBs that want to travel locally (or within Europe) and I can't drop them before going on holiday I will let them visit one or more selected caches until we get back so the owner knows they are still traveling and adding some extra distance to their profile.

I agree that visiting all caches is bad practice but if used wisely it can be a good thing to do. As always, moderation is key.

I agree. The habitual "visitor" can get pretty old but the visit option has its merit (when used in moderation). I released a TB for a little girl in our town who was very sick. After 3 years it returned to a cache where I could pick it up again. I wanted it to visit all of the caches I own. I know, a little corny but it was important to me. I notice that a cacher will visit lets say 10 caches all within a mile or so. If the cacher would simply "visit" one of those caches instead of all 10 I'd get credit for most of the miles without the 10 "visited" logs.

My gripe is my very first TB. Dropped in one of my first hides by myself, naturally. The comment by the person who picked it up was "I do not do much travelling, but I will pick it up any way." The main object of the TB was to travel as far as it could! The TB has been in that persons possession since, not visited or travelled any where. Why take it?

So the question is, do I give that person a nudge or mark the TB as missing and permit the person to keep it?

I had put a lot of thought into the TB's name and mission and am somewhat annoyed that my first TB is probably entertaining somebodies offspring.

Jave you sent the person an email telling tj of the goal of Your bug? They may beloeve it was a prize for finding the cache.

Looks like the "Dipper" has just decided to keep my trackable and refuses to answer my mails now.

The "Nice" me wants to just smile and get on with it, maybe sending out a copy (Of the copy), the "Not Nice" me wants to go to their cache and spread it around the field and laugh in his face about it.

I think the "Nice" me will win this time.

I kinda disagree ... I usually take all TB's with me where-ever I go and I dip them into all the caches I visit, but I don't keep people's treasured possessions for more than a few days if possible, though real life does sometimes prevent me from dropping into a new cache for the next person to find.

When I first joined the game as a newbie, I had a road trip planned with my daughter from our home in Perthshire to John O'Groats and back via the west coast of Scotland. I deliberately went out looking for TB's to take with us and as a result I held onto a few for anything up to three or four weeks, but every time I logged one as found, I mentioned that I was deliberately collecting as many as I could to take with me ... one owner even messaged me and asked me to pick his up to take with me, which I did, (it had only travelled 7 miles since release, by the time I dropped it, it had clocked up an extra 650 miles) and I finally dropped it in a cache called the road to Applecross.

One of the geocoins I found was owned by an elderly person (it was an anniversary or birthday coin) who had released it over 5 years ago but wanted it to travel back to Cornwall ... When I read it's webpage, I sent the owner a message asking if he wanted me to post it by snail mail to his home. He was extremely grateful as both he and his partner had physical problems and could no longer go caching, therefore if it got to Cornwall, they wouldn't be able to go fetch it anyway.

There's good and bad to every walk of life ... I try to be one of the goodies and will help anyone in anyway I can, within reason. I don't mind if my TB's get dipped in and out of a few caches by the finder, but I do object a bit when (as is the case at the moment) one cacher (non-premium) has my coin and has now had it for just over 6 weeks (at time of writing.) I've tried offering to meet her for a coffee several times and she agrees, but when it gets to the arranging time and place, she doesn't respond. She offered to pop it in the snail mail and I sent her an address but it never appeared. She even came caching within 1 mile of my home and claimed she drove down my street, but still I can't get the coin out of her hands, last time I mentioned that it wasn't clocking up any mileage and feigned a loss of interest in it by asking her to drop just it anywhere she wanted, which she agreed to, then suddenly it started going visiting lots of caches.

I've given up contacting her in the hope that she gets fed up taunting me and drops it somewhere. Though I have noticed that she has held onto a few other people's TB's for a long time then suddenly posts a log saying she dropped in this or that cache several weeks ago ... I suspect owners have moaned at her and she claims do have done so ... Never thought to see if the tb moved on from where she said she dropped it, until now.

My personal theory is that when she finds a TB she keeps it, maybe hoping that if the TBO has lost interest or forgotten about it then ... well I'm not one to make unproven accusations, but a lot of people do like to collect TB's, especially Geocoins.

Looks like the "Dipper" has just decided to keep my trackable and refuses to answer my mails now.

The "Nice" me wants to just smile and get on with it, maybe sending out a copy (Of the copy), the "Not Nice" me wants to go to their cache and spread it around the field and laugh in his face about it.

I think the "Nice" me will win this time.

I know that feeling well ... My kidnapper claimed to have recently dropped 4 TB's in a multi-cache bonus box and I went looking for it as 1 of the TB's was her own ... needless to say, I had to visit 6 feeder boxes to get the co-ords for the final and I found her signature in only 2 of them ... I knew I was gonna find a box with no TB's in it (I've long suspected that she "finds" caches without leaving her couch) ... I was rewarded in the end by finding the bonus box with NONE of the 4 TB's she alledgedly dropped there ... so I let the owners all know ... including her! I'm hoping this will embarrass her into dropping my TP3 coin (the one I got from your cache at Cargill's Leap) ... I doubt it very much tho.

Part of the problem is we can't even grab them virtually from these people and prevent them from dipping it anywhere 'coz they just grab it back.

Summerwinter, please forgive my presumptuousness ... to use this multi-quote feature do this:-

1 Click on MULTIQUOTE

2 Click on REPLY

3 Start typing in the box preferably at the bottom of the pasted in multiquote text..

:)

Edited by Auld Pharrrt

Just my two cents:

Keep in mind, trackable owners: if someone does not care about what he does with carried trackables - he really does not. Writing such a person in an insulting or rude way may end in your trackable being throwed to a dust bin and with a fake log about putting it to a random geocache.

