what type of cache to use on a stone display board?!

diggerpol

Good morning!

I had a cache GZ in mind, and contacted the 'powers that be' for permission, which was granted ( yay! ) however, they have requested that I use the stone/concrete display board to put the cache on! similar to this, but the legs are at either side! http://www.woodcraftuk.co.uk/pics/Notice-Boards/Notice-Boards-4.jpg

there is nothing metal, so I can't use a magnet, and it doesn't have anything I can hide even a teeny container in ... any ideas? apart from maybe hanging a small nano tube somehow! I've only ever hidden little boxes or bisons before!

I really want to put a cache here, and especially now I've been given permission ( as it is not often granted! )

Thank you for any help! xx

Is the landowner aware that there isn't a good option to attach something to concrete other than defacing it?

- Kinda sounds like you either didn't explain cache placement well, or they didn't (really) think it through.

yes! I did and have explained, but I don't think they quite 'get' geocaching, except they like the idea! ( they would have preferred virtual caches, but can't do these now :0( )

there is a little gap where one of the legs is coming away a little bit, and I'm thinking I might be able to attach the hanging nano. I think I just need to get back out there and have a think and a play!

Thanks

Does it have to be attached to the display board? Or can it be resting on the ground at the base of one of the display board's legs?

Such a cache could be as simple as a hide-a-key fake rock on the ground, or it could be something more elaborate like an extra bit of trim around the base of one leg (with a matching bit of trim around the other leg, to keep it looking symmetrical).

Does it have to be attached to the display board? Or can it be resting on the ground at the base of one of the display board's legs?

Such a cache could be as simple as a hide-a-key fake rock on the ground, or it could be something more elaborate like an extra bit of trim around the base of one leg (with a matching bit of trim around the other leg, to keep it looking symmetrical).

oooo, I'm liking the 'trim' idea! Thank you!

there isn't anywhere to hide anything at the base, as its on open ground with only stones/patchy grass! I think a fake rock might get moved away - but I might get one and take it with me to have look!

I wanted to hide in some nearby rocks, but that area is a 'Site of Scientific Special Interest' ( and i'm unlikely to get permission ) where as the small carpark and info sign belong to local group!

It's possible they may not be clear about what geocaching is. Can you show them the container you'd like to hide. Perhaps suggest a multi that incorporates the information sign. The geocacher would get information off of the sign to calculate the final coordinates to a container.

One possibility with concrete or stone is to fasten a metal plate to it and then use a magnetic cache.

Obviously, this may well be beyond what they will allow you to do, but it might be worth asking.

thank you.

It's possible they may not be clear about what geocaching is. Can you show them the container you'd like to hide. Perhaps suggest a multi that incorporates the information sign. The geocacher would get information off of the sign to calculate the final coordinates to a container.

sadly, because pretty much the whole area is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, I am not allowed to place a cache anywhere out of the carpark, and there is nowhere else to place one on the small amount of land leased by the group who have the carpark! I've had a good look! any of the rocks/possible hidey-holes turn out to be on SSSI land! But thank you very much for the suggestion.

... sadly, because pretty much the whole area is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, I am not allowed to place a cache anywhere out of the carpark...

In the UK?

You can hide a cache on an SSSI site...

Not easy, having to get permission etc., but you can hide there!

If the landowner says "Yes" you're OK, but the landowner may pass it up to another authority - which is where things get 'trickier' :(

Only option with the sign is hang the cache...

How easy is it to see behind the board? Is it easy access where one and all can see, or only somewhere a cacher will be looking for a cache?

ETA

Just looked at the photo...

Is there any metal holding the sign together?

Would the group give you permission to screw/attach something metal to the underneath? Then you could use a magnetic container. (Or fix a magnet to the sign, and use a metal cache container...)

PS. Are you sure it's stone? Seems a strange way to make a sign. (Hope it's well fixed. Hate it to fall on someone!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Clues to an earthcache were attached to the back of a similar sign in Acadia. You could use something like a conference ID holder velcroed to the back and use rite in the rain paper. It would probably need frequent maintenance but if the purpose is to bring people to the spot rather than stump them it might work

sadly, because pretty much the whole area is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, I am not allowed to place a cache anywhere out of the carpark, and there is nowhere else to place one on the small amount of land leased by the group who have the carpark! I've had a good look! any of the rocks/possible hidey-holes turn out to be on SSSI land! But thank you very much for the suggestion.

