10 Years of Waymarking!

lumbricus

"10 Years of Waymarking!

This month, Waymarking.com celebrates its 10th Anniversary. During the last 10 years, the global community has contributed to a vast data set of over 600,000 unique and interesting places all over the world. Over 30,000 sculptures and statues, 5,000 museums and thousands of other locations in over 1,000 categories are available for viewing and visiting.

Some fun category examples include: Unusual Speed Limits, Ginormous Everyday Objects, Movie Locations, U.S. Register of National Historic Places, Pyramids and more! There are over 100 Waymarking categories that have more than 1,000 waymarks posted under them.

Congratulations to the Waymarking community on achieving this amazing milestone!"

Thanks for our wonderful community! :antenna:

"10 Years of Waymarking!

This month, Waymarking.com celebrates its 10th Anniversary. During the last 10 years, the global community has contributed to a vast data set of over 600,000 unique and interesting places all over the world. Over 30,000 sculptures and statues, 5,000 museums and thousands of other locations in over 1,000 categories are available for viewing and visiting.

Some fun category examples include: Unusual Speed Limits, Ginormous Everyday Objects, Movie Locations, U.S. Register of National Historic Places, Pyramids and more! There are over 100 Waymarking categories that have more than 1,000 waymarks posted under them.

Congratulations to the Waymarking community on achieving this amazing milestone!"

Thanks for our wonderful community! :antenna:

Very Nice Post - thank you!

I hosted a Waymarking event in a pay phone booth in a McDonalds parking lot. :laughing:

Yeah, I got an invitation to that event, but when I called to RSVP, some guy named Clark Kent answered the phone, so I figured I had the wrong number ----- LOL!

That has always been an inside joke for me. Back in 2008 when I first looked at this site and saw a pay phone and the local Pizza Hut listed, I just did not understand at all. There was only one local Waymarker in the area then, and they were filling grids with Waymarks.

Now, seven years later things have changed. The pay phone is no longer there, we have a new McDonalds in town, and there are two Waymarkers in the region.

I would like to tell you that Waymarking has been a success, but it's just a hobby for me. :)

I hosted a Waymarking event in a pay phone booth in a McDonalds parking lot. :laughing:

Yeah, I got an invitation to that event, but when I called to RSVP, some guy named Clark Kent answered the phone, so I figured I had the wrong number ----- LOL!

That has always been an inside joke for me. Back in 2008 when I first looked at this site and saw a pay phone and the local Pizza Hut listed, I just did not understand at all. There was only one local Waymarker in the area then, and they were filling grids with Waymarks.

Now, seven years later things have changed. The pay phone is no longer there, we have a new McDonalds in town, and there are two Waymarkers in the region.

I would like to tell you that Waymarking has been a success, but it's just a hobby for me. :)

It's a hobby for me too -- one that has allowed me to explore and learn history of things and places I would never know about otherwise. I look at my surroundings differently because I am a waymarker. My brain is always going, looking for those elusive categories :) I like leaving tough to find or oddball category waymarks behind in my travels, hoping that another waymarker will be excited with the find, or it will help a new waymarker catch the bug :)