Windows 10 upgrade

DylanT6951

I recently got the free Win 10 program from Win 7.

Now, when I got to the cache and try to download to GPS nothing happens. The computer reads the external drive but the computer sends the file to another location which I don't know where or why.

Anyone have a fix for this situation? It is a pain to make waypoints and without the info, logs and such it is like the old days.

I use my Nokia Lumina for a back up while looking and entering finds and info but many times where I go to search in the mountains there is no service. Plus the app eats up the phone battery in about 2 hours due to the GPS function.

Thanks

Edited by DylanT6951

Now, when I got to the cache and try to download to GPS nothing happens. The computer reads the external drive but the computer sends the file to another location which I don't know where or why.

Thanks

Windows 10 works great for me. Are you saving the cache to disk through the GPX button on the cache page? If so, what browser are you using? Do you have the browser configured to save files to a particular location rather than bring able to designate the garmin/GPX folder as your target?

Thanks

Windows 10 works great for me. Are you saving the cache to disk through the GPX button on the cache page? If so, what browser are you using? Do you have the browser configured to save files to a particular location rather than bring able to designate the garmin/GPX folder as your target?

IE 10 and have tried using the new browser with the same results.

Why should I have to configure anything ? Didn't know this was possible.

How is this done ?

When you are trying to download to the GPS are you using the communicator plugin (send to gps button) or saving gpx files to the gpsr (gpx button)?

I have Windows 10 and the communicator plugin, it works fine for me in IE 11 (although you probably have to make sure that edge is not the default browswer).

If you use the GPX button, both IE and Edge will save the gpx files files to your downloads folder (C:\, users, your name, downloads) where they can be copied over the garmin/gpx folder on your gpsr (assuming you are using a garmin unit that supports paperless caching and gpx files).

I normally use firefox, which gives the setup option e to choose the folder where I want to download and save a file. I press the gpx button and save a file directly to my gpsr (again,the garmin/gpx directory of your device). I could also use the communicator - although some people report problems with the latter it is working fine for me.

Edited by geodarts

Anyone have a fix for this situation?

When I upgraded to Win10, I confirmed that Garmin Communicator "sent to" nowhere, yet otherwise appeared to work fine. Weird. Anyway, here's a thread with info on how to run IE11 and add geocaching.com as a Trusted Site ("Edge" doesn't work) with steps from Microsoft, that should help:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334207&view=findpost&p=5538114

Edited by kunarion