Geocache Swag ideas! Dollar stores, Homemade, and more!

Ultralight01

Blow-up toys

Wallets

Rubber band guns

Bouncy balls

Geocaching hobby supplies (stickers, compass, tattoos, etc.

Party toys (plastic is your friend)

Homemade duct tape Geocaching wallet

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8JZ8DrrSaqIfjNNRW0zcEhpRDQ3a0paRklmNFU5WnA2TGhjQzBJNnk1R1JxX2V2SW5ieDQ

Keychains and bracelets

Game dice! (10 for $1 at dollar tree)

Foreign money

Small hand paintings in plastic bags

Small books or trading cards in a zip-lock bag!

My husband is a huge Lego fan, so he's been collecting all the Series minifigs as they come out. Since they are typically in sealed foil baggies and you can't tell which one you're going to get, you frequently end up with duplicates. The duplicates make excellent SWAG. Hubby also had many old Hot Wheels, Transformer toys and GI Joe left from childhood that he is slowly caching away little by little.

Being of the artsy/craftsy type myself, I love the idea of handmade SWAG. It's always exciting to find something creative that someone else has made. Here are a few things I've made and left in caches:

-beaded bracelets, ear rings and key chains

-crochet doilies, coasters, pot holders, Christmas ornaments, head bands, floral embellishments, ear rings

-carved/wooden coins, pendants, crosses

-paper blank greeting cards, origami animals

-painted rocks

Additionally, art and craft supplies which can be used to make your own SWAG can also be left in a cache. Things like beads, shells, glitter, sparkle pens, stickers...

Of course, it's always a good idea to put your SWAG in a protective Zip-Loc so it will not draw moisture being left in a cache for several weeks or months.

Similar to others on the post I decided on some small trinkets, mostly stuff that could be found at the 'dollar' store or bought in bulk for cheep online (most of it is 20 cent a piece or less, least thats the aim).

-plastic animals/dinosaurs

-colourful marbles (both from the dollar store and from the toy store for a variety)

-Glow in the dark insects

-Stretchy lizards

-eraser butterflies and flowers

-various magnets

-a few freebee swag promotional things from work

...now I just need to find some good snakes...and nice insects....and...heh, maybe I'm addicted to a different treasure hunt (and I don't even have kids to take out to find caches...) o_O

I wanted to get some swag recently so have been keeping my eyes out. Really hard to find things at first so I ordered some online (don't have them in hand yet)...then I started finding stuff at local stores. The quality varies greatly. I got a pack of 25 dinos at the grocery store for 4$ but they don't look great, and just today found some dinos at the larger dollar+ store and they have nice realistic pant and was a pack of 10 for $1.25 so that was prity good. (took a few photos but looks like I need to host somewhere first so not going to bother right now)

Things I decided to stay AWAY from: anything with metal. (Found too many a cache with a useless rusted metal thing that while it rusted away also ruined the other items and got all over the box and log book....no metal please!) and anything soft or fabric that may rot...

I like the idea of a signature item...but my first handmade item (crochet butterfly) turned out mutated so....that needs more work. :P But I really like some of the ideas on the homemade sig items discussion (ie the polymer clay 'coins'! Awesome. But I'm trying to resist buying a whole new set of craft things... Wooden tokens are kinda cool. also: Some I DON'T like...bottle caps are still garbage to me even it it has a paper stuck to it, I just don't see the appeal.)

Also have to second the "second hand store" items others have posted. This week I stopped by my local thrift shop and found a few bags of miscellaneous 'junk' and was very pleased with the items when I got home and sorted them out. Exactly what I needed and a good variate for all tastes. (I did buy the marbles and flower, butterfly erasers new)

Below is a photo of some of the goodies. ~6$ filled up a 4 L lock'n'lock (and should likely supply many many dozens of caches).

IMG_8288crop.JPG

Edited by Duskywing

Signature items (physical items that testify your presence) are very common, and many people like them. The most simple sig items are business cards (a bit dull IMHO unless they're illustrated) or pieces of laminated paper like geostamps. Laminated items set you free to choose the design of your choice.

• Upvote 1

Great thread, traditional size caches with logbooks and swag is what geocaching is all about! My kids love to find caches with swag. My youngest likes McDonalds happy meal toys. I try to leave something for adults and kids alike. Matchbox cars are popular for the kids and can be bought for a little over a dollar at Walmart. 

Edited by TahoeJoe
On 27/09/2015 at 11:22 PM, Duskywing said:

Also have to second the "second hand store" items others have posted. This week I stopped by my local thrift shop and found a few bags of miscellaneous 'junk' and was very pleased with the items when I got home and sorted them out. Exactly what I needed and a good variate for all tastes. (I did buy the marbles and flower, butterfly erasers new)

Below is a photo of some of the goodies. ~6$ filled up a 4 L lock'n'lock (and should likely supply many many dozens of caches).

IMG_8288crop.JPG

I'm a big fan of your family-friendly swag-size quality-container caches and the family-friendly locations you put them in. I few years ago I was happy to find one of your handmade crocheted butterflies. I keep a huge mason jar filled with fun items I've found in geocaches and your butterfly is in there. I will look at your account to see if you've hidden any more caches. I pretty much stopped geocaching because of the lack of responsible ownership in our area, and the dominating abandoned micro, log-only caches with wet logs. It will be refreshing to try again knowing I'll find one of your all-round excellent geocaches. 

I pick up SPECIAL trade items when they are at bargain basement price. A couple years ago I purchased 50 key chain combination laser/flashlights for $.50 ea. A month ago I found fidget spinners in a gas station for $1 each. I purchased 50. A flee market visit produced about 200 girls necklaces with pop-bead fasteners for $20.00.

These types of items go to kids I meet in the field that are caching with their parents, or show up at Events. I also place them in special caches designed for kids.

• Upvote 1

This time of year we usually hunt down an area that has a couple containers large enough, get an ok with their owners, and leave still-boxed ornaments from the plant's parent company.  We'll fill ammo cans.  A little "extra" maybe to make it fun for those who may have received a new play toy for finding things on Christmas, and might get them n the kids out of the house a bit.    :)

Tomorrow I'm hitting a couple already found and dropping them off (just passing through).  Too many small containers ( pill bottles aren't small...) and just couldn't find enough regulars ( PB jars aren't regular either...) to come close to what was left in past years.  Maybe next year...

There's a couple "smalls" not hit in the area to add some finds while out enjoying the day too.    :)

• Upvote 1