[Feature request] Disable logging of archived caches

webmicha

In my region, there are a lot of archived geocaches which are still present (some of them for years!) and from time to time they are logged as founds. For my understanding, an archived cache is per definition not longer a geocache. An owner who archives a cache has to remove every part of it. In other cases, a cache which is archived, get's suddenly a lot of found logs. It's often strange to see, how many cachers are logging them after archiving, cause they have forgot to log during the time the cache was in place...

I suggest to disable found-logs for geocaches that are archived.

In my region, there are a lot of archived geocaches which are still present (some of them for years!) and from time to time they are logged as founds. For my understanding, an archived cache is per definition not longer a geocache. An owner who archives a cache has to remove every part of it. In other cases, a cache which is archived, get's suddenly a lot of found logs. It's often strange to see, how many cachers are logging them after archiving, cause they have forgot to log during the time the cache was in place...

I suggest to disable found-logs for geocaches that are archived.

Not a bad idea (sometimes it seem the same names are behind in logging the archived caches :ph34r: )

However, there should be a timeframe after archiving a cache where logs can be added. So far it hasn't happened to me but if you go out, find a cache and when returning home in the evening you see it's archived you should be able to log. Even on holiday I manage to log the same day or, worst case, the day after finding a cache. I can see problems for people on holiday who can't get online for a few days or longer (caching/logging may not be high on the to do list anyway). How long after archiving would be a reasonable time to allow logging?

Not a bad idea (sometimes it seem the same names are behind in logging the archived caches :ph34r: )

However, there should be a timeframe after archiving a cache where logs can be added. So far it hasn't happened to me but if you go out, find a cache and when returning home in the evening you see it's archived you should be able to log. Even on holiday I manage to log the same day or, worst case, the day after finding a cache. I can see problems for people on holiday who can't get online for a few days or longer (caching/logging may not be high on the to do list anyway). How long after archiving would be a reasonable time to allow logging?

I agree with you that logging might be possible within a reasonable timeframe after archiving. I would say up to six weeks should be enough for all holiday cachers. A cacher who doesn't log for several months might not be interested in logging online at all.

I know people who have been more than 6 weeks behind in their logging. There have been times when I have been more than 6 weeks behind in my logging. And we were certainly still interested in online logging.

Also, there are times when someone starts geocaching as part of a team account, and later wants to create a new individual account, logging past Finds and past Attendeds retroactively with the new account.

I know people who have been more than 6 weeks behind in their logging. There have been times when I have been more than 6 weeks behind in my logging. And we were certainly still interested in online logging.

As long a cache isn't archived, you will not run into problems, or? ;)

Also, there are times when someone starts geocaching as part of a team account, and later wants to create a new individual account, logging past Finds and past Attendeds retroactively with the new account.

Honestly, that's only for statistic pueposes! It looks strange if a gc account has logs BEFORE the activation :D But, maybe it would make sense to implement a feature to clone accounts in case of team-splitting ;)

I can see the argument that an archived cache left in place is a problem, but it's not a problem solved by not allowing finds. Given that the archived cache is there, I don't see the problem with it being found unless people are going somewhere they aren't allowed to find it. In specific cases like that, there's already a mechanism for a cache listing to be locked in the way you are suggesting, but I see no reason to do it automatically when a cache is archived.

niraD's examples are good practical examples of why this solution to a non-problem would create real problems, but I'm more worried about this preventing the much rarer cases of a cache that goes missing and is archived suddenly turning up years later. As uncommon as it is, that one case alone is enough for me to demand an argument more potent than "it's often strange".

It looks strange if a gc account has logs BEFORE the activation
It does? Why? I was introduced to geocaching on a Saturday. I created my account a couple days later, and logged the caches I found the previous weekend, logging the Finds on the date I found them.

A friend had gone geocaching with me on numerous occasions. Years later, he finally decided to create his own account. He logged all the Finds from our previous trips together, backdating them to the dates we found the caches.

None of this looks strange to me.

As long a cache isn't archived, you will not run into problems, or? ;)

Honestly, that's only for statistic pueposes! It looks strange if a gc account has logs BEFORE the activation :D But, maybe it would make sense to implement a feature to clone accounts in case of team-splitting ;)

Well then why log finds at all? It's for stats. Just keepi g track of total finds, or as in depth as possible it's still only for stats. The only other reason is to let the CO know about the cache is still there, or needs new logbook, etc. but that can be done with NM, NA, and write note.

It's simple really, there are legitimate reasons to log caches that have been archived. I you don't like it, then don't do it.