Multiple waymarks of the same location

ShopCrazy

I am new to Waymarking but have noticed something that is already driving me nuts. The multiple listing of objects under multiple categories. For example Mt Rushmore has approximately 15 waymarks dealing with the statues themselves. One under national monuments, one under Abraham Lincoln, George Washington.....

Why is it that Groundspeak hasn't allowed multiple categories to the same waymark? It would definitely reduce the number of repetitive waymarks to log.

I am new to Waymarking but have noticed something that is already driving me nuts. The multiple listing of objects under multiple categories. For example Mt Rushmore has approximately 15 waymarks dealing with the statues themselves. One under national monuments, one under Abraham Lincoln, George Washington.....

Why is it that Groundspeak hasn't allowed multiple categories to the same waymark? It would definitely reduce the number of repetitive waymarks to log.

Interesting, sure would not want to drive you more nuts, however did you happen to notice that your waymark Giant Mosquito - Komarno, Manitoba was already done as a roadside attraction? http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMPH75_Giant_Mosquito_Komarno_Manitoba

Mosquito Statue - Komarno MB posted by Peter and Gloria on 5/24/2010 http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM8X2V_Mosquito_Statue_Komarno_MB

Interesting, sure would not want to drive you more nuts, however did you happen to notice that your waymark Giant Mosquito - Komarno, Manitoba was already done as a roadside attraction? http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMPH75_Giant_Mosquito_Komarno_Manitoba

Mosquito Statue - Komarno MB posted by Peter and Gloria on 5/24/2010 http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM8X2V_Mosquito_Statue_Komarno_MB

Unfortunately, yes. Must have searched incorrectly for the point prior to creating a new point because I could not find a listing. After creation, I did find the older waymark. This kind of could be resolved if the 2 waymarks could be combined and use both categories for this point of interest.

Welcome to Waymarking! These multiple waymarks look strange in the beginning, that's true. But most active waymarkers have no problem with it and no one wishes to change it. All categories are completely independent of each other, and they have different posting requirements and variables. Sometimes the same thing has waymarks in different categories, but the coordinates are not exactly the same, because it is a large structure or because of the limited accuracy of the GPSr. Sometimes it is the same coordinates, but a different thing at the same location, like a sundial and a stained glass window at a church.

Combining two existing categories, or list the same waymark under different categories is technically not possible.

When you get used to it, you will see that it can even be part of the fun to discover yet another not yet posted category for a location you visit. Or make it a challenge to find as many categories as possible for a new find. I regularly crosspost (as it is called) a bit, especially when a lot of research was needed, and many others do the same. I am not excessive, after five or six it's not that interesting anymore, but I don't have a problem when someone plays stacking. It's ok.

I think the highest waymark density have the Seattle Space Needle and the Eiffel Tower in Paris, both something around 70 or so. Can you find another one?

On a more personal note: We do multiple waymarks, at the same location, for the challenge.

Our best for one location, posted by us, is 38 unique waymarks in 15 different categories.

Actually looking over the waymarks for St. Saviour's Anglican Church in Nelson, B.C. we missed one.

For those who visit multiple waymarks it sure adds to the number of visits rather quickly.

When we plan our Waymarking trips, we always start off our planning with approved waymarks for the area. As an example; someone will do a library as a dated building, however missed it as a library, wifi, dedication plaque, time capsule, dedicated bench and/or tree, bicycle tender, citizen memorial and so on.

(Not implying that all these categories are at the one location, however many are)

All waymarkers have their preferences, that is what makes Waymarking so much fun as we are all different.

Welcome to Waymarking. It took us awhile to figure out what Waymarking was all about.

I'll submit new waymarks to the categories I'm interested in.

I may submit to a category I don't have the icon for, to get the icon!

I visit on the same basis.

I like the challenge of adding a waymark to another category, especially if it's someone else's waymark. :laughing:

When I waymark something, I often don't submit it to all the categories it fits in, It's nice to leave something for others who may visit. :)