Is there a NJ Geocaching group?

Rygel

I've noticed that some states have organized groups with meetings and such.

Is there any such group in NJ?

The great question...which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?" --Freud

Yeah, I'm new. Don't let my registered date fool you. I registered a long time ago and got on the email list.

I just got my first GPS and I'm learning the ropes.

The great question...which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?" --Freud

Since it was asked . . .

Just what does an organized caching group do? I never quite understood the concept. I think I recall having heard someone say they even had a newsletter in their group.

Just curious,

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Actually there isn't a NJ group. Unlike most other places there's not even a friendly competition here. Just a bunch of people who enjoy caching and a WHOLE bunch that like hiding them. We all pretty much know each other, we've had cache events and we like to meet each other on the trails.

Groups, clubs and the like (in my opinion) aren't necessary at this time. We haven't run into any State or local government trying to stop geocaching.

I can't speak for the other cachers in the area but that's the way I feel

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

I agree with Harrald. There really is no need for an organized group here. Usually clubs are organized in response to a state agency giving geocachers a hard time, or banning the sport outright. We've been quite lucky in NJ as it seem's we've stayed under the radar screen (knock on wood).

If things change, there could be a need, but right now we're just a group who like to hide and find caches.

If there is a club, here are my nominations:

President - Mr. Magoo (just because of his determination)

Vice-President: Marty621 (anybody who creates caches like his, deserves high office)

Co-Treasurers: Stayfloopy & Bassoonpilot (with all those Where's Georges, they obviously know how to handle money)

Historian: Team GWHO (I love the historic background he adds to his cache pages)

Recording Secretary: Artful Dodger (he sure can design pages)

Corresponding Secretary: Azog (he has some of the most interesting logs)

Sgt At Arms: Harrald (Nobody would dare mess with Harrald).

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

So what goes on at a cache event? Do you all look for a cache individually or in teams?

I think it would be cool to have gatherings, newsletters, and such.

There have been several picnics. Two last year and one the year before that I know of. We'll probably have one this spring as well.

Some of us have also been known to team up to hunt or look for caches.

I don't see the need for a newsletter, as you'll find anything that would appear in a newsletter in this forum, and it's much more timely.

Now if only those grit eaters icon_wink.gif from Virgina and West Virgina would stay the heck out of our forum!

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

Looks like your pretty close to me, Cool!

There *IS* a little get together coming up soon, but it's down toward the Phili area. Probably mostly going to be S.Jersey cachers there (and me), nut everyone is welcome to attend, of course.

More info can be found here.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I'll admit that I am a serial joiner of organizations. So far geocaching has been an obscure hobby, beneath the notice of most of our local authorities. But the National Park has already banned geocaching, and this includes AT corridor, they just aren't enforcing it yet in our area. All it would take is one high publicity incident involving geocachers and all that could change. If say a geocacher fell threw ice and died or fell off a cliff, we could find ourselves demonized as reckless maniacs (who me?). To my mind the main purose for having an organization would be to represent and advocate our interests when the inevitable happens and we incur the enmity of local authorities. Our sport is getting too big to be under the radar screen for long. We could find ourselves outlawed from most public lands if we have not developed any organization to counter any bad publicity. Should we really wait until we are objects of public criticism before organizing? Hikers die all the time, but no one talks of banning hiking, can we be sure the reaction will be the same when the inevitable happens and tradgedy befalls a geocacher? Not if we remain percieved as some sort of obscure cult.

jonboy brings up a good point, however, if dekkenar would kindly join this thread he will tell you what happened last time he tried to form a NY organisation. it might be fair to say that, with the various get to gethers that have been done around here, the mechanism for a local group in ny and or nj is there. it would be nice to have regular picnics or a breakfast now and again, just to meet and greet.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

I'd say IF there were to be an organized group, it should be regional. Perhaps a NY metro area group that covers NYC, LI, Northern NJ and the Hudson Valley south of Albany. The entire state of NY is too big to have a cohesive, organized group and NJ is really two separate states with

north Jersey being a suburb of NYC and south Jersey functioning as a Philly suburb. Heck, I've met people down there who are Phillies and Eagles fans!

I'm surprised. It seems that groups are formed out of a need to protect Geocaching. I was thinking of just a group of like minded folks getting together to discuss, meet one, another and perhaps geocache together.

I have about a bizillion positive reasons for setting up a group and about 2 bizillion problems I've run into trying to setup a group for New York state.

All I can say at this point is...

1) Maybe my company will relocate me to a state that already has a group. (A little foreshadowing for those who know me.)

2) When will the next release of PHP-Nuke be out? (Argggg.)

