Can you return to a cache you've found

Miss_Biggun

I recently noticed a travel bug was dropped in a cache I'd found some time ago. The TB has been sitting there for a while, I'd like to return, log it and move it on for the owner. Is this allowed as I'm still new (36 finds)? Or is it breaking a code of conduct?

Go to that cache, retrieve the TB and log a note saying you took the TB. Log the TB.. done

Of course you can. Dropping or picking up a travel bug is a common reason to revisit a cache you've found previously. Other reasons would be returning with a group of cachees to a cache you've previously visited solo, or maybe you're bringing a friend or a new just starting out cached to a really cool cache to show them how cool it is. Or just for no reason at all.

However, you shouldn't log another "Found" log, since this will mess up your find count and besides, how can you "find" it if you already know where it is? :)

Etiquette-wise, what you should do in these situations is log a "Note", and mention that you're there dropping off a travel bug or whatever.

Edited by Chief301

Of course you can. Dropping or picking up a travel bug is a common reason to revisit a cache you've found previously. Other reasons would be returning with a group of cachees to a cache you've previously visited solo, or maybe you're bringing a friend or a new just starting out cached to a really cool cache to show them how cool it is. Or just for no reason at all.

However, you shouldn't log another "Found" log, since this will mess up your find count and besides, how can you "find" it if you already know where it is? :)

Etiquette-wise, what you should do in these situations is log a "Note", and mention that you're there dropping off a travel bug or whatever.

This is the method I generally follow. But you can log it as a find multiple times if you so choose. Some here will judge you for that too but I wouldn't sweat it.

You can revisit a cache you've found for any reason. Just don't log a "found it" (log a "write note" instead) since you techinally already "found." If the cache is in good condition you can just say "revisiting this cache today, cache is in good shape, I took the tb." If the cache isn't in good condition, or you believe it is now gone send an email/message to the owner to let them know.

Edited by Pond Bird

Ok, so to add further to this question, we took our daughters geocaching for the first time yesterday, and found their first cache.

We logged it, but the cache had little treasures, and we didn't have anything with us to trade (bad job, dad...) so my question is this:

We'd like to return and trade. Should we sign the logbook again? I wasn't planning on logging it as a find, but maybe appending our original 'find' log.

What's recommended, or am I making too big a deal of this? Although my wife & I been members for a while, we haven't really cached much, and are still pretty much noobs, but I want to start well with the girls, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ok, so to add further to this question, we took our daughters geocaching for the first time yesterday, and found their first cache.

We logged it, but the cache had little treasures, and we didn't have anything with us to trade (bad job, dad...) so my question is this:

We'd like to return and trade. Should we sign the logbook again? I wasn't planning on logging it as a find, but maybe appending our original 'find' log.

What's recommended, or am I making too big a deal of this? Although my wife & I been members for a while, we haven't really cached much, and are still pretty much noobs, but I want to start well with the girls, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

First, there's no need to sign the log in the cache again, though there's no rule against it. If you edit your original Find log, the cache owner won't be notified and might never read about your follow-up visit. I would suggest that you visit the cache and do your trades, then enter a new "Note" log on the cache Web page describing your visit. That way, the cache owner will know about your visit (and I'm sure they'll appreciate it).

--Larry