Multi Cache with stages in two different counties

Lt.Ranger.Bob

I have just found a multi cache that had two stages. The first stage of the cache was on one side of the state while the final was on the other side of the state. The distance between the two stages is over 100 miles but that really has nothing to do with my question. The geocache is currently showing the first stage county in my found log but I have been wondering if I should edit the log to reflect the county that the final was located at and I logged the cache.

I don't think this is something that will be coming up a lot but I am wondering what the thinking is of the people on the forum.

The geocache is currently showing the first stage county in my found log but I have been wondering if I should edit the log to reflect the county that the final was located at and I logged the cache.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. The county isn't recorded as part of any log, nor did you mention the county yourself in your log:

Found it while caching with jldh. TFTH. SL. Thanks for the fun.

Can you describe where you're seeing the county?

I have just found a multi cache that had two stages. The first stage of the cache was on one side of the state while the final was on the other side of the state. The distance between the two stages is over 100 miles but that really has nothing to do with my question. The geocache is currently showing the first stage county in my found log but I have been wondering if I should edit the log to reflect the county that the final was located at and I logged the cache.

I don't think this is something that will be coming up a lot but I am wondering what the thinking is of the people on the forum.

This may not be what you want to hear but i'd say the listed coordinates on the cache page would be the ones to use. I'm pretty sure that statistical programs and websites would use this for generation of county stats.

Edited by Mudfrog

The data used for stats is where the multi starts which seems logical.

A while ago we did two (WW I, "death wire") themed multi's where the first started in Belgium and the cache was in the Netherlands, Part two started in the Netherlands and guided us back into Belgium. For stats part 1 is in Belgium, part 2 in the Netherlands eventhough for the actual finals it's the other way around.

The geocache is currently showing the first stage county in my found log but I have been wondering if I should edit the log to reflect the county that the final was located at and I logged the cache.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. The county isn't recorded as part of any log, nor did you mention the county yourself in your log:

Found it while caching with jldh. TFTH. SL. Thanks for the fun.

I made sure not to mention the counties involved so I don't give anything away on these caches. I use GSAK and it is very easy to get the Country, State and County information into the caches.

For what purpose are you using the county information?

If you're using it for your own amusement, then do whatever you want. If you think the location of the final cache container is the most significant aspect of the cache, then go ahead and update the county data for the cache.

But if you're using it for challenge caches, then you should probably leave it alone. The challenge caches I'm familiar with specify that the posted coordinates of mystery/puzzle caches and multi-caches are used for the challenge requirements, not the final coordinates.

I made sure not to mention the counties involved so I don't give anything away on these caches. I use GSAK and it is very easy to get the Country, State and County information into the caches.

The part of your post that confused me was:

The geocache is currently showing the first stage county in my found log...

Are you actually referring to GSAK showing the county (you mentioned GSAK in your last post), or are you seeing a county associated with your log on the online cache listing?

I would go with the county the posted coordinates are in, and as far as I know, that's what most softwares will pick up (GSAK, Project GC, etc.) I haven't found these, but I know of two multi caches right on the US-Mexico border in Tijuana where the posted coordinates are in Mexico, but the final is in the US. There are plaques on the Mexico side that you have to get info from in order to get the coordinates for the final.

I made sure not to mention the counties involved so I don't give anything away on these caches.

I use GSAK and it is very easy to get the Country, State and County information into the caches.

Me?

Using GSAK I'd use 'corrected coordinates' for stats purposes.

However... I'd watch in case the cache became one of my 'Extremes' or otherwise highlighted, and might give the game away...