3) Brogan, do we have a real agenda for our March 8th meeting? (And no, I won't make one.)

7) Exactly what is the difference between a non-profit and a not-for-profit group? (I already found the answer out to this one.)

12) Chat rooms are evil evil evil. (Yet another inside reference, sorry.)

It is nice to see my name mentioned (even if it is misspelled) in a thread. Thanks dboggs!

Seriously if you want to know the pros/cons/pitfalls, you'd have to buy me a few drinks one evening when we have plenty of time. Otherwise the memories are just too hurtful. (I keep them locked up in an ammo box for the time being.)

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

it would be nice to have regular picnics or a breakfast now and again, just to meet and greet.

I would be all for this. Maybe once a month do breakfast Saturday or Sunday morning at an Old Country Buffet sorta place. Maybe make it in a different area each month. Eat a nice meal, BS for an hour or 2, then anyone who wanted could team up to tackle some of the local caches. If you move it around each month, you'll give everyone (except CCCooper, Stayfloopy, and BassoonPilot!) a chance to check out some new caching areas.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

jonboy made some good points. Perhaps a group effort is a good approach if there are problems.

My question comes from the angle of not putting structure to things. I, like most of us I suspect, am involved in many groups, clubs, organziations, etc. All have three things in common:

1. A small core group of the larger group does all the work

2. Membership falls for lack of support from those who aren't doing the work

3. The group caters to the lowest common denominator to attract more members, thus alienating the advanced/dedicated members

Because of the above, I am in the process of stripping myself from membership in as many groups as I can. There are weeks that I have been out every night because of membership.

Geocaching is growing at a tremendous rate. It would be far better for things to not grow. With growth comes structure, attention, etc. I advocate not putting all the eggs in one basket (use multiple databases to log and place caches) so one site does not get so much attention. Doing so obviously is counter to the profit-motive.

I do not know what is ahead for us in NJ. I would hope that we are responsible stewards of the land we use. But with popularity comes a wider spectrum of players. Diversity is great, but it brings the need for the structure to educate. That structure, I fear, will step in the way of what is for me, an entertaining experience that I usually enjoy alone.

Having said that, I think a regualr get-together is a wonderful idea.

Fro.

A backpacking trip was mentioned some time ago - even if I don't know the secret handshake for the NY/NJ club, can I still go?

Just let me know what # of caches found/hidden you need to reach to be considered part of the club? icon_smile.gif

Maybe it should follow Mark Twain's suggestion for a "modest" club? ("The object of this club shall be to eat and talk"). It's a pretty funny recounting and can be found at:

http://www.boondocksnet.com/twaintexts/biography/paine_bio130.html

I think the occasional event caches fills the social need to hook faces to log entries.

I personally don't see a need for any formal organization unless something occurs to force one onto us. Then the organization might have a goal and purpose to its existence.

The forums here are a wealth of information and how many cachers find these? I was geocaching 3 months before I even started reading them. Event caches get noticed by all active geocachers.

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner of Team KKF2A:

It is nice to see my name mentioned (even if it is misspelled) in a thread. Thanks dboggs!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I apologize for the error... hope you make it down to the city again so we can do somemore geocaching.

best regards

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

Too many good pros and cons for this one. God-forbid if it ever comes down to it in the Philly/NJ/NYC area, hopefully we'd be able to put something together to preserve the current nature of Geocaching. As some have pointed out, it's only a matter of time until someone draws negative attention to themselves or the sport. Some of us ran into a similar situation ten years ago in a local grotto ... of course the state(s) solved most of the problems by sealing up all the caves with in a 200 mile radius.

Anyway, enough of that, perhaps what we should work on are more cache events (we're all for hikes and camping trips). Who's up for an outing this weekend at Cheesequake park. The tide aren't in our favor, but the swamps should still be nice a crunchy.

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on February 04, 2003 at 07:33 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I don't see the need for a newsletter, as you'll find anything that would appear in a newsletter in this forum, and it's much more timely.

Yep - I definitely agree.

I've found myself in the "should we form a regional club" conversation a few times, and I always end up with the fact that the Northeast Forums already exist and work pretty damned well. I realize I may be in the minority. That's OK.

- a Pennsylvanian

If there is a group it should be by state or sub groups within a state.

Something has started in NJ but it was formed without a whole lot of information being shared. Whether that was intentional or not, I don't know.

I would like to see a NJ group if only for a social gathering. Other state groups have done this and they seemed to have worked out well.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Well now, folks.......

If people are interested in forming a geocaching presence in

Central New Jersey (which I think Freehold is definitely a part of..),

then an opportunity exists at the end of April.

