Travel Bug hotels....

acire01

Greetings Fellow Geocachers,

I have recently come across a issue regarding " Travel Bug Hotels"... When taking a Travel Bug from the hotel is it proper etiquette to exchange it for one in your inventory? I feel like it should be so the TB hotel always has Travel Bugs for the next person to come along... It wouldn't be a TB hotel without Travel Bugs would it? I also read on the site that TB hotels serve for the purpose of EXCHANGING Travel Bugs. Would that not mean that you should be trading a travel bug for a new one? I saw it posted on a geocache not to take a Travel Bug unless you leave a new one behind... A lot of people were upset about that request but I was not bothered by it because it seemed like a decent request to me... Just wondering about your thoughts on the matter. :unsure:

The ultimate goal of Travel Bugs is to move. The wishes of the Travel Bug owner take precedence over those of the TB Hotel cache owner. A TB Hotel that requires people to exchange or leave TBs is considered a TB Prison and goes against the guidelines for a cache...a cache with such wording probably won't be published. As a TB owner I think you would rather see your TB move from cache to cache instead of sitting in a cache for a long time because of some arbitrary rule set up by the cache owner.

If the cache owner wants to see a good flow of TBs in their TB Hotel, they should hide it in an easy accessible place that would see a lot of cachers come through the area and allow to them help TBs along on their goal. Additionally, instead of relying on other cachers to keep their TB Hotel stocked with TBs, the cache owner could visit their own TB Hotel on a regular basis and fill their TB Hotel with any TBs they find along their caching adventures.

There is no such thing as an official TB Hotel, nor are there special guidelines for one. A TB Hotel is simply a cache that the CO has called a "hotel".

Any requirement to leave TBs in the hotel are not allowed, as, like res2100 says, TBs are supposed to keep moving.

As a regular cacher (not the cache owner), if you want to simply exchange TBs, feel free. If you want to add some without taking some, that's great, too. Or you can take without leaving any. Personally, when I encounter a TB hotel, I try to determine each TB's mission first and only take those that I can help in that mission. (Or, if one has been sitting in there for a long time, I'd move it along regardless of mission.)

Remember that TBs are owned by TB owners, and the TB owner's desires for their TB to move and for their mission trump the desire of the TB Hotel owner to have a well-stocked cache.

A Reviewer/Mod in these forums explained that "take one, leave one" or similar is covered under Additional Logging Requirements, and is not allowed.

Those cachers that call their hides TB prisons hotels (as there's really no such thing...) probably added that wording after the cache was published.

Reviewers have stated they wouldn't publish the cache with trackable trade terms in the description.

Edited by cerberus1

Luckily the few times we've found a TB prison hotel (usually in traveling, as they seem popular at rest stops and similar), my other 2/3rds was with me (for that phone).

We looked at length of time held hostage there and missions, and every one we could send on its mission we freed.

Sent a brief note to the Reviewer on the after-published wording also.

- You can too. :)