Please. Please. Please.

W8TTS

Would you please start requiring a verified email address for even non-Premium members. There are so many new cachers that you can't contact to help them properly do thing. For example, I've had a number of new caches log finds on Earthcaches and never answer the questions. You try to contact them through the messaging system and never hear back, and that's probably because they don't know about it or how to use it. Then you delete their Found log, they re-log the Find, you delete it again, and so on. It gets frustrating for the cache owner. Frustrating to the point of seriously thinking about Archiving the caches, or making them all your caches "Premium Only".

So, please require a verified email address for everyone. And, yes I know it's easy to get a "throw away" email address.

Thank you.

Funny, I thought the message center was created to help contact those unvalidated members with "never" listed for when they last logged into the site.

- Sorry to see that (for you) that's not working out so well.

FWIW, I've probably had fewer than half respond (when asking about a multi stage, or puzzle help), from long-time, validated, premium members.

Odd you'd consider making hides pmo as a last resort...

There's nothing bad about it, just fewer folks accessing 'em. :)

Funny, I thought the message center was created to help contact those unvalidated members with "never" listed for when they last logged into the site.

That's what it's for, to create a record of the message and the reply, without the numerous problems using "PM" and email. If we really must use email, everyone signs up using an email address, "validated" or not. Let GS handle it.

If an Earthcache CO contacts a finder and receives no reply in the Message Center, the CO should contact Groundspeak, to have the inadequate logs cease. Groundspeak should start requiring this to happen. Please. Please. Please. ;)

Edited by kunarion

First, Lets just verify the email address. It proves that there is a possibility that it's a real person.

Second, the Messaging System wasn't needed. There's nothing wrong with e-mails. Emails give you an easily searchable format, you can keep them in threads, and in separate folders. Having to bounce between emails and the messaging system is counter productive. Plus, you don't have to log into gc.com to do anything with them.

I guess maybe it's time to make everything a Premium Members cache. :-(

I guess maybe it's time to make everything a Premium Members cache. :-(

Yeah, we know that there's never any issues with premium members... :rolleyes:

Yeah. But, at least the PM's are paying for the privilege of being a pain.

Curious why the frownie afterwards, almost half of yours are already pmo.

- Why would changing the remaining to pmo be a sad thing?

Yeah. It should have been a smile. I recently changed a lot of mine after a lot of problems with newbies.