Sad and pathetic

Mustcache

In the recent past I have had an increase of reported discoveries of trackables that have been in my own possession.

It's pretty pathetic that people are so incensed on increasing numbers like this. I delete every one of these logs, but wish GS would create a tool to put a stop to it. What has this hobby become?

:huh: :huh:

There is nothing that can be done. We code? People will take a picture of it and pass the picture around. Only log it at the cords of the cache it's in? You need a smartphone, and the location can be faked. And what about people without a smartphone, in area with no cell coverage, or trackables that haven't been logged onto the cache? It just won't work, but if you think of something on sure they'll be happy to hear your idea.

I'll get the occasional fake found/discover log. When I do, it gets deleted toot-sweet. I even had one faker demand that I leave his logs on, cuz "the numbers were on a list I have a copy of."---his words.

I do not allow virtual discoveries. Since over 95% of my coins are in my house, it's pretty easy to monitor. For someone to discover them, I will hand them a list of numbers when they agree to destroy said list after they're done. And, to make it easier on me, that list only goes to friends who get invited to my home bar.

When I first started caching, I came across this phenomenon of virtual discoveries ... yes, I succumbed to the temptation and googled TB's ... I logged about a dozen but realised there was no sense of achievement from this and gave up on the idea ... each and every one I logged was logged with a message similar to "Kinda cheating a bit but ..."

I don't do it now, but it wouldn't bother me if someone virtually discovered any of TB's. I guess its all just a matter of opinion, and we are all entitled to our own opinions, even if I don't agree with your's, I'd respect and defend your right to hold that opinion.

So here's a question:

One of the basic tenets of this hobby is the concept of "You play your way and I'll play mine". I buy into this completely.

But, part of how I play is putting out TB's (I have three or four) and seeing where they go and whether people follow their stated mission. I like seeing what happens to them and how many people's hands they go through. One of my bugs has MANY THOUSANDS of miles on it because it's been brought to truly far-off lands. The end of the mission is a request for it to come home, and if it ever does I'll own it proudly because of its travels.

So, is it an impingement on "how I play" for someone to fake-log it, even if the logs are locationless, as with 'Discovery' logs?

I kinda think it is. With some aspects of the game, I think people should bow to the wishes and "How-to-Play" attitude of the TB or Cache Owner.

(sigh) But no, I fear people aren't that polite or considerate.

One of the basic tenets of this hobby is the concept of "You play your way and I'll play mine". I buy into this completely.

So, is it an impingement on "how I play" for someone to fake-log it, even if the logs are locationless, as with 'Discovery' logs?

They can play however they want, but we can still judge them if they lie. And you are free to delete their logs if you don't think they saw your TB.

They can play however they want, but we can still judge them if they lie. And you are free to delete their logs if you don't think they saw your TB.

I agree with you 100%.

And that means that I'm NOT letting them play as they like.

-----------------

Of course, you can prevent people from logging a TB if it's in your possession. Only open it up for someone to whom you gave the code.

I agree with you 100%.

And that means that I'm NOT letting them play as they like.

I disagree. They're free to play however they want. I'm not going to stop them. But I'm also not going to let them stop me from having an opinion of them.

Amazon has some interesting Machine Learning systems that they are using to find fake reviews. I wonder if a similar set up could be used here. Frankly, if the GS guys write anything in C#, they could NuGet the accord.net library and do most of it without Amazon, but someone would have to identify the fake logs to help train the system. Hmmm.