Garmin Communicator - no support - what now?

W3AAX

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to geocaching, but not to GPSes in general. This is my dilemma, please let me know if you know a way around this, or if you know what Geocaching.com may/could do to rectify the situation.

As we all know, plug-in support for things like Garmin's Communicator, is gone. The only way I know to store a geocache waypoint on my eTrex20 is to store it to the GPS from this site on a Safari browser on an old MacBook pro I have. With a new Windows 10 computer, nothing will work. This includes the standard IE 11, Edge, Firefox, or Chrome.

Before I found out that it still worked on Safari, I contacted Garmin support about it and was told that I need to get a new device. Go figures.

So, what is someone with a new computer to do to get caches on their eTrex20? I have scoured forums on the subject, and just find the typical "Garmin needs to update their plug-in" statements, but until they do so, is there something geocaching.com can do?

Thanks - W3AAX

Communicator should still work with IE, Firefox and Opera.

Otherwise, http://www.geocaching.com/software/default.aspx, you can download the LOC files and then upload with one of many programs. If you are a premium member, you can get GPX files and pocket queries that will have all of teh cache information.

Firefox has officially stopped supporting it because of security issues. In IE 11, you can get to the file transfer aspect from the site, but the file never gets transferred. Garmin has no idea why. That might be more of a Windows 10 issue, but they need to fix that.

I will look into Opera, but come on, Garmin needs to find a way for this to work with IE/Firefox/Chrome... period.

Thanks - W3AAX

Edited by W3AAX

NPAPI plugins should still work in Firefox. That's what my wife still uses for her gaming site that uses an NPAPI based Java plugin.

As a basic member, you could download the GPX or LOC file (not sure which, my wife and I are each Premium Members) for each cache to your computer and then manually copy them to the GPX folder on your device.

Opera dropped support for NPAPI in version 20.

Edited by BlackRose67
I will look into Opera, but come on, Garmin needs to find a way for this to work with IE/Firefox/Chrome... period.

You can get it to work in Windows 10. It is discussed in other threads. Have a read and try some of the suggestions.

Complaining here is a complete waste of time as this site has nothing to do with Garmin. You could try complaining on Garmin's forums.

Anyway, if you really want to geocache, become a premium member. Pocket Queries are a much better way. I've never use communicator.

You can get it to work in Windows 10. It is discussed in other threads. Have a read and try some of the suggestions.

Complaining here is a complete waste of time as this site has nothing to do with Garmin. You could try complaining on Garmin's forums.

Anyway, if you really want to geocache, become a premium member. Pocket Queries are a much better way. I've never use communicator.

This issue occurred on Sept 1, that's why a lot of you think it still works, but never mind. At least I can see how the forums are here to newcomers. Point taken, and I will move on elsewhere. As I stated earlier, Garmin appears to be absolutely clueless on what to do other than replace the device, which doesn't make any sense while it works with Safari. I only came here to see if geocaching.com members knew of a way around it. Obviously, without a paid third-party application, there doesn't appear to be a fix via the site.

Edited by W3AAX
Firefox has officially stopped supporting it because of security issues.

Not yet, you only get a warning and the option to delete or continue using the plug-in. Support will probably stop in FF version 43, which will appear somewhere in December 2015. From then there will be a six month 'cool-down' period. Then it definitely stops.

In IE 11, you can get to the file transfer aspect from the site, but the file never gets transferred. Garmin has no idea why. That might be more of a Windows 10 issue, but they need to fix that.

I figured out that the browser you use has to have all defaults in Control Panel --> Programs --> Default Programs --> Setup Default Programs.

As a basic member, you could download the GPX or LOC file (not sure which, my wife and I are each Premium Members) for each cache to your computer and then manually copy them to the GPX folder on your device.

Basic members can only download loc files, but these cannot be read by gps devices. Mapsource and Basecamp can read them and send them to your gps unit.

In IE 11, you can get to the file transfer aspect from the site, but the file never gets transferred. Garmin has no idea why. That might be more of a Windows 10 issue, but they need to fix that.

I figured out that the browser you use has to have all defaults in Control Panel --> Programs --> Default Programs --> Setup Default Programs.

Thanks - I will try that since even though I was using IE11, it may be trying to use Edge as the default during the file transfer process.