I see some shrubbery in your photo. If there are trees or suitable bushes in the carpark, you could attach a match tube to a branch. I think using the sign would be cool, if it contained cache clues to the actual spot. Using existing text and numbers, or especially if coords or clues were allowed to be added to the sign, which most visitors probably won't even notice. I've always wanted to do something like that. :P

At a tree branch, use a padded clip, or string, or use Velcro. Some of my Micros are match tubes with Velcro and magnets (to prevent the container from migrating around the tree). Lately I glue magnets with industrial rubber cement, as pictured. Now all you'd have to do is employ the art of hiding an item in plain sight :anicute:. One surprising way to do that, is to have it just above 6 feet off ground level. Even cachers have trouble finding a cache above eye level.

You also should use an inner, thicker branch if possible. It's usually no good if landscapers prune away the cache. :shocked:

60fadd11-c121-4e56-add4-caef74d3f212.jpg

Edited by kunarion

... sadly, because pretty much the whole area is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, I am not allowed to place a cache anywhere out of the carpark...

In the UK?

You can hide a cache on an SSSI site...

Not easy, having to get permission etc., but you can hide there!

If the landowner says "Yes" you're OK, but the landowner may pass it up to another authority - which is where things get 'trickier' :(

Only option with the sign is hang the cache...

How easy is it to see behind the board? Is it easy access where one and all can see, or only somewhere a cacher will be looking for a cache?

ETA

Just looked at the photo...

Is there any metal holding the sign together?

Would the group give you permission to screw/attach something metal to the underneath? Then you could use a magnetic container. (Or fix a magnet to the sign, and use a metal cache container...)

PS. Are you sure it's stone? Seems a strange way to make a sign. (Hope it's well fixed. Hate it to fall on someone!)

Clues to an earthcache were attached to the back of a similar sign in Acadia. You could use something like a conference ID holder velcroed to the back and use rite in the rain paper. It would probably need frequent maintenance but if the purpose is to bring people to the spot rather than stump them it might work

I see some shrubbery in your photo. If there are trees or suitable bushes in the carpark, you could attach a match tube to a branch. I think using the sign would be cool, if it contained cache clues to the actual spot. Using existing text and numbers, or especially if coords or clues were allowed to be added to the sign, which most visitors probably won't even notice. I've always wanted to do something like that. :P

At a tree branch, use a padded clip, or string, or use Velcro. Some of my Micros are match tubes with Velcro and magnets (to prevent the container from migrating around the tree). Lately I glue magnets with industrial rubber cement, as pictured. Now all you'd have to do is employ the art of hiding an item in plain sight :anicute:. One surprising way to do that, is to have it just above 6 feet off ground level. Even cachers have trouble finding a cache above eye level.

You also should use an inner, thicker branch if possible. It's usually no good if landscapers prune away the cache. :shocked:

60fadd11-c121-4e56-add4-caef74d3f212.jpg

thank you ... but the photo was just to give an example, I don't have a photo of the actual information sign :0)its a bit smaller ( I wanted to get out there this afternoon, but we have visitors over and I can't escape! )

the group who have leased the carpark say they think it very unlikely for me to get permission to hide a cache and there are very few in that area and looking at a map with SSSI marked on it ... I can see why! Hence why they have said I can use their information sign, but there is nothing else to use.

Thank you everyone.

I'd consider using Velcro. An adhesive patch of Velcro on the back side of the sign, with the corresponding Velcro on your container. Easy to do, wouldn't damage the stone monument, and if it had to be removed the residue of the adhesive would clean off pretty easily compared to an epoxy.

thank you, that is a very good idea - simple and easy. :)

oooo, I'm liking the 'trim' idea! Thank you!

there isn't anywhere to hide anything at the base, as its on open ground with only stones/patchy grass! I think a fake rock might get moved away - but I might get one and take it with me to have look!

I wanted to hide in some nearby rocks, but that area is a 'Site of Scientific Special Interest' ( and i'm unlikely to get permission ) where as the small carpark and info sign belong to local group!

I think something right near the sign is more likely to get lost, muggled or shredded by a lawnmower than something in the bushes nearby.