The annual Outdoor Adventure Expo at Turkey Swamp Park in Freehold is

being held on Sunday, 4/27 from 10am to 4pm. If a group of us

could organize a setup of some sort, we could get a space for a booth

at the expo.

I have a name, number, and email contact info for someone with

Monmouth County Parks. Depending upon not-for-profit status and

the size of the booth needed, the cost appears to be less than $50

to acquire a spot...which could be easily shared by whoever can

organize the booth.

Any interest? I'd be glad to assist in any way that I can if

there's enough interest.

Regards....

intutor

I don't like the idea of having completely separate groups for three regions. Who sets the dividing lines? Will neighboring groups meet to arrange schedules so they don't conflict, in case "border dwellers" want to belong to two groups?

How about if we work on the newly founded group, and see if we can make it work for everyone? We could, I think, divide it into sub-groups to facilitate regional events, etc. There could be a central committee to meet via email and coordinate things.

It doesn't have to be formal, incorporated, with dues, bylaws, and funny hats. Unless that's what any of you folks are looking for...

quote:
Originally posted by Bayberry:

I don't like the idea of having completely separate groups for three regions. Who sets the dividing lines? Will neighboring groups meet to arrange schedules so they don't conflict, in case "border dwellers" want to belong to two groups?

How about if we work on the newly founded group, and see if we can make it work for everyone? We could, I think, divide it into sub-groups to facilitate regional events, etc. There could be a central committee to meet via email and coordinate things.

It doesn't have to be formal, incorporated, with dues, bylaws, and funny hats. Unless that's what any of you folks are looking for...

I agree that NJ really isnt a big enough state to need 2-3 groups. That would only confuse the land managers even more. However, to have a true state-wide group, it needs the input and direction of all the cachers in NJ, not just one or two people, or the people able to attend an event 100+ miles away from 75% of the cachers in NJ.

It all depends on what the purpose of the group is. I was under the impression this group was to be a social group that would have a get-together or two. An organized group to do more than that is something else altogether. If it comes to that, there needs to be a lot of planning and decision making. What is the reason for needing a geocaching association in NJ?

Fro.

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

It all depends on what the purpose of the group is. I was under the impression this group was to be a social group that would have a get-together or two. An organized group to do more than that is something else altogether. If it comes to that, there needs to be a lot of planning and decision making. What is the reason for needing a geocaching association in NJ?

Fro.

Fair enough, but if it is going to be oriented to one certain region of the state, with events in that area, with officers elected from that area (going by Magician's log on the Cape May event, he's looking to elect officers during that event) I think it is a bit pretentious to claim to be a state wide group. I suggest the name be changed to reflect its regional status.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Fair enough, but if it is going to be oriented to one certain region of the state, with events in that area, with officers elected from that area (going by Magician's log on the Cape May event, he's looking to elect officers during that event)

This gets back to the discussion that was had prior to the get-together. There has been no need established for an organized group. It seemed to be everyone's idea that this was a social group. Someone mentioned a country breakfast on a regular basis.

I have no need for an officer-driven, dues-collecting, membership-carrying card organization for geocaching. It sounds like that is where this all leads to.

It sounds like we have gone beyond the get-together idea to designing logos and organizing.

I'll be out caching while the dues are collected. I was out caching while the membership was taken in Roebling/Bordentown. icon_wink.gif

Fro.

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

Having a logo/website doesn't stop it from being a social organization.

In fact it serves that purpose. It gives us a way to present the NJ geocaching community to visitors or to recruit new New Jerseyans to geocaching.

I would like to make one small change to this comment

In fact it serves that purpose. It gives us a way to present the southern NJ geocaching community to visitors or to recruit new southern New Jerseyans to geocaching.

*EDIT*

After thinking about it a bit more I’ve decided to add this comment.

[RANT]

As has been stated in the past I don’t see the need for an organization. If the common consensus is to have an organization then I’m all for it.

What I don’t like is having one shoved down our throats. That’s what seems to have happened here. In early February there was a discussion about a group. By re-reading the thread it seems (at least to me) that there was an overwhelming desire not to form a group. Then one month later one cacher without making mention of any kind decides to form a group and contacts Groundspeak about it. This is what put me off to the idea even more.

[/RANT]

[This message was edited by Harrald on April 13, 2003 at 04:18 PM.]

quote:

Having a logo/website doesn't stop it from being a social organization.

In fact it serves that purpose. It gives us a way to present the NJ geocaching community to visitors or to recruit new New Jerseyans to geocaching.

How will a logo and web site recruit new New Jerseyans to geocaching? Even though the game has expanded greatly over the last two years, most folks will need an introduction to geocaching. I think GC.com does a good job at that. I do not see what a NJ group could do that would be any different from GC.com and these fora.