Well the default thing for IE did not work. I went back to try Firefox again, and after literally three times of bypassing Garmin's page of "Firefox no longer supports this plugin" I was able to brute force install it basically. Wow, this is the clunkiest software plugin I have seen since 1988. Thanks for the help everyone, and I am sure that I will probably get a premium and do pocket queries later, but I just wanted to try things out for a while. I really hope Garmin can find a way around this since I am sure Firefox will only work for a while as noted. =I

Edited by W3AAX

Well the default thing for IE did not work. I went back to try Firefox again, and after literally three times of bypassing Garmin's page of "Firefox no longer supports this plugin" I was able to brute force install it basically.

Use the "GPX" button >> save to computer >> Copy *.GPX to x:\Garmin\GPX\ and you have basically done what the "communicator" does.

No need for plugins.

Well the default thing for IE did not work. I went back to try Firefox again, and after literally three times of bypassing Garmin's page of "Firefox no longer supports this plugin" I was able to brute force install it basically.

Use the "GPX" button >> save to computer >> Copy *.GPX to x:\Garmin\GPX\ and you have basically done what the "communicator" does.

No need for plugins.

Ah ok gotcha - I thought there was more being done to the file behind the scenes than that.. Thanks.

No need for plugins.

I thought the "GPX" button was only available to premium members. Has that changed?

No need for plugins.

I thought the "GPX" button was only available to premium members. Has that changed?

Don't know. I've never been "member'

Point is, you don't need communicator, download the file and copy to the right folder on your GPS >> done

I really hope Garmin can find a way around this since I am sure Firefox will only work for a while as noted. =I

It's not a Garmin problem.

It is. It's a security problem with the way these plugins work and browser developers are finally taking action. Garmin can make a new plugin that works under the new conditions or drop it all together.

As said, you don't need communicator.

NPAPI plugins should still work in Firefox. That's what my wife still uses for her gaming site that uses an NPAPI based Java plugin.

Opera dropped support for NPAPI in version 20.

I just set up firefox and the comunicator is not working with that either. Does Geocaching. com not know of the issues people are having-or have they stopped caring.

No need for plugins.

Okay so this method has worked for me after weeks of fiddling around-Is geocaching.com going to drop the send to GPS option as this is obviously not going to work anymore? Thanks to this forum for helping me get around again without having to PQ's every time I want to add one GC site.

Okay so this method has worked for me after weeks of fiddling around-Is geocaching.com going to drop the send to GPS option as this is obviously not going to work anymore? Thanks to this forum for helping me get around again without having to PQ's every time I want to add one GC site.

The "problem" is that browsers are dropping support for this kind of plugins (security risk!). So it's not a question of GC dropping support.

This method will no longer work in ANY browser soon. Firefox will no longer allow the plugin when FF42 is released in December.

I've used the plugin maybe 5 times max since I started caching. As PM I run weekly PQs that are imported in GSAK and I make a selection of caches in that database and export the selection in one go to my GPS.

No need for plugins.

Saves a step.

No need for plugins.

Saves a step.

As long as the OP's device is new enough to support a mass storage method, yes. Try that on the older units and watch the smoke come out.

As long as the OP's device is new enough to support a mass storage method, yes. Try that on the older units and watch the smoke come out.

It's the OP's job to provide enough info to answer the questions correctly, if not we'll assume just anything when answering. "My car won't start, how come?" won't cut it :ph34r::lol:

I remember hand typing coords into my blue etrex. 90% of the time I did not make a mistake.

The same goes for my 12XL, monochrome screen, no maps. Just plain GPS location and an arrow where to go (only when moving).

Imagine the panic should computers return to the C:\> prompt after startup :lol:

It's not? Their only solution is a deprecated plug-in architecture that is being discontinued by browser vendors, and they have no backup plan to deal with it on previously supported platforms? Then whose problem IS it?

The users.

For what? Not buying a new unit that looks like an external storage device to the system, eliminating the need for the plug-in at all? You've surely taken that one right over my head.

It's not? Their only solution is a deprecated plug-in architecture that is being discontinued by browser vendors, and they have no backup plan to deal with it on previously supported platforms? Then whose problem IS it?

The users.

For what? Not buying a new unit that looks like an external storage device to the system, eliminating the need for the plug-in at all? You've surely taken that one right over my head.

