Forming group and hopefully new sub categories under Technology / Vehicles

Good Day,

I am fairly new to the Waymarking side of Groundspeak's empire and learning as I go. I have been working on adding some waymarks I have discovered over the last several months. I have found an area that I think needs improvement in the category Technology / Vehicles. As far as I can tell we have nothing narrowing from vehicles into the heavy equipment realm. I would like to eventually see a category for construction / destruction equipment static displays and if that gains some interest then maybe subcategories for road maintenance and construction / Mining / Logging...

I am looking for some interested members to join my group and maybe we can get this ball rolling.

The group name is "Heavy Equipment Aficionados" and it is currently open for members.

Thanks for your interest.

As far as I can tell we have nothing narrowing from vehicles into the heavy equipment realm. I would like to eventually see a category for construction / destruction equipment static displays and if that gains some interest then maybe subcategories for road maintenance and construction / Mining / Logging...

I am looking for some interested members to join my group and maybe we can get this ball rolling.

I have my doubts that this would fly. I recently proposed two new categories, New Brunswick Heritage Properties and Prince Edward Island Heritage Properties. The unanimous response from the community was to incorporate them into the existing category, Nova Scotia Heritage Properties. So ... this is what we did and the category is now Atlantic Canada Heritage Properties, which also includes Newfoundland & Labrador as a bonus.

Your proposed category is already covered by Preserved Machines on Public Display, so I doubt that the community would welcome a category that pretty much completely overlaps an existing one.

AAMOF, we (BK-Hunters) have posted many pieces of "construction / destruction equipment" into that category to date, as well as road maintenance equipment, and mining and logging equipment.

BK-Hunters

Edited by BK-Hunters

As far as I can tell we have nothing narrowing from vehicles into the heavy equipment realm. I would like to eventually see a category for construction / destruction equipment static displays and if that gains some interest then maybe subcategories for road maintenance and construction / Mining / Logging...

I have my doubts that this would fly. I recently proposed two new categories, New Brunswick Heritage Properties and Prince Edward Island Heritage Properties. The unanimous response from the community was to incorporate them into the existing category, Nova Scotia Heritage Properties. So ... this is what we did and the category is now Atlantic Canada Heritage Properties, which also includes Newfoundland & Labrador as a bonus.

Your proposed category is already covered by Preserved Machines on Public Display, so I doubt that the community would welcome a category that pretty much completely overlaps an existing one.

AAMOF, we (BK-Hunters) have posted many pieces of "construction / destruction equipment" into that category to date, as well as road maintenance equipment, and mining and logging equipment.

BK-Hunters

I am getting the hang of this slowly, I am surprised that the community would reject the idea of a province specific category when there are already province specific categories in play, then forcing the renaming of one of the original categories. This situation is similar. There are already categories specifically for Tractors, kind of a category for crawler tractors but it is not on the active list. Locomotives, cabooses, rail cars, right of way maintenance equipment... I would view construction/destruction equipment as more of a vehicle than a machine hence not looking in the machine category before posting this.

Indeed, the Preserved Machines category is open to all sorts of machines, but it explicitly excludes any type of vehicle. So there is a potential gap. On the other hand, the Old Tractors category accepts more than it looks at first. I am not very familiar with it, but at least road rollers are welcome there.

Indeed, the Preserved Machines category is open to all sorts of machines, but it explicitly excludes any type of vehicle. So there is a potential gap. On the other hand, the Old Tractors category accepts more than it looks at first.

Good point, Fi67. Old tractors is where we put things like crawlers, not Preserved Machines. And now that you mention it, we've done motorized road graders, which are vehicles, but I believe they went into Preserved Machines along with the non motorized ones. Had I yet found a piece of equipment that I felt should be waymarked but didn't fit in an existing category, I would have long ago been (to gracefully split an infinitive) on the new category bandwagon.

I've even been able to waymark a few old road graders in Old Agricultural Equipment, too, as many were bought by farmers to use in creating irrigation ditches, maintaining farm yards and roads, etc.

BK- Hunters

Why is there a major hesitation to create new categories if the proposed waypoints don't fit with what is currently listed.

It sounds like the general thought is to try to force it to fit within the current structure rather than adapt the structure. A motor grader even if used to drain land really doesn't fit the Machine Category definition or the ag equipment definition and really the use of the equipment is too specific to be classified as a tractor. These types of equipment are in use around the world and I know of many sites that the retired equipment is long term parked or put on static display. The equipment in a museum display could also be individually waymarked for search by interested waymarkers.

