Another fake geocacher

TheRichFather

Make all of your caches "Premium Member Only" caches, and that should reduce the fake log entries.

Spammers use automated scripts so they go straight to the log page and don't get stopped by PM.

Remember that these logs are not posted by people but by computers and GC codes are probably just random combinations. It wouldn't surprise me that a lot of the generated codes don't exist thus giving GC a way to easily catch a spammer if his username generates a lot of errors in a short time.

Another fake cacher who posted yesterday:

Brock8408

Never used the forum but this seems to be the place to report these fake posts?

If you see on user profile that the account is locked (such as is the case with this one), then there's no need to report it. "Locked" indicates we've addressed that one. But thanks!

Is there any reason to have a hyperlink in a log? If not, the simple solution would be for the developers to reject any log with a hyperlink. Don't strip the hyperlink, just post a message saying "please remove the hyperlink from your log".

A real person will be able to do this, a computer will just fail to get the log published.

Is there any reason to have a hyperlink in a log? If not, the simple solution would be for the developers to reject any log with a hyperlink. Don't strip the hyperlink, just post a message saying "please remove the hyperlink from your log".

A real person will be able to do this, a computer will just fail to get the log published.

I sometimes have hyperlinks, for instance when we make a little movie about a cache then we add a hyperlink to the youtube location in our log.

There is a somewhat infrequent poster in the forums that creates links in their logs to the previous and subsequent cache logs they write so one can followed their day from cache to cache.

Is there any reason to have a hyperlink in a log?
When I discover trackables at events, I link to the event in the discover log.

When I go geocaching in a group that uses a team name, I explain the team name and list everyone involved in my first log, and then link to that log in all my other logs.

And I sometimes refer to something and link to the page for that something, in case anyone wonders what that something is.

I have posted links to other caches and to the Help Center in my logs.

Posting a link is not the problem. Spammers getting in the front door is the problem.

B.

I have posted links to other caches and to the Help Center in my logs.

Posting a link is not the problem. Spammers getting in the front door is the problem.

B.

Likely, a verified email address would virtually prevent it.

The website seems to automatically log 100 random caches from all over the world.

One of mine was logged too, so I suspect it may be linked to the fourms here. :ph34r:

Nah! You're just special. I got hit twice today and some others more the then that.

Yeah, but most of us have visited the forum too. It's not just a random bot program. :ph34r:

I was hit with the ones that happened about three weeks ago and then got two yesterday and four today. It was after getting the four this morning that I logged into the forums. Just checking to see if ground speak was close to getting it shut down again.

I am now up to 9 bogus emails this morning. Four finders on one cache and then some other random caches. Last time I had to delete them from my caches but it appears they aren't actually getting posted to the cache page as a find. Just the email. Or else gs is on top of deleting them instantly.

Edited by Jffok

Domo moderators,

Could you merge three (3) related treads?

Fake Geocacher (Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:32 AM)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334746

Another fake geocacher (Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:56 PM)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334750

and mine, "Bogus Found logs, many different user of ####.co.uk" (Posted Today, 01:12 PM)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=335151

Sorry and Thanks!

Careful what you click!

~ Dr.MORO

(Edit: Typos...)

Edited by Dr.MORO

Isnt it time GS tightened up on this - email reply certification for new accounts or even a captcha thingie for new logs? I am getting 7-10 fake finds every day.....

+1

I'm honestly suprised GC doesn't have some sort of system like this in place be now. However, I'm not sure how effective it would be as these bots have been able to get at PMO caches.

-The Happy Hodag!

Isnt it time GS tightened up on this - email reply certification for new accounts or even a captcha thingie for new logs? I am getting 7-10 fake finds every day.....

+1

I'm honestly suprised GC doesn't have some sort of system like this in place be now. However, I'm not sure how effective it would be as these bots have been able to get at PMO caches.

-The Happy Hodag!

Have PMO caches been effected too? One of our basic hides was spammed, but so far none of my PMO listings.