GPS device - can I use my iPhone6?

TeamRiverside

Sorry, yes I have that app. I meant is there a special GPS device or app I should get? Or the one that is on the app is fine? Saw many people using Garmins - because they don't have a smartphone with app?

UPDATE: (5 minutes later)...... I found another post that directed me to a YouTube video and now I see I don't need an additional GPS device. I can just use my iPhone. :-) Sorry

Edited by TeamRiverside

Any civilian GPS is only accurate on it's best day to around ten feet.

The CO hopes he had a best day when he placed it too.

- Best days don't happen often... ;)

The free app on your phone is pretty-much on par with most handheld GPSrs today (what I use).

Years ago, it was a lot different, but those tech brainiacs keep improving.

I use a GPSr for the extra bit of ruggedness it provides (you could use a case...) and a lot better battery life. :)

Edited by cerberus1

Some people prefer handheld GPS devices (Garmin, Magellan, DeLorme, etc.) because that's what they've always used. Some people prefer handheld GPS devices because they don't have/want a smartphone. Some people prefer handheld GPS devices because they do have certain advantages over smartphones.

Personally, I do most of my geocaching with my (Android) phone, using one of the third-party apps rather than Groundspeak's app. But I sometimes use my eXplorist rather than my phone app when I need a device with better battery life or that is more durable/waterproof than my phone.