New coin series question

Harwell5

I've been thinking about creating a series of coins that actually has an endless limit of topic possibilities for the design. At least I think it does at this early stage. I would like some input though from the community.

What "topic" on a coin do you think is most desired or sought after by the geocaching community? (for example, we've seen dragons, geocaching symbols, Celtic designs, Signal the frog, pirates, etc.)

What "topic" do you think should be on a coin that hasn't been or at least you haven't seen one? (fruit, weather patterns, cutlery, etc.)

Just hoping to get some ideas in the early stages.

Thanks,

H5

I think you are being a little bit too vague for any comments :D

Not sure how much more clear my question could be. I am just looking for what the community likes to see more in a geocoin, what types of coins are more desirable than others, etc.? Do they have a certain topic? Do they prefer unique shapes, etc.? I know the "look" that I am thinking of creating, but the topic or main "character" or "focus" of the coin can be different.

You know, usually the designers prefer to have and develope their own ideas, instead of proceeding from other's.

On the other hand, someone without art skills, can ask for help on several producing houses, so if you have some ideas for a new series, go ahead and amaze us.

You can see some of my work here, and share your too.

Everybody is welcome!

I'm not looking to steal ideas or "proceeding from other's". I have my own idea. I am looking for general topics of interest in the community that the community likes to see on coins that could be considered for use in my design.

I do not have anything on paper drawn and I am certainly no Chris Mackey, but thoughts in my head are pretty good. Heck, it may never even go further than my mind. Again, just trying to see what the community likes to see on coins.

... what the community likes to see on coins.

Almost everything... but the most important is what YOU like for your own geocoin.

Keep in mind that not all the ideas have to be produced, but as soon you start to show your ideas the community (and collectors) will say if they are willing to buy.

That's what we all do. Good luck!

Edited by RuideAlmeida
... what the community likes to see on coins.

Almost everything...

Completely agree, just curious if any topic design stands out more than other.

Maybe my question should have been ..... what would you NOT like to see on a new coin? What topics are too much and seem to be overtaking designs? LOL! :laughing:

I don't think there is an answer to the original question as asked. There are as many subjects as there are individual interests. Birds, dogs, cats, dragons, parks, buildings, cities, countries, cars, boats, planes, food, flowers, scenery, holidays, sports, milestones ... just to name a few.

There are a few coiners who need to buy everything in every version, in order to feed their addiction. :o ... any subject will do ... :lol: Then there are the 'I like this look or subject' buyer, which I would think accounts for most coin buyers and collectors.

A few that seem to stand out are 'Signal' coins that meet with Groundspeak's approval. Event coins, especially Mega events, usually tied to the theme of the event. World event oriented coins. Other than that, if the design is good, the sales will be there.

My 5 cents as a non-collector (I do have some coins, but just those that I relate to in any way):

I recently read a lot of old stuff in this forum.

In the "old ages" (like before 2007) most people made just their own personal geocoin - they designed stuff that was special for them and/or showed what they are about as a geocacher.

It also worked for location based and event coins, and the coin clubs tried to create coins about geocaching - people identify with all this.

Like in late 2006/2007 some people started making coins that weren't personal anymore, but they were kind of commercial. Designs got more and more exorbitant and a lot of coins came in more than 4 varieties (of metals/colors).

Coin collectors started complaining about more and more coins that even didn't have anything to do with geocaching anymore. People didn't want to spend more than $10 for a coin that was produced in too big quantities. The collecting value of a lot of coins went down, because there were just too many of them.

This was the start of basically everyone stopping to try to own every coin, because they had to select for monetary reason - and a lot of people decided to stick to personal coins and to avoid pricy, mediocre designed and dull (= topic failing to relate). At the same time they still have a long wish list of good quality coins they really want to have...

(my guess is that by 2008 there were more than 1500 different produced coin designs in existence with an average of 2-3 editions each - and that's about a quarter of what we have today - it's hard to think of anything that nobody thought of before).

To make a long story short:

The geocoin community here doesn't seem to like coins that are made for a mass market as the main purpose. The mass market (people who buy coins for relatives as a Christmas gift and don't know what they buy...) doesn't usually happen here.

This seems to be your problem: You don't want to make your own personal coin - if you did, you'd know what it would be about.

So you want to make a coin for others.

And the question is: Why?

(of course everbody thinks about how to make the coin attractive for others, because you want people to like them. But that's step 2 - the question of how to design it)

This is what I found in an older post and I believe is true as well:

You could make one pretty much just about anything, and you'll find a group of people who are interested in whatever subject you chose. These forums are only a small percentage of the geocoiners out there. And frankly, I think by asking here you are risking duplicates on the market, because other coinmakers are reading this too. And you might not find a lot of coiners giving up their unique ideas for someone else to use. It's not that easy to come out with original ideas, that haven't been done already, with the number of coins out there. Why not read all the forums in here and see what geocachers are interested in?