geocaching droid phone app

cjhillofbeans

After some extensive geocaching this past weekend, it seemed my phone app stopped working properly. First, I re-calibrated the compass. But I still could not get it to list nearby caches for me. I un-installed and re-installed the app twice, but that did not fix the problem. As I looked a little further, I discovered that the app had me located off the west coast of Africa in the Atlantic Ocean (no wonder it couldn't find any local caches....) That must have happened when I accidentally dropped my phone.

I couldn't fix it within the app, but as I was perusing through Google Maps, the Google app told me to go to settings and activate a high definition locator (something like that). Once I did that, I went back to the geocaching app, and sure enough, my location was reset to where I live in Florida. I didn't realize that Google powers many of the navigational phone apps.

I wanted to post this in case someone has the same experience.

As you give no info whatsoever about what app/operating system.. you're using just some ideas.

Your app "thinks" it's at N 0° W 0° (off the coast of Africa)

Google maps can get a location by looking at WiFi and cell phone towers so it may be that the GPS in your phone was damaged when you dropped it and location is now received by cell reception. This is in no way as accurate as GPS so first thing to do is find out if the GPS is still working. There are apps that will show you GPS reception (coordinates and satellites)

BTW: minimum info if you want help is OS and used app and any info that may be relevant so people won't have to guess.