I am not trying to be difficult, I just do not see a state of disorganization, therefore, see no need for an organization.

As the weather warms, more events will be happening. Events allow the socialization that most seem to seek from an organization. What is gleaned from formalizing it more than that?

Fro.

Not quite sure why you are attacking me in regards to the southern issue. That was not my doing and is my problem with the current situtation.

It appears that some do want and organization. Its your choice not to participating.

Several other states have social organizations. I don't see why there has to be a legal issue or otherwise in order to form an association.

quote:

It appears that some do want and organization. Its your choice not to participating.

True, but then will the NJ organization truly represent the NJ geocaching community if its membership is but a small percentage of that community?

Anything more than socialization causes a group to have a mission. Socialization is satisfied with events.

Fro.

quote:

Not quite sure why you are attacking me in regards to the southern issue. That was not my doing and is my problem with the current situtation.

<<SNIP>>

I apologize that my post looks like an attack on you. It wasn’t meant to. My choice of posts to reply to was poor to say the least.

I’m aware you didn’t start an organization all you did was ask about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

quote:

True, but then will the NJ organization truly represent the NJ geocaching community if its membership is but a small percentage of that community?

Anything more than socialization causes a group to have a mission. Socialization is satisfied with events.

I seem to recall that one of the suggested aims was to be an "official" presence should there ever be a need (to negotiate and /or communicate with State Park officials, etc.) In that capacity, an organized group would represent Geocaching as a whole -- unless you feel that NJ has or should have rules and regs that differ from those of any other Geocachers.

So the number or percentage of NJ cachers who belong would make no difference at all.

I don't understand why people who don't want to be part of a group are even discussing it. Is there some feeling that NJGA would somehow step on anyone's toes? I don't see how it would, but maybe you see something that I don't...?

quote:

I seem to recall that one of the suggested aims was to be an "official" presence should there ever be a need (to negotiate and /or communicate with State Park officials, etc.)

Groups do not become official just by claiming to be. There actually has to be a mandate to become official. In this case, I certainly see no mandate.

The discussion in this forum about the purpose of any group was mainly for socialization. If you scroll up, you can see that. No one has convinced me that a NJ geocaching group is needed to deal with land managers. NJGA, as I understand it, was not created to do that.

quote:
So the number or percentage of NJ cachers who belong would make no difference at all.

Would you be okay with the following?

I create a group called the Official NJ Geocachers Group (ONJGG) and declare that this group represents geocaching in the state of NJ and will head all discussions with land managers.

In addition, ONJGG meets at High Point State Park for its first meeting then for its second meeting it meets in Woodcliff Lake. At the second meeting is where the officers will be voted for life terms (why life terms? Why not? There's no charter, no mission, no nothing but my words.).

I contend that a social group for geocaching does not need to be so formal.

quote:
I don't understand why people who don't want to be part of a group are even discussing it. Is there some feeling that NJGA would somehow step on anyone's toes? I don't see how it would, but maybe you see something that I don't...?

I think perhaps NJGA has the ability to step on toes, but I am not certain that has actually occurred.

As for why discuss it . . .

You (and others undoubtedly) think this group to be an "official" presence should there ever be a need (to negotiate and /or communicate with State Park officials, etc.. If ever we were in that situation, this group would be representing me, whether I am a member or not. I have a stake in what is happening around me.

I do not want to pay dues to voice my opinion. I do not want to carry a membership card to voice my opinion. Yet, I wish my opinion to be heard.

All the best,

Fro.

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin: Groups do not become official just by claiming to be. There actually has to be a mandate to become official.

If you think back, Spanky and the gang were able to form an official 'He-Man Woman-haters club' without a mandate. Alfalfa wasn't happy since he wanted to date Darla, but still joined the club.

I'm not sure this is apropos of anything, the old "our gang" image just materialized and I thought I'd run with it. icon_razz.gif

Nine out of ten people who change their minds are wrong the second time too.

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

If you think back, Spanky and the gang were able to form an official 'He-Man Woman-haters club' without a mandate. Alfalfa wasn't happy since he wanted to date Darla, but still joined the club.

And Al Bundy formed National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood (NOMAAM) . . . but how official were those groups?

icon_wink.gif

Fro.

If there is going to be a group for any reason there needs to be some organization to it.

The one that exists now is poorly organized.

Things are not communicated to people who have expressed an interest.

I don't understand the resistance to the idea. No one here is laying down rules on how this should be done.

People are looking for opinions on how a group could be formed that would suit the majority of people interested.