Like_lg.250w.tn.jpg

/Mogens

I have Firefox 40.0.3 installed and earlier today I was unable to use the Garmin Communicator Plugin, however once I followed the instructions below for Firefox, I was then able to use the Garmin Communicator Plugin.

*** I have now updated to Firefox 41.0 and the Garmin Communicator Plugin is still working. I did not have to anything following the update to Firefox 41.0 ***

I found this on the Garmin Knowledge Base -

Link to Garmin Knowledge Base about Garmin Communicator Plugin

Question: Why isn't the Garmin Communicator Plugin detected in my browser after installing it?

Answer:

In some instances, Internet browsers may state that the Garmin Communicator Plugin (CPI) is not installed after completing the steps to install the CPI.

Before any troubleshooting is performed, verify that the browser meets the minimum requirements for the plugin.

Supported browsers:

PC - Internet Explorer 7+1, Firefox 3.6+, Safari 5+

Mac - Safari 4+, Firefox 35.0.1+

NOTE: Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge are not compatible with the CPI.

If the system requirements are met and the issue still occurs, download and install the plugin manually from the appropriate link:

PC: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3607

Mac: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3739

If the issue still occurs, follow the instructions for the Internet browser being used:

Internet Explorer (all supported versions)

On pages that use the CPI, Internet Explorer may prompt for permission to use the plugin. Depending on the version of Internet Explorer, this prompt may appear at the top or bottom of the screen. It will say, "This website wants to run the following add-on". To allow the plugin to run, choose "Allow for all websites" or "Run add-on on all websites".

If this prompt does not appear or does not allow the plugin to run:

Make sure ActiveX Filtering is disabled:

Press ALT+T on the keyboard

If there is a check mark to the left of ActiveX Filtering, click ActiveX Filtering to disable it

Restart Internet Explorer

If still the plugin is still not detected, follow these instructions:

Click Manage Add-ons

Under Show, select All Add-ons

Verify that the Garmin Communicator Plugin and XML DOM Document are enabled:

Select Garmin Communicator Plugin

If it is disabled, click Enable

Select XML DOM Document

If it is disabled, click Enable

Verify that the Garmin Communicator Plugin is being allowed on all websites:

Right-click on Garmin Communicator Plugin

Select More Information

Click Allow on all sites

Ensure the browser is set to default security settings for the Internet zone:

Click Internet Options

Click Security tab

Select Internet

If the security setting for this zone is anything other than the default (Medium-high) return them to default:

Click Default level

Click Apply

Click OK

After following all of these steps, restart Internet Explorer. The CPI should work correctly now on this browser.

Firefox

Firefox blocks plugins by default, and will prompt to allow them on pages that use plugins. On these prompts, choose Allow, then Allow and Remember. Refreshing the page should then allow the plugin to load. To allow the plugin to load without prompting on each page:

Open Firefox

Press ALT+T on the keyboard (PC only) or click Tools

Click Add-ons

Click Plugins (on the left pane of the window)

Set the control to the right of the Garmin Communicator Plugin to Always Activate

Restart Firefox

Safari (Mac)

Safari blocks plugins by default, and will prompt to allow them on pages that use plugins. On these prompts, choose Trust. Refreshing the page should then allow the plugin to load. To allow the plugin to load without prompting on each page:

Open Safari

Click Safari in the menu bar

Click Preferences

Click Security

Next to Internet plug-ins, click Manage Website Settings or Website Settings

Highlight the Garmin Communicator Plugin

In the dropdown menu next to When visiting other websites, select Allow Always

Once the plugin has been allowed on the Internet browser, the Garmin Communicator Plugin should work properly.

1The full-screen Modern UI version of Internet Explorer included in Windows 8 does not support plugins, and therefore cannot be used with the CPI. Only the desktop version of Internet Explorer supports plugins.

Last modified on: 09/10/2015

Edited by Senux

I have Firefox 40.0.3 installed and earlier today I was unable to use the Garmin Communicator Plugin, however once I followed the instructions below for Firefox, I was then able to use the Garmin Communicator Plugin.

There is a very good reason why the communicator plugin is no longer supported. Trying to get it to work by circumventing security measures is not a good idea.

Especially things like

choose "Allow for all websites" or "Run add-on on all websites".

is very bad practice. You should at least only allow geocaching.com and certainly not ALL.

Remember you can just as well "save GPX" to the right directory on your GPS or save to your PC and copy to your GPS afterwards.