Download caches from Android app to GPS

Sharon the Cat

I have just been given given a Garmon eTrex 10. Is it possible to transfer caches from the Android app to the GPS? I have the cable for my phone that I can plug the GPS USB cable into.

Reason for asking is we are off to France in a few weeks but never know where we're going until we get there.

You can't transfer GPX files that way. But assuming then that you have data service, you may use the App to find caches.

If you signed up as a Premium Member, you could load whole townsfuls of caches using Pocket Queries.

The minimum you'll need is an "OTG cable" (which I guess you have), and a file manager App. Using a web browser on the phone, log into Geocaching.com, save a GPX file, copy the GPX file to the Garmin Etrex. You'll need to have a File Manager App ("Astro", for example), and be familiar with how it works. The whole process can be kinda tedious. :anicute:

You should test that OTG cable right now, plug it in. Does the Etrex power up, ready to load files? If your phone has a warning that the device is using too much power, you need a special powered USB cable, and a way to power it on the go.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks kunarion. I don't know why I didn't think of that. The eTrex 10 has already gone back to the shop as the background map is next to useless. May look at an eTrex 20 and try the download.

That will be another challenge -- downloading the appropriate maps in advance for the places unknown that you'll visit. B)

When traveling, most pocket queries are too broad for me since I am interested in specific locations rather than to look for every cache in sight. So I rely on apps that work with the "geocaching live" API (Groundspeak's interface) that allow more specific searches. GCDroid is one. I use wifi to avoid roaming charges unless we have an unlocked phone and can purchase a local SIM card.

As a regular member the API allows you to get basic cache information (without the description, hints, or past logs) for up to 6000 caches a day - or three caches a day with full information. As a premium member you can get the full cache data. In any event, several caching apps allow you to export search results so that you can transfer them to your gpsr (garmin/gpx folder) - although I do not think that the Groundspeak app supports this.

I may use a small android tablet on our upcoming trip to Ireland since I have GCDroid linked to the free offline Here maps for voice routing when driving and it also has good offline mapping for a general overview. If you use wifi and save caches for offline use, a caching app may be all you need when traveling. I am bringing my garmin because we expect rain and it offers better protection than my phone for some of the places we want to visit.

I have not tried to transfer caches to my gpsr with an OTG cable because it is just as easy to use the same MobileLite wifi router that I already have for my Apple devices - but make sure you are using an OTG cable and not a standard USB one.

Edited by geodarts

Thanks kunarion. I don't know why I didn't think of that. The eTrex 10 has already gone back to the shop as the background map is next to useless. May look at an eTrex 20 and try the download.

The Basemap is next to useless!

Garmin-wise, for the UK take a look at talkytoaster's maps (Free) http://talkytoaster.co.uk/

Open Street Maps can also do other countries for the Garmin.

The Basemap is next to useless!

Garmin-wise, for the UK take a look at talkytoaster's maps (Free) http://talkytoaster.co.uk/

Open Street Maps can also do other countries for the Garmin.

I use the OSM maps at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I use GDAK on my Android tablet and have (among others) all Belgian caches in a database (up-to-date from GSAK). From GDAK I can export 1 or more caches to my Oregon600 when it's connected to the tablet via USB.

I don't use this method often but it has happened that I forgot to load a certain cache to the GPS before leaving home and then it's nice being able to upload "in the field".

As for loading caches for holidays, I keep a GSAK database of the area(s) we will travel too and load all of the caches as GGZ file onto the Oregon (don't know if the Extres supports this fileformat) GGZ files allow loading thousands of caches in 1 go. I've had all 28000+ Danish caches loaded when on holiday in Denmark 2 years ago.

As for maps. OSM is more than enough to use for caching. If your GPS has enough free memory you might add Open Cycle maps too.

Afraid I'm at a loss with most of the abbreviations here. GDAK GSAK?

GDAK: Free Android geocaching app designed for offline (no data) but works onloine too (uses API for logging/getting/updating caches

GSAK; database software for Windows. To keep caches on your computer so you can filter/select export to GPS and more.

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). We use it a lot in conjunction with our Etrex 20s. You would need to be a Premium Member to be able do PQs (Pocket Queries). Before we visit the UK (and other countries), we make PQs for all the cities or places we're likely to visit and load them into GSAK which we have set up on a Windows tablet. We can update GSAK when we are in a WIFI area, hotel, cafe, airport etc. The Etrex 20's can also hold several thousand caches and they can be kept up to date from GSAK. Logging can also be done via GSAK but we haven't figured out how yet. We use field notes on the Etrex then log directly to GC using the tablet and WiFi. GSAK has a steep learning curve but it's worthwhile once you get the hang of it.

Logging can also be done via GSAK but we haven't figured out how yet.

In short: Connect GPS to PC. In GSAK menu "geocaching.com" chose "Publish logs" > window opens > chose "fetch > chose "from GPSr". You will the see a list of your found caches.

Double click the first one (or click "edit") > log window opens.... type log > click "next" > type log ...... When all are done click "publish logs" >> DONE You can also use templates so you can re-use text and/or insert stuff (found date, time, CO name, found#....)

This off topic off course.