People who don't want to be included, don;t have to be. I can be a gun owner but don;t need to be a member of the NRA. But I know that the NRA has a more powerful voice then I ever would by myself.

This NJGA should start as a social organization and IF neccessary move to a more offical capacity.

quote:

If there is going to be a group for any reason there needs to be some organization to it.

There also needs to be a reason for a group. As it stands, there appears to be no reason for a NJ geocaching group. If it is socialization, then events more than satisfy that need. If it is to "officially represent" the game to others, I ask, where is the need?

To create a group for the mere enjoyment of having a group seems purposeless to me. I continue to speak on this because whatever group is formed will become the de facto group for the state. If it then decides later it will cease being a socialization-only group and will then spread out to represent geocaching for the masses, the group will have siezed upon that authority without support from those it will affect.

quote:
I don't understand the resistance to the idea.

Which idea? A group? It's not so much resistance as need. For what purpose does a group serve? How will a group serve its members any better than an event?

I spend a lot of my business life working in groups, serving on committees, etc. What is painfully evident is that without a clear plan, no group or task should ever be initiated. I am not against a group that has a clear need to fulfill. I have yet to see what need a NJ geocaching group would satisfy.

Fro.

quote:

The one that exists now is poorly organized.

Things are not communicated to people who have expressed an interest.

I don't understand the resistance to the idea. No one here is laying down rules on how this should be done.

People are looking for opinions on how a group could be formed that would suit the majority of people interested.

People who don't want to be included, don;t have to be. I can be a gun owner but don;t need to be a member of the NRA. But I know that the NRA has a more powerful voice then I ever would by myself.

This NJGA should start as a social organization and IF neccessary move to a more offical capacity.

Two points I'd like to make:

1. Any group in its infancy looks -- IS -- disorganized. That's a given.

2. Sooner or later, someone will speak on behalf of the geocachers of NJ, whether or not anyone likes it. Any tiny group / cult / movement is judged by the actions and words of it's members. There doesn't need to be any organization -- just one cachers talking to one park ranger will do it. SO y'all are gonna be represented whether you like it or not, whether an organization exists or not.

But. Right now, NJGA has the luxury of being just a social club. So I'll shelve my call for an official "voice" for NJ cachers.

Fro -- you were at the 1st meeting. Do you consider yourself a member of NJGA?

I consider myself a member. As such, I'm calling a meeting in the forums. I'll start another topic and we can start asking members what they -- scratch that -- asking what we want NJGA to be.

What are the reasons other states have started groups?

I'll bet its not all because they had to deal with law enforcement. I'll bet some got together so they could organize better events.

quote:

1. Any group in its infancy looks -- IS -- disorganized. That's a given.

Not necessarily. But even so, groups begin with a purpose. Thus far, I see none for this group.

quote:
2. Sooner or later, someone will speak on behalf of the geocachers of NJ, whether or not anyone likes it. Any tiny group / cult / movement is judged by the actions and words of it's members.

This tiny group, so far, has 23 members. Do you propose that those 23 members speak for all NJ geocachers? I hope not. There were lots of prominent NJ cachers who were not in attendance. There are others who do not participate in these fora. There are others still who have chosen not to join. Is it fair that a tiny group of cachers speak for the larger population under these circumstances?

quote:
Fro -- you were at the 1st meeting. Do you consider yourself a member of NJGA?

I do not think I was at the first meeting. I attended an event. What passed for a meeting, I believe, was over before I arrived. I was caching prior to arriving there and I cached when I got there. I voted on nothing, discussed no group business, signed my name to nothing, etc.

The NJGA site states it has 23 members. I am not one of the 23.

quote:
I consider myself a member. As such, I'm calling a meeting in the forums. I'll start another topic and we can start asking members what they -- scratch that -- asking what __we__ want NJGA to be.

I suppose this is the crux of my issue . . . how can a group be created then decide what it is to do?

Fro.

quote:

What are the reasons other states have started groups?

I'll bet its not all because they had to deal with law enforcement. I'll bet some got together so they could organize better events.

I do not know.

I have been involved in a major needs assessment at work this year. The above sentiment has surfaced on a number of occassions. Many have pointed to other places who have instituted this or that, thought it was a good thing to do, and wanted us to follow suit.

Yet, that is not how progress is made. During a needs assessment, needs are highlighted. Then plans are instituted to address those needs. After the plan has been implemented, one assesses again to determine if the action was successful. One also continues to complete needs assessments as needs change over time.

I do not think forming a group because Michigan, Georgia, and Maryland have all formed their own groups.

Perhaps there is a compelling reason for a group in NJ. I've yet to hear it, however.

Fro.