In searching I found a crawler tractor category had been created but for some reason it is not listed, I am curious as to why? I am trying to understand the way this works but am having a very hard time.

Why is there a major hesitation to create new categories if the proposed waypoints don't fit with what is currently listed.

The point I was trying to make is that there currently are categories for the motor graders and the crawlers, etc, so we don't have machines (at least ones I've encountered to date) that don't have a category. The requirements were drawn up in a manner that allows such machines, even though the title of the category doesn't necessarily encompass them.

I personally am not against the creation of new categories, but experience has told me that if one or two or three existing ones serve the purpose, the community generally "thumbs down" the idea. If you've ever looked at any of our posts you'd immediately see that I love to cross post. The philosophy is "If I'm going to spend time researching an item, I might as well get 8 waymarks for my time as 1 or 2". I can easily spend an afternoon researching various aspects of a 250 year old church, after which I figure I deserve all the waymarks that are there.

The upshot - if I could post a crawler in 2 categories instead of just 1, I'd be all for it. It's just that it's not likely to happen.

The point I was trying to make is that there currently are categories for the motor graders and the crawlers, etc, so we don't have machines (at least ones I've encountered to date) that don't have a category. The requirements were drawn up in a manner that allows such machines, even though the title of the category doesn't necessarily encompass them.

No, there definitely is a gap. Here's an example that I submitted to Preserved Machines on Public Display, but it was denied with the following comment:

A nice submission but unfortunately, this piece of equipment would be classified as a moving vehicle, which this category does not allow. Think of this category as containing 'parts' of machines that make up an overall piece of equipment but cannot move and travel like a vehicle. I tried to search for another category to submit this into and couldn't find one. Believe it or not, there ARE structures that you may come across that don't fit into any one of the over 1100 categories! There should be a category for 'Preserved Vehicles on Public Display' since this would fit nicely into it. Sorry that we had to deny this.

No, there definitely is a gap. Here's an example that I submitted to Preserved Machines on Public Display, but it was denied with the following comment:

A nice submission but unfortunately, this piece of equipment would be classified as a moving vehicle, which this category does not allow. Think of this category as containing 'parts' of machines that make up an overall piece of equipment but cannot move and travel like a vehicle. I tried to search for another category to submit this into and couldn't find one. Believe it or not, there ARE structures that you may come across that don't fit into any one of the over 1100 categories! There should be a category for 'Preserved Vehicles on Public Display' since this would fit nicely into it. Sorry that we had to deny this.

I think the category could include some mining equipment also. :unsure: :unsure:

Everybody here is the beginning text for the category I am developing this will be enhanced and changed on feedback and direction I am receiving here.

Short description: This category is for old mining, construction and demolition equipment or significant parts of these equipment on permanently parked on display intentionally or otherwise.

Long description: Throughout the world there are many places where old pieces of heavy equipment have been put on display. This category is for purpose built vehicles on wheels, articulated tracks, or very rarely on walking legs. This category specifically excludes tractors(vehicles designed for pushing or pulling another piece of equipment), agricultural equipment, railroad equipment, parts still attached to a piece of equipment.

We will allow the listing of individual pieces of Equipment displayed in a museum but the cost of admission must be posted in the waymark description. We would also like to encourage the listing of individual parts of a piece of Heavy Equipment (ie The bucket from a drag-line, that is a display on it's own or a tire from a large mining truck). This type of listing would not include a scrapped tire lying beside a road or in a farmers field.

So guys what do you think as a starting point?

Short description: This category is for old mining, construction and demolition equipment or significant parts of these equipment on permanently parked on display intentionally or otherwise.

So guys what do you think as a starting point?

It is the A-Team's experience which now convinces me that you are onto a viable new category. I honestly thought that I had submitted similar (self propelled, that is) equipment to "Preserved Machines on Public Display", so I went and checked. Of 102 submissions, these five are all self propelled and all were accepted:

Tractor Shovel

Cat Auto Patrol Grader

Auto Patrol #9 Grader

Galion EZ-Lift Motor Grader

Krupp Bucket Wheel Excavator

Given the A-Team's rejection, though, they shouldn't have been. Hence, I am now willing to state that I am four square in favour of your proposal. Go for it!!!

One caveat - I take issue with their not accepting machines which are displayed in a "pay to enter" area. I simply do not see the need for such a restriction, as such is generally not the case with other categories of a similar nature.