Just my two cents:

Keep in mind, trackable owners: if someone does not care about what he does with carried trackables - he really does not. Writing such a person in an insulting or rude way may end in your trackable being throwed to a dust bin and with a fake log about putting it to a random geocache.

Yes, I accept that the chances are I'll never see it on the road again, but if I can at least see it logged as out of their hands then I can (eventually) release a proxy to revive the opportunity for the coin to travel and see the world.

In the end I simply deleted all the visit logs and marked the coin as missing, edited the title page to include kidnapped and, so far, there's been nbothing else logged on it. In about a year's time I'll release a proxy version if the real thing hasn't re-surfaced before then.

Edited by Auld Pharrrt
I simply deleted all the visit logs and marked the coin as missing, edited the title page to include kidnapped and, so far, there's been nbothing else logged on it. In about a year's time I'll release a proxy version if the real thing hasn't re-surfaced before then.

I haven't deleted logs on mine, but I usually wait about a year before reviving a TB. If it's shown in the hands of a cacher (or if it's listed in a cache with no info about whether the item is in there), I don't officially Mark It Missing til I'm ready to revive the new one. But I have added [MISSING] to the end of a TB name or two, with the idea that the appendage appears in any Inventory list. What you did, adding the word "Kidnapped", I would have assumed that's a term from a book or something, that it's the actual name of the coin. Since you've already marked it Missing, it won't show in an Inventory at all. And if the holder gets a wild hair to place and log the coin, there's an additional hurdle now that it's marked Missing; it must first be Grabbed, then Dropped.

Grounspeak for some weird reason says to place a TB "within two weeks". Cachers have this official info that they are to hold it for "Two Weeks", which means of course that can keep it for another two weeks. And another. Actually, as long as they like, as far as we know. Therefore, nobody can tell them otherwise. So everyone hangs on to the TBs until TBs are lost. One of many things the company does on purpose that gets TBs gone. Thanks a heap, Groundspeak! :blink:

It would have been great to read "Before you take any item from a cache, be sure to do it fairly and properly. Trade for Swag "Up or Even" or do not take any. TBs are not Swag and therefore never require a "trade", but do not take any unless you know you will properly log it and place it into a cache promptly, and if there is any issue, type a Note log on the TB page. When you take it, you log it and provide appropriate updates, no exceptions. Absolutely never make a TB Owner guess what your intention is, or what happened to the TB." Make it clear that there is NO TWO-WEEK WAITING PERIOD, for example. But that ship has sailed.

Anyway, marking a coin "Missing" after 6o days, was way too soon.

Edited by kunarion
I simply deleted all the visit logs and marked the coin as missing, edited the title page to include kidnapped and, so far, there's been nbothing else logged on it. In about a year's time I'll release a proxy version if the real thing hasn't re-surfaced before then.

I haven't deleted logs on mine, but I usually wait about a year before reviving a TB. If it's shown in the hands of a cacher (or if it's listed in a cache with no info about whether the item is in there), I don't officially Mark It Missing til I'm ready to revive the new one. But I have added [MISSING] to the end of a TB name or two, with the idea that the appendage appears in any Inventory list. What you did, adding the word "Kidnapped", I would have assumed that's a term from a book or something, that it's the actual name of the coin. Since you've already marked it Missing, it won't show in an Inventory at all. And if the holder gets a wild hair to place and log the coin, there's an additional hurdle now that it's marked Missing; it must first be Grabbed, then Dropped.

Grounspeak for some weird reason says to place a TB "within two weeks". Cachers have this official info that they are to hold it for "Two Weeks", which means of course that can keep it for another two weeks. And another. Actually, as long as they like, as far as we know. Therefore, nobody can tell them otherwise. So everyone hangs on to the TBs until TBs are lost. One of many things the company does on purpose that gets TBs gone. Thanks a heap, Groundspeak! :blink:

It would have been great to read "Before you take any item from a cache, be sure to do it fairly and properly. Trade for Swag "Up or Even" or do not take any. TBs are not Swag and therefore never require a "trade", but do not take any unless you know you will properly log it and place it into a cache promptly, and if there is any issue, type a Note log on the TB page. When you take it, you log it and provide appropriate updates, no exceptions. Absolutely never make a TB Owner guess what your intention is, or what happened to the TB." Make it clear that there is NO TWO-WEEK WAITING PERIOD, for example. But that ship has sailed.

Anyway, marking a coin "Missing" after 6o days, was way too soon.

Yes, I agree that two months wouldn't normally be enough time, but ... och, it's a loooong story and not worth going into it all again, but I have tried a variety of ways to get this coin on the move, including offering to meet the woman in a place of her choice for coffee etc. (bearing in mind it was my first ever TB and geocoin) she even offered to post it to me by snail mail, but it never appeared despite me giving her my address, although she did claim that she drove by my house one afternoon and, to be honest, after several promises to release it "the next time I'm out caching" it never has happened. I have resigned myself to the fact it's a goner. Hence the mark-up as "missing" and "kidnapped," this way I won't have to keep deleting visit logs unless she grabs it from me again.

Yes, I agree that two months wouldn't normally be enough time, but ... och, it's a loooong story and not worth going into it all again, but I have tried a variety of ways to get this coin on the move, including offering to meet the woman in a place of her choice for coffee etc. (bearing in mind it was my first ever TB and geocoin) she even offered to post it to me by snail mail, but it never appeared despite me giving her my address, although she did claim that she drove by my house one afternoon and, to be honest, after several promises to release it "the next time I'm out caching" it never has happened. I have resigned myself to the fact it's a goner. Hence the mark-up as "missing" and "kidnapped," this way I won't have to keep deleting visit logs unless she grabs it from me again.

Cool, I've never had someone offer to drive over and bring one of my TBs to my house. :anicute: